Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When did you become a St. Louis Cardinals fan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When did you become a St. Louis Cardinals fan?

It's Monday, which means it's important to get the work week off to a good start. And what better way to get the stench of that Cards/Cubs weekend out of our collective memory than to think of happy thoughts: Our beloved St. Louis Cardinals.

So, when did you become a fan? Was it in the great decade of the 60's, the down-trodden 70's, or our reemergence to dominance and WS appearances in the 80's? Did a relative introduce you to the love of our ballclub, or, as a hometowner, did you naturally navigate your support in that direction?

And as a fan, what are some of your earliest recollections?
    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

I moved here in the summer of '89. My favorite team was the Twins (it still is - but now they must share my devotion w/ the Redbirds). I wasn't much of a Cards fan those first few seasons, but by the time I was in high school I was a supporter of the team. Since I graduated from high school, I have gone from casual supporter to die hard fan.

Comment

Good idea SG.

My first recollection of the Cardinals is going to Sportsmen's Park with my parents in 1962 or 1963. I remember it was Huckleberry Hound night at the ballpark. I also remember vividly that my dad pointed at #6 in the outfield and told me to remember that man because I would never see another player as great as him. I don't know if he is THE greatest I've seen but he's definitely in the top 3. ( Top 3 I've seen, in alphabetical order: Hank Aaron, Willie Mays, Stan Musial.)

The first time I really got involved in baseball was the 1964 season and especially the world series. My parents and I made a scrapbook on the world series that I still have displayed right here in my house today. We cut out every article and picture out of the Post-Dispatch and the old Globe-Democrat. We taped them in the scrapbook and I relished every minute of that series. That is when I truly became a Cardinal fan. Kenny Boyer's grand slam, Tim McCarver slugging another one, Mickey Mantle hitting a tape measure shot, Gibby winning 3 games, the great fielding play Gibby made on Joe Pepitone and many more.

As a 7th and 8th grader my buddies and I would have our parents drive us to south county shopping center to catch the Redbird express down to the game. We did this all summer long at least once a week. There were always at least 6 or 8 of us. This was in the time that the Cards were beating the Red Sox in 67 and losing to the Tigers in 68. I was at the 6th and 7th game for the 1968 world series. They lost game 6, 13-1 and game 7 4-1 when Curt Flood broke in on a line drive that went over his head and cost us the series. Mike Shannon hit one of the stadium club glass in the 9th to make it 4-1. My mom and I spent the night outside Busch before the series started for tickets. There used to be a firehouse under where highway 40 is now. We were the first people in line on the "other" side of the driveway to it because we couldn't block their way out, just in case of a fire. Thank Barry they didn't get a call during the night, it would have probably made me shit my pants if they had.

Great times. Thanks for the opportunity to remember those days SG.
      RIP Stan the Man
      The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
      I miss TLR!

Comment

I remember our teacher wheeling in the big black television set into our classroom at school and letting us watch the World Series.

I attended my first game in 1966 soon after the stadium opened with my Little League team. We sat way up behind the right field foul pole and watched the Cards lose 11-1. I can't remember to who.

Comment

Originally posted by Burrito Brother@Aug 15 2005, 08:20 AM

I remember our teacher wheeling in the big black television set into our classroom at school and letting us watch the World Series.

I attended my first game in 1966 soon after the stadium opened with my Little League team. We sat way up behind the right field foul pole and watched the Cards lose 11-1. I can't remember to who.
          Wow! You're old.

Me too!
          RIP Stan the Man
          I miss TLR!

Comment

july 1970
            Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl@Aug 15 2005, 08:37 AM
              july 1970
              Cat got your tongue? That's a great memory CG.
              RIP Stan the Man
              I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by jhuegy+Aug 15 2005, 08:39 AM-->
                QUOTE(jhuegy @ Aug 15 2005, 08:39 AM)

Originally posted by jhuegy+Aug 15 2005, 07:21 AM-->
                QUOTE(jhuegy @ Aug 15 2005, 07:21 AM)

My first memory of the Cardinals was the 1982 series. I was watching it at home with my mom and dad... and couldn't understand why they were so excited. I have a picture of me in all Cardinals gear and my infant sister in all red parked in front of the TV...

So, I guess post-season, 1982?

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

My mom and dad were both pretty active w/ sports when I was growing up, my mom was a swimmer and played some softball...my dad played basketball and baseball, and eventually went over to softball himself. I was around the diamond alot and just naturally became interested in the sport. I was born in Freeburg, IL, near Belleville, takes about 25 minutes to get downtown from there, my dad started taking me to games, like all of the time in the mid 80s and being a Cardinal fan just came naturally...
                  You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Went to my first game, at Busch against the Braves. It was a school trip for us crossing guards, we sat in the bleachers.

Then the world series cinched it, I was hooked. I had a nephew born the day of game 6, 10/20/82. It was Keith Hernandez' birthday, and he jacked one to celebrate thus becoming my favorite player.

Whitey broke my heart that following June 15th when he made Keith the first in line of what seemed like many to be traded for pitching and to make room for Andy Van Slyke.
                    Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

I moved here in 1973 and became a Cardinal fan then. I remember going to a game with my Dad sometime during the Dark Ages (1970's) and sitting in the 1st row behind the Cardinal dugout. Can't say I'll be doing that anytime soon.

I also went to a game with my Dad in the 80's when Joaquin Andujar hit a Grand Slam - lefthanded. Remember he batted left handed when he was swinging for power and right handed when he just needed a hit.
                      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

June 15th, 1980 - Father's Day.

Somebody had given my Dad the best seats I'd ever had... front row behind the Cards' dugout. My Dad, who was not much of a drinker, had been to a party the night before, and was a bit hung over - very rare for him. Blazing hot day, sun beating down on the dugout and into our faces.

Leading 5-2 in the 9th, Cards give up 6 runs to the Reds. But they rally in the bottom of the ninth on what the box score shows as a 3-run single by Hendrick. Don't remember the play specifically, but I remember being wildly excited. Unfortunately, my Dad was not willing to stick out extra innings in his condition. So I heard on the car radio the Cards finally rally with 2 runs in the 13th to win 10-9.

That is my earliest memory of attending a game.

I remember going to a game with a friend and his dad one night. Earlier that day, his dad had fixed Tito Landrum's air conditioning. That night we went down to the railing and he hailed Tito, who gave us his autograph.

And on my 16th birthday in '87, my mom let me take the day off school, and we went and got my driver's license, then I drove her downtown for a day game against the Braves. Jack Clark hit two home runs, and my mom only panicked a little when I tried to change lanes on the interstate.

Good times.

Comment

I guess I'm older than most, my first memory of the Cardinals is 1957. We lived on University st, about 3 or 4 blocks from old Busch Stadium. My dad was a truck driver and gone quite a bit during the week so he would see how many games the Cardinals had at home during the time he would be gone and give my brother and I enough money for those games. We would sit in the bleachers for .50 each. If we went to a day game, we would sit in the pavillion for about $1.25 or $1.50 each. I think I have already told my favorite memory on this board, the game Harry, Joe,and Jack broadcast from the bleachers. Best day at the ballpark ever. We sat no more than 15 feet from them the whole game. Joe Garagiola was the nicest guy there. Of course Jack and Harry never left the place they were broadcasting from. Good times and memories.
                          I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Working...
                          X