My brother..alcoholic, on probation,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My brother..alcoholic, on probation,

He lives in Dallas and his friends are apparently a bunch of worthless fuckups.

Two months ago, he was put on probation for a DUI and last night, he drove home wearing a towel.

Don't you think that if you see a guy who ditched his clothes and is wearing a towel, that you may want to grab the keys?

He had to crawl in his house buck ass naked because he lost his keys from the car to the front door.

I'm at a loss of what to do. I go down to Dallas every few months, talk to his friends, talk to him, nothing changes apparently. There's no family there and that's the biggest part of the problem, in my opinion.

We've talked about him moving in with me -- I'd be fine with it -- but is Las Vegas really the place for a guy out of control?

I just don't want him to hurt someone else, and it's bound to happen if this continues.

Has anyone dealt with an out-of-town alcoholic?
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Are you sure you two are related? You sound like polar opposites.

Comment

no matter where he quits it will be difficult. going to a bar, grocery store, or to get gas will be hard anywhere he is if he wants to quit. but before anything, he has to make the decision to quit. has he gotten therapy or talked to anyone from AA?

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi@Aug 15 2005, 08:05 PM
        Are you sure you two are related? You sound like polar opposites.
        No kidding.

Unfortunately, he's gotta get to that point where he wants to help himself first; hopefully in the interim he doesn't do harm to others or himself.

Best of luck to all involved.
        "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Some people have to learn the hard way. Even if you both lived in a dry county, he would find ways to keep drinking. But no free man has ever quit drinking against their will.

Comment

that's why I drink at home.

Comment

LVR = goody Ms. 2 shoes

LVR's bro = hammered Mr. No shoes

Comment

I was really struck by this book by James Frey. He figured out a way to quit drinking, and he had to learn the hard way. Sounds like he and your brother might have a lot in common.

No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
                President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
                President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

Originally posted by fountain16@Aug 15 2005, 09:20 PM
                  that's why I drink at home.

Bingo.

What aboot an intervention and rehab? This cat is just waiting to crash into a school bus or something. But, given my background, a good beating from caring family members might bring him around.

Comment

It's tough, really hard to do anything about it.

My wife used to drink a lot of beer before we got married, I told her if she didn't quit (not quit all the way) we were not going to be married, i couldn't live with a drunk. (unfortunately she quit)

A buddy of mine lost his wife over the shit and he still kept going, he then got a new great GF and she threw his ass out for drinking, but the last time it straightened his ass up and he semi clean and sober.
                    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

No offense, lvreb, but your brother pretty much deserves what may happen to come his way.

Comment

What a dick
                        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Aug 16 2005, 02:26 AM
                          What a dick
                          Me?

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty+Aug 16 2005, 02:26 AM-->
                            QUOTE(GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Aug 16 2005, 02:26 AM)

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty+Aug 16 2005, 01:56 AM-->
                            QUOTE(GloveSaveandaBeauty @ Aug 16 2005, 01:56 AM)
                            Originally posted by [email protected] 16 2005, 02:26 AM
                          Working...
                          X