• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharks re-sign Sturm, Marleau

Sharks re-sign Marleau and Sturm

Associated Press

8/15/2005 4:33:14 PM

SAN JOSE (Ticker) - Center Patrick Marleau will get the chance to become the San Jose Sharks' franchise leader in games played.

On Monday, the Sharks re-signed center Patrick Marleau, whose 558 games played trail Owen Nolan by 10 for most in franchise history, and left wing Marco Sturm to multi-year contracts.

Terms of the deals were not disclosed, but Marleau made $2.35 million and Sturm $2 million in 2003-04.

The 25-year-old Marleau led the Sharks in scoring with 57 points in 2003-04, matching his career high in goals (28) and assists. It was the second consecutive season in which he produced 28 goals and 29 assists.

Marleau raised his level of play in the postseason in 2004, producing eight goals and four assists in 17 games to lead the Sharks to the Western Conference finals. The 6-2, 210-pounder registered a hat trick in both Game Two of the conference quarterfinals and Game One of the conference semifinals.

The second overall pick in the 1997 draft, Marleau ranks second on the the franchise's all-time list in goals (153) and fourth in assists (174).

Sturm, who is seven days younger than Marleau, recorded 21 goals and 20 assists in 64 games with the Sharks in 2003-04. Despite missing the final 15 games with an ankle injury, he managed his third consecutive 20-goal campaign.

A native of Germany, he posted a team-high 22 goals and 16 assists for ERC Ingolstadt in the German Elite League last season.

The 6-foot, 195-pound Sturm is second to Marleau among active members of the Sharks with 530 games played. He has produced 122 goals and 135 assists since San Jose selected him in the first-round of the 1996 draft.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

IN!
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel@Aug 15 2005, 05:12 PM
      IN!
      Time stampIN!

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Biscuit IN the basket?
        "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
        "I didn't know you
        had any feelings"

Comment

Working...
        X