Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cardinals (75-44) vs Diamondbacks (56-64)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardinals (75-44) vs Diamondbacks (56-64)

Time for me to give it another shot. I am 1-0 at Busch, after all.

Game time: 7:10 CDT

Mark Mulder
    no appearance vs AZ in 2005
    1-0, 0.00 vs AZ lifetime (1-hitter)
    6-2, 3.11 at home in 2005

Brandon Webb
    0-1, 5.14 vs StL in 2005
    0-2, 5.54 vs StL lifetime
    7-3, 3.67 on the road in 2005

Mulder is 3-1, 3.99 his last 5 outings. Cardinals are 8-2 his last 10 starts.
    Webb is 2-2, 4.32 his last 5 outings. The Diamondbacks are 3-7 in his last 10 starts.

vs Mulder
    Counsell 0-4
    Clayton 3-10, 1rbi, 1bb, 3k
    Gonzalez 0-3, 2k
    Clark 0-3, 1k
    Glaus 5-28, 1hr, 3rbi, 7bb, 9k
    Green 1-4
    Tracy [no at bats]
    Stinett 0-2

vs Webb
    Eckstein 1-4
    Taguchi [no at bats]
    Pujols 2-8, 1rbi, 2k
    Edmonds 2-5, 1hr, 3rbi, 2bb, 2k
    Grudzielanek 1-3
    Mabry 3-4, 2rbi
    Nunez 1-3
    Diaz/Mahoney [no at bats]

Go Cards!
    Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
    Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
    There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
    "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
    "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Originally posted by Tazlaz@Aug 17 2005, 12:16 AM
    Time for me to give it another shot. I am 1-0 at Busch, after all. And Jhuegy is pissed at me because he wanted to start this GDT because his boy Mark Mulder is starting this game but I am just a post padder that will never catch Jhuegy anyway!

fixed. :(
    RIP Stan the Man
    The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
    I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by jhuegy+Aug 17 2005, 08:21 AM-->
      QUOTE(jhuegy @ Aug 17 2005, 08:21 AM)

"I was thinking about that home run today."
      -- D-Backs manager Bob Melvin, on Craig Counsell's homer at Busch Stadium during the 2001 NLDS.
      I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Originally posted by *007*+Aug 17 2005, 08:23 AM-->
        QUOTE(*007* @ Aug 17 2005, 08:23 AM)
        Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2005, 08:21 AM

The St. Louis Cardinals continue to find ways to win despite key injuries to Scott Rolen, Larry Walker and Reggie Sanders.

So Taguchi matched career highs with four hits and three RBIs, and Jeff Suppan pitched seven strong innings to win for the third time in four starts in an 8-2 victory over the Diamondbacks on Tuesday.

``We said last year that if he played more, it looked like he would do more,'' Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said of Taguchi. ``And he's playing more and doing more.''

Jim Edmonds had a pair of run-scoring singles and Albert Pujols had two hits and an RBI to help the Cardinals beat the Diamondbacks for the 11th time in 13 games over the last three seasons.

Luis Gonzalez hit a two-run homer in the fourth for Arizona, a season-worst eight games below .500.

Taguchi, starting because outfielders Larry Walker and Reggie Sanders are on the 15-day disabled list, had his second career four-hit game and first since May 20, 2004, at the New York Mets. He has six three-RBI games, five this season, and is batting .424 (25-for-59) with runners in scoring position.

``Tony gives me a lot of playing time, so I'm very happy,'' Taguchi said. ``I'm not a regular. Larry and Reggie are on the DL and when they come back, I'm back on the bench.''

Taguchi will face surging Arizona pitcher Brandon Webb on Wednesday.

Webb has snapped out of his recent slump to go 2-0 with a 1.64 ERA over his last three starts to improve to 10-8 overall. He has 17 strikeouts over his last 15 innings. The right-hander is 0-2 with a 5.54 ERA in three career starts against St. Louis.
        ricky, shutup and paint your god damn house.

Comment

ST. LOUIS -- With the exception of his last start Mark Mulder, has been sharp and reliable for the Cardinals dating back to late June. Mulder (13-6, 4.10 ERA) had won five straight decisions before being tripped up by Chicago last Thursday in an 11-4 loss.

However, Thursday was a day start and the bad outing continued a mysterious trend for Mulder. He is now 1-5 with a 7.57 ERA in day games as opposed to 12-1 with a 2.14 ERA at night. The game on Wednesday is a 7:10 p.m. CT start, so Mulder should be sharp.

For the Diamondbacks, Brandon Webb (10-8, 3.78 ERA) is making his second start of the season against the Cardinals. In his first outing, the Cards roughed him up for four runs in seven innings.

Webb battled though, striking out six Cardinals. The third-year player can get sloppy with walks at times, but relies on an 85-90 mph sinker that stays low in the zone to get out of trouble.

Mulder has faced Arizona just once in his career, in 2001, and was impressive. He tossed a one-hit shutout, walking none and striking out nine.

Pitching matchup:
          ARI: RHP Brandon Webb
          • 10-8, 3.78 ERA in 2005
          • 0-1, 5.14 ERA vs. STL in 2005

STL: LHP Mark Mulder
          • 13-6, 4.10 ERA in 2005
          • Has not faced ARI in 2005

Player to watch
          John Mabry collected three hits against Brandon Webb the last time the two faced each other on July 4. Mabry drove in two runs, as well.

Quotable
          "Don't tell Suppan he's not a high-profile guy. He won two games in the playoffs last year." -- Tony La Russa, on Jeff Suppan's consistency

On the Internet
          MLB.TV
          Gameday Audio
          • Gameday
          • Official game notes

On television
          • ARI: FSN Arizona
          • STL: FSMW

On radio
          • ARI: KTAR 620, KSUN 1400 (Español)
          • STL: KMOX 1120

Quick hits
          Suppan's seven strikeouts Tuesday matched his season high. It also matched the most batters he has struck out as a Cardinal. He has accomplished the feat four times. Suppan has won five of his last six decisions. ... So Taguchi extended his career-high hitting streak to nine games (.500, 16-for-32) and matched his career high with four hits and three RBIs. His three doubles matched a Cardinals 2005 season high. Reggie Sanders hit three on June 4 at Houston. ... Jim Edmonds snapped an eight-game streak without an RBI. He went 2-for-5 with two RBIs. ... Busch Stadium was sold out for the 29th time this season. The team has drawn more than 40,000 fans to each of their past 22 home games. ... The Cardinals are 17-12 against National League West opponents and have their highest batting average (.291) against the West.

On deck

• Thursday: vs. Diamondbacks, 7:10 p.m. CT
          • Friday: vs. Diamondbacks, 7:10 p.m. CT
          • Saturday: vs. Giants, 12:30 p.m. CT

Comment

bump
            Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
            "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Jimmy is due to jack one. Possibly Albert too. I cant stand it how much JE has walked lately. We want action.

Comment

Originally posted by #1 Jimmy fan@Aug 17 2005, 03:48 PM
                Jimmy is due to jack one. Possibly Albert too. I cant stand it how much JE has walked lately. We want action.
                last time you said that, both of them did homer.

it was cool.
                Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Who's going to kick Mulder in the nutsack before the game?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Aug 17 2005, 04:05 PM
                    Who's going to kick Mulder in the nutsack before the game?
                    Its a night game, don't worry, he'll be good

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl+Aug 17 2005, 03:58 PM-->
                      QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Aug 17 2005, 03:58 PM)

I only say Ferguson.
                      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson+Aug 17 2005, 04:45 PM-->
                        QUOTE(Turd Ferguson @ Aug 17 2005, 04:45 PM)
                        Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2005, 03:58 PM
                      Working...
                      X