No announcement yet.

Another radio station prank goes awry.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another radio station prank goes awry.

Radio stations' 'inmates' scare motorists

LAND O'LAKES, Florida (AP) -- A radio station stunt that had three listeners dressed up like escaped jail inmates went awry Friday when dozens of people called police. The resulting ruckus tied up traffic during morning rush hour, authorities said.

The three people, shackled and dressed in what appeared to be jail uniforms, were competing to try to get motorists to give them a ride, Pasco County sheriff's spokesman Kevin Doll said. The first one back to the studios of Tampa station WXTB-FM - 98 Rock - would win a trip to Los Angeles in conjunction with a new Fox television show called "Prison Break."

But after 30 or 40 calls from "terrified" motorists and residents, sheriff's deputies responded in force and took them into custody for real, Doll said. They were released after about an hour.

"We took it quite seriously and responded with every available deputy we had in that area," Doll said.

No charges were filed, because the bogus inmates didn't forcefully try to get in any of the cars. But deputies still aren't happy about the stunt.

Doll said Florida law would have allowed motorists and deputies to shoot them if they were seen to pose a threat.

A message left with the radio station wasn't immediately returned Friday.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

Purchase this AP story for reprint.
    Make America Great For Once.

Gotta give them an "A" on the originality scale, but perhaps a call to the local police department about it before hand might have been in order.

Comment

In a location where a citizen can shoot escapees who pose a threat, one would be very very careful about posing as one.

Comment

They'd be dead before law enforcement got there had this taken place in Texas.

Comment

If you saw some guys in prison attire running towards you or your family, wouldn't you shoot first, and ask questions later?

Don't give me that only in Texas BS.

Comment

screw shooting them, run their asses over!

Comment

I blame the fucking cell phones for this whole mess.

Comment

Personally, I find this hilarious.
                Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Aug 16 2005, 05:19 PM
                  If you saw some guys in prison attire running towards you or your family, wouldn't you shoot first, and ask questions later?

Don't give me that only in Texas BS.
                  Texas is the only state that I know of that allows you to carry a loaded weapon in your vehicle.

You got a Texas complex or what?

Comment

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Originally posted by steveInebriated@Aug 16 2005, 07:57 PM

I wanna learn more about the privacy policy.
                      Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                      "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card+Aug 16 2005, 06:50 PM-->
                        QUOTE(Iowa_Card @ Aug 16 2005, 06:50 PM)

Originally posted by BurnKU+Aug 16 2005, 08:02 PM-->
                        QUOTE(BurnKU @ Aug 16 2005, 08:02 PM)
                        Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2005, 06:50 PM

I'm still not sure where it went awry. No one got hurt or killed and the station got the publicity it was looking for.

Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Bluebird@Aug 17 2005, 07:38 AM
                          I'm still not sure where it went awry. No one got hurt or killed and the station got the publicity it was looking for.

Blue
                          ++

Sounds like the promo waw a smashing success.
                          Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                          MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                          The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Working...
                          X