Hypothetical Poker situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hypothetical Poker situation

Ok, so you scrimp and save for months and months and raise the $10,000 and buy a seat in the main event at the WSOP. On the first hand you are sitting in mid position and are dealt KK. The pot is raised by a player in early position. You re-raise. Another player calls your re-raise. Everyone else folds to the original raiser. He goes all in.

What do you do?

Can you call with KK knowing there is still another player to act behind you and risk all your money that you saved on the first hand at the WSOP?

KK pre flop in a no limit game?

Go all in.
    Are you on the list?

Comment

I'd go all in after rubbing the cards all over my taint for good luck.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

I'd probably fold only because it was the first hand. I'd be pissed if I saved all that money and shot my wad in 5 minutes.

Then, OTOH, you are there to gamble right?

I'd probably still fold.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by steveInebriated@Aug 15 2005, 08:15 AM
          I'd go all in after rubbing the cards all over my taint for good luck.
          ++

I don't give a shit if its the first hand or the last hand...you have got to play your pair of Kings there.
          You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

I'd ask myself WWDBD and go all in/

Comment

Cowboys are the second best hand to start with in hold em.

Hell yeah you push all in. Fuck them. Put it his way ... if you saved and scrimped you probably aren't one of the top 100 or 200 poker players in the place.

You win and you have an advantage you can use later.

You lose, you bow to the poker gods and realize that probably you wouldn't have had another chance like that in the whole tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Aug 15 2005, 09:17 AM
                I'd probably fold only because it was the first hand. I'd be pissed if I saved all that money and shot my wad in 5 minutes.
                Yeah, so you limp along beating the hell out of yourself as hand by hand goes by and all you see are 72 offsuits.

You gotta play the Ks.

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote+Aug 15 2005, 09:26 AM-->
                  QUOTE(pgrote @ Aug 15 2005, 09:26 AM)

I think you have to go all in too....that would just suck. Especially if one of the guys has AQ suited and hits an A on the river.

Comment

Was this a situation you faced at this year's WSOP or something?

That is a tough situation. I think your decision depends on the amount raised by the original raiser. I would put him on one of three hands, Queens, Kings, or Aces. You have the 2nd best hand. The move is to fold. A couple of things to take into consideration. First is that he raised the pot and it was re- raised after someone raised him. You only do that if you had a very strong hand. Would he do that with just queens in the first hand of the tourney? Very unlikely. So, i would play it safe even though it is a very powerful hand, and fold the cowboys. I think the guy has aces.

Comment

If you're playing sound poker, you go all in.

The odds are miniscule that the other guy has aces....certianly much less than 2-1 which is what you're getting for your bet.

Even he he does have one ace, the odds are only about 20% that he'll pull another one....again, much less than 2-1 which is what you're getting on your money.

On the down side, it's VERY difficult to improve pocket pairs. The only way you can really improve the hand without helping out the other player is to pull a third K to a set...and you have less than a 10% chance of that.

The book says you go all in.

It all depends on what you FEEL the other player has.
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                      MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                      The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

No, I have never had this situation.

It is just a conversation some friends and I were having over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood@Aug 15 2005, 09:46 AM
                          No, I have never had this situation.

It is just a conversation some friends and I were having over the weekend.
                          And what would you do, mr. wood?
                          Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                          MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                          The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Nobody wants to go out on the first hand, and some players are overly agressive right out of the chute for that very reason. Go all in.

Comment

Working...
                            X