GDT Cardinals vs. D'backs 7:10pm CT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT Cardinals vs. D'backs 7:10pm CT

After finally receiving a day off on Monday, the Cardinals return to the field at Busch Stadium on Tuesday evening. The off-day was St. Louis' first since July 25, a span of three weeks, and the Redbirds don't have another until Sept. 1.
    It's a grueling stretch of summer scheduling, and the Cards have handled it quite well for the most part. But the break was nonetheless welcome, and it may be a re-energized club that takes the field on Tuesday night.

The Cardinals will send steady Jeff Suppan to the mound, as he tries to become the Cards' fourth 12-game winner. He's been going pretty well lately, though he's winless in his last four home starts. Suppan hasn't permitted more than four earned runs in a start since June 19, a span of nine games.

Arizona will counter with lefty Brad Halsey, who has turned out to be a nice find. Acquired in the trade that sent Randy Johnson to the Yankees, Halsey has been consistently solid for the D-Backs all year. He has not allowed a home run in 114 at-bats by left-handers all season.

Pitching matchup:
    ARI: LHP Brad Halsey
    • 8-8, 3.96 ERA in 2005
    • Has never faced STL

STL: RHP Jeff Suppan
    • 11-8, 4.12 ERA in 2005
    • 1-0, 1.70 ERA vs. ARI in 2005

Player to watch
    David Eckstein has been hitting with a little bit of power lately, especially at home. For the year, he's batting .290 at Busch with a .424 slugging percentage.

Quotable
    "It's not the first time we've gotten hurt. We did well in 2002. ... We found a way to win." -- Manager Tony La Russa, on the injuries that have hit the Cardinals this year

On the Internet
    MLB.TV
    Gameday Audio
    • Gameday
    • Official game notes

On television
    • ARI: FSN Arizona
    • STL: FSN Midwest

On radio
    • ARI: KTAR 620, KSUN 1400 (Español)
    • STL: KMOX 1120

Quick hits
    Suppan's win over Arizona earlier this year was the first of his career against the D-Backs, for whom he pitched in 1998. ... Suppan has gone 27-17 for St. Louis, bringing his career record to within three games of .500. ... Suppan has not issued an intentional walk this year. ... The Cardinals have won just one of their last four home series (two splits, one lost). ... Including the All-Star break, the Cardinals are 9-1 in the game after an off-day this year.

On deck
    • Wednesday: vs. Diamondbacks, 7:10 p.m. CT
    • Thursday: vs. Diamondbacks, 7:10 p.m. CT
    • Friday: vs. Giants, 7:10 p.m. CT

Let's sweep these mother fuckers!

Holy shit this was posted early

Official lounge sponsor of new Busch Stadium!

Comment

Originally posted by DLove@Aug 16 2005, 01:36 AM
      Holy shit this was posted early
      What do you mean? Most are made right around 12:00am.

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty+Aug 16 2005, 01:26 AM-->
        QUOTE(GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Aug 16 2005, 01:26 AM)

is it supposed to rain and/or be sorta coolish out tonight?
        Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

I hope so. The Snakes won't be used to that. Go Cards!
          RIP Stan the Man
          The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
          I miss TLR!

Comment

That day off yesterday sucked big-time.

No more days off, Cardinals. K? :angry:

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Originally posted by steveInebriated@Aug 16 2005, 10:31 AM
              That day off yesterday sucked big-time.

No more days off, Cardinals. K? :angry:
              bond james bond has been on tv.

Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl+Aug 16 2005, 10:34 AM-->
                QUOTE(cardinalgirl @ Aug 16 2005, 10:34 AM)

I hope we get it together this week. I miss my kick-ass team.

Comment

Random notes/stats on the D'backs - FWIW:

In winning three of the first four games between these teams, The Cards held this good-hitting Arizona team to just a .202 average and just 7 runs scored. The Cards, themselves, only hit .242 in those four games).

Old friend Royce Clayton is on one of his hottest streaks. He’s hitting .366 since the All-Star break (37-101). Only 8 extra-base hits, though (6 doubles, 2 triples).

His middle-infield mate Craig Counsell is hitting .372 for the month of August (16-43).

Having a slow August to this point is Luis Gonzalez, hitting just .234 (11-47) with 1 homer and 5 RBIs.

Jose Valverde is the latest to hold the closer’s role for Arizona. So far, it looks like he intends to keep it. Since the All-Star break, Jose has 3 saves and a 0.57 ERA in 13 appearances.

Chris Snyder has caught the most innings in the NL without participating in a double play (724.2). Mike Mahoney – by contrast – has 2 in just 179.1 innings.
                  This game's gotta be played with fear and arrogance - Crash Davis

Comment

Originally posted by joe_w@Aug 16 2005, 02:20 PM
                    Chris Snyder has caught the most innings in the NL without participating in a double play (724.2). Mike Mahoney – by contrast – has 2 in just 179.1 innings.
                    I wonder if Wang will leave him alone now...

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Can't wait for baseball.
                      Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                      "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

I'll be at my brother in laws house for most of the evening, thank Barry he has cable so I can watch the game as his wife drives me nuts. She reminds me of a little lap dog that won't stop yapping. Feed the bitch a bone please. Go Cardinals!!!
                        I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

"Feed the bitch a bone please."

HAHAHAHHHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAHHAHHAHAHHA.
                          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Working...
                          X