Trolleys are back in St. Louis!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trolleys are back in St. Louis!

Can super-smart talking dolphins be far behind?

TROLLEY!

Don't miss the Great Trolley Drop on Aug. 16

updated 7/29/05)

Come celebrate history in the making as the future Loop Trolley is dropped into place on the North Lawn of the Missouri History Museum on Aug. 16 at 8:30 a.m. A crew from Musick Construction will be on hand to lift the trolley with a crane and gently set it onto its new resting place for display until The Loop Trolley system opens for business. It promises to be an exciting moment in St. Louis' transit history.

Trolleys have played a key role in the development of the St. Louis region since the first clang, clang along Olive Street in 1859. From 1888 until 1966, electric trolleys (streetcars) crisscrossed the streets of St. Louis. The two historic trolleys arriving in St. Louis will be on display at the Missouri History Museum and at Commerce Bank in their east parking lot in The Loop. They will one day connect two of St. Louis' MetroLink stations, attractions in Forest Park, and the restaurant, shopping and arts & entertainment district called The Loop.

The two renovated trolley cars that will be on display in St. Louis including the one at the Missouri History Museum were manufactured for operation in Milan, Italy, perhaps as early as the late 1920s and are very similar to the Peter Witt cars that once ran in St. Louis. The cars survived Allied bombing during World War II. Following the war, the cars were restored and remained in service in Milan until the mid-1990s when they were taken out of service.

The cars were acquired by Gomaco, Inc. of Ida Grove, Iowa and renovated for Citizens for Modern Transit and The Loop Trolley Company in 2005.

A feasibility study completed in 2000 showed returning trolley service to St. Louis would stimulate economic development, produce great ridership and be an attraction to the St. Louis region.

The Line would be 2.2 miles long and would cost approximately $32 million to build. Citizens for Modern Transit and The Loop Trolley Company, local non-profit organizations, received a grant and raised private money to restore two trolleys for eventual operation along the 2.2 mile line.
    I can't believe no one on this board notified us about this. I had to find out about it on the news.

More important trolley information

Where will the trolley go. . .

-RBB

I guess our resident trolly expert found a new job.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I like this whole idea even if it is very expensive. Something different is better than nothing at all.

Comment

Do you like it at taxpayer expense?
          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

"CLANG, CLANG, CLANG goes the trolley..."

Comment

I just got a hankerin for some rice A Roni

Comment

I believe.
                Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Aug 16 2005, 08:32 PM
                  Do you like it at taxpayer expense?
                  Absolutely, if the investment will provide benefits to taxpayers in the near and immediate future.

A downtown loop would be key. hit the Convention center, the landing, the arch, the ball park village, the civic center, kiel, union station then cut over through the core of downtown and hit washington. Make sure you stop at all the major hotels and parking garages.

Eventually, run a line that goes with whatever greenway they have planned that will connect downtown, tower grove and forest parks (chouteau's pond, lafayette square, mckinley and compton heights).

Anything that allows people to leave their cars in their garages is good for everyone.
                  Are you on the list?

Comment

IN!

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE+Aug 17 2005, 09:22 AM-->
                      QUOTE(SLUBLUE @ Aug 17 2005, 09:22 AM)

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson+Aug 17 2005, 08:24 AM-->
                      QUOTE(Turd Ferguson @ Aug 17 2005, 08:24 AM)
                      Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by SLUBLUE+Aug 17 2005, 09:33 AM-->
                      QUOTE(SLUBLUE @ Aug 17 2005, 09:33 AM)
                      Originally posted by Turd [email protected] 17 2005, 08:24 AM
                      Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2005, 09:22 AM

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Aug 17 2005, 09:22 AM
                      Anything that allows morons to leave their cars in their garages is good for everyone.
                      fixed.

Comment

There's no Buffalo Wild Wings in Winghaven. The horror.
                        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Working...
                        X