What Is "Good" Music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Is "Good" Music?

Steve's response in the "Busch Stadium Performances" thread caused me to inquire...what is "good" music?

Now, as most of us know, Steve is a musician (and without having heard him perform, I'd still wager that he's a damn good one)...and I want to start out by saying this is certainly not questioning Steve's musical eptitude or genius...or his ability to critique the worthiness of any musical musing by anyone, anytime, anywhere...

His less than favorable response regarding Aerosmith and REO gave me pause...

And caused me to inquire...What is "good" music...How do YOU critique music?

If we've had this thread (and I realize, there have been innumerable threads on music) then I apologize...

I'm not asking WHO you like...I'm asking WHY you like them...or what draws you to an artist...

Is it lyrical presentation? Can you ignore lyrics and focus on the beat or the music?

Regardless of WHO you like...WHY do you like them?

I can't really put tangible reason to why I like something or not...usually, it just feels right...

I also pay attention to lyrics, though...so often they have an affect...
    " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Originally posted by _STLfan_in_DFW@Aug 15 2005, 08:15 PM
    Steve's response in the "Busch Stadium Performances" thread caused me to inquire...what is "good" music?

Now, as most of us know, Steve is a musician (and without having heard him perform, I'd still wager that he's a damn good one)...and I want to start out by saying this is certainly not questioning Steve's musical eptitude or genius...or his ability to critique the worthiness of any musical musing by anyone, anytime, anywhere...

His less than favorable response regarding Aerosmith and REO gave me pause...

And caused me to inquire...What is "good" music...How do YOU critique music?

If we've had this thread (and I realize, there have been innumerable threads on music) then I apologize...

I'm not asking WHO you like...I'm asking WHY you like them...or what draws you to an artist...

Is it lyrical presentation? Can you ignore lyrics and focus on the beat or the music?

Regardless of WHO you like...WHY do you like them?

I can't really put tangible reason to why I like something or not...usually, it just feels right...

I also pay attention to lyrics, though...so often they have an affect...

that's because REO Speedwagon (and Kevin Cronan in particular) are so bad they aren't fit to rim rosanne barr's ass!

Aerosmith for the most part blow as well.

Comment

Originally posted by fountain16@Aug 15 2005, 09:18 PM

that's because REO Speedwagon (and Kevin Cronan in particular) are so bad they aren't fit to rim rosanne barr's ass!

Aerosmith for the most part blow as well.

Ok. So why do they blow? Because I can assure you that there will be opinions polar opposite to yours.

I'm not saying they don't blow. I'm wondering why you think they do.
      " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Originally posted by fountain16+Aug 15 2005, 09:18 PM-->
        QUOTE(fountain16 @ Aug 15 2005, 09:18 PM)

Death to corporate rock.

Music died when The Clash went their separate ways and when Joey Ramone went tits up.

Comment

I like music that has a lot of emotion. I want to be able to tell that the performers really feel it. I don't like musicians who try to hard to be good at the expense of putting feeling into it. That's why, IMO, so many bands have a great first release, then can't match it. And that's why I like so many bands that most people haven't heard of. If you're making music just because you love it, it shows.

Great lyrics can save a song, but that the exception. Horrible lyrics can ruin a good song. Bob Dylan would be an example of songs saved by great lyrics. Limp Bizkit would be an example of horrible lyrics ruining a good song.

Musical talent can carry a song. But the Brian Sutter rules applies to music too - effort is a talent too. I don't mind music being sloppy as long as it's inspired.

I could go on and on about this, but I won't.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic@Aug 15 2005, 08:29 PM
            Death to corporate rock.

Music died when The Clash went their separate ways and when Joey Ramone went tits up.
            I'd like to forget the whole Big Audio Dynamite era in the pantheon of Clash history and sub-history though.

Comment

Originally posted by _STLfan_in_DFW+Aug 15 2005, 09:22 PM-->
              QUOTE(_STLfan_in_DFW @ Aug 15 2005, 09:22 PM)

Originally posted by fountain16+Aug 15 2005, 09:30 PM-->
              QUOTE(fountain16 @ Aug 15 2005, 09:30 PM)

Originally posted by Celtic+Aug 15 2005, 08:32 PM-->
              QUOTE(Celtic @ Aug 15 2005, 08:32 PM)
              Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2005, 09:30 PM

There was a lot of good independent music throughout the 1980s and 1990s. I love a lot of the post-punk stuff more than I like the late '70s punk.

Comment

Originally posted by ksbluesfan@Aug 15 2005, 08:35 PM
                There was a lot of good independent music throughout the 1980s and 1990s. I love a lot of the post-punk stuff more than I like the late '70s punk.
                I like a little of everyting (or a lot I guess), but I'm down with alot of the post-punk stuff, Mission of Burma, Husker Du, Replacements, Young Marble Giants etc.

Comment

Originally posted by fountain16+Aug 15 2005, 09:35 PM-->
                  QUOTE(fountain16 @ Aug 15 2005, 09:35 PM)
                  Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2005, 08:32 PM
                  Originally posted by [email protected] 15 2005, 09:30 PM

REO was a great bar band- back in the Red Lion days when Terry Terrell was lead singer. They could rock your fucking socks off. Never say them as anything else, though.
                  Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

good music = The Jam

terrible fucking music = any boy band

Comment

Working...
                    X