• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosenthal: Management hotseats in MLB

Bad news for CSD....

It'll be a mad, mad market for management
    Posted: August 17, 2005

The free-agent players' market doesn't look terribly exciting this offseason, but managers and general managers figure to be hired and fired at a frenetic pace. Just consider the teams most likely to make changes -- ranked in order -- and remember, the managers list could grow if some poor sap turns into the 2005 version of Grady Little in October. --K.R.

General managers

1. Diamondbacks. Interim G.M. Bob Gebhard and scouting director Mike Rizzo are candidates, but this could be Dan Duquette's reward for opening the Red Sox's vault for Manny Ramirez when owner Jeff Moorad was Ramirez's agent.
    2. Yankees. This should be it for Brian Cashman. One G.M. envisions Jim Bowden returning to the Yankees, for whom he worked in 1989, then reuniting with Lou Piniella, his manager with the Reds.
    3. Orioles. Co-G.M.s Jim Beattie and Mike Flanagan hired former manager Lee Mazzilli and failed to upgrade the team's starting pitching. Beattie likely would be the odd man out; the question is how much power Flanagan would retain.
    4. Devil Rays. Believe it or not, Chuck LaMar should be safe as long as the ownership stalemate continues. The moment Stuart Sternberg takes control from Vince Naimoli, LaMar will be gone.
    5. Nationals. Jim Bowden isn't a lock to stay once the franchise gets sold -- not when the team could finish last in the N.L. East and Cashman or former Astros G.M. Gerry Hunsicker could be had.
    6. Reds.The team's improvement under interim manager Jerry Narron could be enough to save Dan O'Brien. Owner Carl Lindner wouldn't be keen on paying off the final year of O'Brien's contract.
    7. Royals. Allard Baird is signed through 2006, but how can ownership justify keeping him? The Royals are headed for their second straight 100-loss season and their third in four years.
    8. Mariners.Attendance has dropped by nearly 1 million in the past four seasons, and the team is headed for its second straight last-place finish under Bill Bavasi despite an $85.9 million payroll.
    9. Phillies. Team president Dave Montgomery is both loyal and methodical; barring a September collapse, Ed Wade looks safe.

Managers

1. Devil Rays. Does anyone seriously believe Lou Piniella will return?
    2. Cubs. Enough with the false claims of devotion on both sides; Dusty Baker needs to go. The Tribune Co. won't want to pay off the final year of his contract but could allow Baker -- wink, wink -- to pursue another job.
    3. Pirates. Lloyd McClendon is not without positive attributes, but G.M. Dave Littlefield needs to save his own job. Given the club's influx of young talent, the right choice would be a manager with a strong background in player development.
    4. Dodgers. It's doubtful G.M. Paul DePodesta ever will get comfortable with Jim Tracy. Angels pitching coach Bud Black and A's bullpen coach Bob Geren are alternatives. Tracy, a native of Hamilton, Ohio, could fit in with the Reds.
    5. Marlins. Owner Jeffrey Loria loves Jack McKeon, but the rumblings about McKeon's status almost certainly will resume if the Marlins fail to reach the postseason.
    6. Yankees. Anything is possible if the Yankees miss the postseason, even if George Steinbrenner owes Joe Torre $6.1 million next season and $7 million in 2007.
    7. Tigers. Alan Trammell is not the reason for the team's sudden fade, but because of increased expectations, the pressure on him is mounting.
    8. Nationals. A new owner and a new G.M. could translate to a different role for Frank Robinson.

Don't forget about these guys

Desperately seeking a new manager or G.M.? Several intriguing candidates are out of baseball or working in diminished roles.
    Gerry Hunsicker. The former Astros G.M. likely is energized after a year away from owner Drayton McLane. His name could surface with the Nationals, Diamondbacks and Devil Rays.
    Pat Gillick. Life is Unfair, Example 6,074: The Devil Rays' Chuck LaMar currently is employed as a G.M.; Gillick is not.
    Jim Leyland. The Orioles are but one possibility. The Tigers could be another viable option for Leyland, who would want a chance to win and the opportunity to remain close to his Pittsburgh home.
    Jim Fregosi. He's a favorite of scouts and certain executives, who contend Fregosi would be better than all but a handful of current managers.
    Grady Little. Some low-revenue team would look very smart for hiring him.
    Larry Bowa. Pitching coach Joe Kerrigan might have been the bigger problem in Philadelphia. It's not out of the question that Bowa will get another shot. --K.R.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

2. Cubs. Enough with the false claims of devotion on both sides; Dusty Baker needs to go. The Tribune Co. won't want to pay off the final year of his contract but could allow Baker -- wink, wink -- to pursue another job.
    ++ *

Comment

I hope a sniper takes Ed Wade out.
      Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Originally posted by CSD@Aug 17 2005, 01:00 PM
        "Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight."

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man+Aug 17 2005, 02:05 PM-->
          QUOTE(Moon Man @ Aug 17 2005, 02:05 PM)

Originally posted by Moon Man+Aug 17 2005, 02:05 PM-->
          QUOTE(Moon Man @ Aug 17 2005, 02:05 PM)

Wh-what's a d-d-double switch?
          Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

+ =

Comment

Originally posted by CSD@Aug 17 2005, 02:15 PM

Wh-what's a d-d-double switch?
              COUNTRY CHARLIE!!!!!11111

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

http://www.fireedwade.com/

Just came across that.

LP
                \'user \'user \'user\'user\'user\'user\'user
                Official Lounge Sponsor of Dwight Freeney

Comment

Originally posted by lazypenguin@Aug 17 2005, 01:21 PM
                  http://www.fireedwade.com/

Just came across that.

LP
                  Roll Call.

And I suggest you not use those initials on this board, unless you enjoy being ridiculed for your hockey incompetence.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man+Aug 17 2005, 12:26 PM-->
                    QUOTE(Moon Man @ Aug 17 2005, 12:26 PM)

Originally posted by CSD@Aug 17 2005, 02:00 PM
                    LMAO!!
                    Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

"Not gonna do it. Not at this juncture. Thousand points of light."
                      RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                      You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X