• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walker tests neck, Sanders hits

Walker tests injured neck; Sanders hits
    By Derrick Goold
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    08/14/2005

CHICAGO - Back in the swing of things Sunday, Cardinals outfielder Larry Walker said his pained neck was feeling good enough for him to possibly return as early as this week, and, if it's necessary, he's prepared for a fourth cortisone shot to provide relief later for the fall push.

Walker, on the disabled list because of a herniated disc in his neck, took coach-thrown batting practice with fellow disabled teammate Reggie Sanders on Sunday. While Sanders, who is sidelined with a leg fracture, has yet to be cleared to run, Walker's first live-pitch swing session is a milestone in his rehab.

"I'll keep testing it the next few days, see if it stays, holds its own," Walker said of his relatively pain-free neck. "And probably even if it doesn't, we're probably going to make a move. Hopefully the next home stand is a possibility. That would be the ultimate goal."

Walker and Sanders, two of the Cardinals' four opening-day starters on the disabled list, hit in the Wrigley Field cages Sunday, with bullpen catcher Jeff Murphy throwing. It had been a month since Sanders hit off live pitching, three weeks for Walker. Sanders and catcher Yadier Molina (hand) will have scans taken of their fractured bones Tuesday, and Molina could be then OK'd to hit and Sanders sent for a run.

Manager Tony La Russa said he believes Molina could be "playing a game somewhere" by the weekend. Whether any of the three would be sent for a rehab assignment has not been finalized.

"We've got to get them on the field," La Russa said, "and then you start to get a little excited."

Molina has been designated the first of the injured Cardinals to return the lineup, and Sanders the third. Walker, slotted second for a September return, was newly optimistic Sunday about when he could play. The right fielder last played July 22 and has been on the DL since receiving a third cortisone shot to alleviate the pain in his neck.

"I don't expect this thing to be 100 percent. I don't think that's going to happen," Walker said. "I've got to go up there regardless of whatever percent it is and see what happens and deal with it. ... Everything is my call. If I say, 'Let's go,' let's go."

To sustain what is probably going to be his last season, Walker, 38, said a fourth cortisone shot has been discussed, and he's not averse to it. He probably would receive the shot in late September, aimed at stemming the pain for postseason play. He would not take a DL stint after the shot, instead doing what he did after the second shot - resting a couple of days - and ideally, he said, getting the same results.

He hit .429 in the 13 games after the second shot.

"I know another shot is probably going to happen," Walker said. "I think you've seen what I can do when there isn't pain shooting through my arm and up my neck."

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Gah. How many cortisone shots can one man take?
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

After watching Walker for years, I hope he doesn't fuck himself up for a ring.
      Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by kah@Aug 15 2005, 01:28 AM
        Gah. How many cortisone shots can one man take?
        Just Googled that, this from "About Orthopedics"
        So what is the bottom line?
        There is no hard and fast rule that says how many cortisone injections can be given over time. However, cortisone injections can have side-effects, and repeated use of cortisone injections should be done with caution. Patients should understand that there are reasons not to use cortisone injections, even if they may help some symptoms of their problem. Because of this most orthopedic surgeons will limit the number of cortisone injections they will offer to a patient.
        Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

If Larry gets too many more of those cortisone shots, his head is likely to just fall right off.

Moon

Comment

The Cardinals winning the World Series would make me happy, so I think he should take as many shots as he needs to play.
            "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
            --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan@Aug 15 2005, 09:17 AM
              The Cardinals winning the World Series would make me happy, so I think he should take as many shots as he needs to play.
              ++

He has the rest of his life to recover. (B)
              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Molina has been designated the first of the injured Cardinals to return the lineup, and Sanders the third. Walker, slotted second for a September return, was newly optimistic Sunday about when he could play.
                So where the heck does that leave Rolen?

Comment

Originally posted by backstop@Aug 15 2005, 01:47 PM
                  Molina has been designated the first of the injured Cardinals to return the lineup, and Sanders the third. Walker, slotted second for a September return, was newly optimistic Sunday about when he could play.
                  So where the heck does that leave Rolen?
                  exactly my thought
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                  MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                  The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Sounds like we won't see him til Spring
                    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

I'm certain we will see Rolen in September.

How effective he is and whether he is on the post season roster...I'm pretty pessimistic about.

Why can't the Cards get to a post season EVER with all of the top guns? :(
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB@Aug 15 2005, 02:24 PM
                        I'm certain we will see Rolen in September.

How effective he is and whether he is on the post season roster...I'm pretty pessimistic about.

Why can't ever get to a post season EVER with all of top guns? :(
                        If he's not effective (just like last October), he shouldn't play....still hasn't picked up a bat yet, either...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by *007*+Aug 15 2005, 02:24 PM-->
                          QUOTE(*007* @ Aug 15 2005, 02:24 PM)

Originally posted by *007*+Aug 15 2005, 02:24 PM-->
                          QUOTE(*007* @ Aug 15 2005, 02:24 PM)

Originally posted by TTB+Aug 15 2005, 02:28 PM-->
                          QUOTE(TTB @ Aug 15 2005, 02:28 PM)
                          Originally posted by *007*@Aug 15 2005, 02:24 PM
                        Working...
                        X