Good Dusty Baker Quote on Bob Gibson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Dusty Baker Quote on Bob Gibson

"When I first came up, they'd assume you could hit the fastball, so they'd see if you could hit the curveball. If you could hit the curve, they'd see if you could hit the slider. If you could hit the slider, they'd see if you could hit the changeup. If you could hit the changeup, they'd say, 'OK, let's see if you can hit on your back."'

Baker remembers going out with Hank Aaron one night after an exhibition game in St. Petersburg, Fla. Baker says the only two who ever intimidated him were his father and Gibson. He remembered taking a 17-game hitting streak into a meeting with Gibson. Baker said:

"Hank said, 'Don't dig in against Bob Gibson. He'll knock you down. Don't stare at him. He doesn't like it. If you hit a home run, don't run too slow, don't run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don't charge the mound because he's a Gold Glove boxer.'

"I'm like, 'What about my 17-game hitting streak?' That was the night it ended."
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

awesome.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Do not taunt the gibby.

Fuck.
      Are you on the list?

Comment

"Have you ever thrown a ball 100 miles an hour? Everything hurts. Even your ass hurts. I see pictures of my face and say, 'Holy shit', but that's the strain you feel when you throw. I had one of those faces you look at it, man, and say, 'Man he's an ass-hole.' Could be, depends on if you pissed me off or not."

"Barry Bonds? I'll tell you what, if he hit a home run off (Bob) Gibson or (Don) Drysdale and stood and admired it, they'd knock that earring out of his ear the next time up." - National League Umpire Doug Harvey
        I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Too bad Gibby isn't around today to take care of Dusta. :( He is/was a bad mofo.
          RIP Stan the Man
          The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
          I miss TLR!

Comment

Gibson could still kick the ass of half the major leaguers out there right now. What is he? 60?
            Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Aug 17 2005, 11:13 AM
              Gibson could still kick the ass of half the major leaguers out there right now. What is he? 60?
              He turns 70 in November
              ricky, shutup and paint your god damn house.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees suck!+Aug 17 2005, 11:19 AM-->
                QUOTE(yankees suck! @ Aug 17 2005, 11:19 AM)

Originally posted by El Birdo 1@Aug 17 2005, 10:22 AM

"Hank said, 'Don't dig in against Bob Gibson. He'll knock you down. Don't stare at him. He doesn't like it. If you hit a home run, don't run too slow, don't run too fast. If you happen to want to celebrate, get in the tunnel first. And if he hits you, don't charge the mound because he's a Gold Glove boxer.'

Sounds like a class act...
                Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubs4ever+Aug 17 2005, 10:52 AM-->
                  QUOTE(Cubs4ever @ Aug 17 2005, 10:52 AM)

that's the pic I was thinking of. Good job.
                  Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubs4ever+Aug 17 2005, 11:52 AM-->
                    QUOTE(Cubs4ever @ Aug 17 2005, 11:52 AM)

Originally posted by Cubs4ever+Aug 17 2005, 11:52 AM-->
                    QUOTE(Cubs4ever @ Aug 17 2005, 11:52 AM)

Originally posted by justwundrin+Aug 17 2005, 12:13 PM-->
                    QUOTE(justwundrin @ Aug 17 2005, 12:13 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2005, 11:52 AM

Originally posted by Cubs4ever+Aug 17 2005, 01:54 PM-->
                    QUOTE(Cubs4ever @ Aug 17 2005, 01:54 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2005, 12:13 PM
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2005, 11:52 AM
                  Working...
                  X