Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So what did you think football fans

The Good
    -The first team defense tackled people in the open field...I nearly creamed my pants every time.

-Why hasn't Damione Lewis looked like this the previous seasons? Is this a contract year thing? In any case, he looked very good against what is a pretty good offensive line. I also had positive feelings about Kennedy and Hargrove.

-Pisa will be very, very effective with two solid players next to him in the LB corp. I imagine he'll look a lot more like a Pro Bowler this year.

-Stephen Jackson, 'nuff said.

-Big C, Claude Terrill. If no one wants to sponsor this kid, sign me up for a second player. He looked very good and I feel very good about our line, except for Right Tackle.

-Dante Ridgeway. If Looker stops being the holder on place kicks, he better get worried cause Ridgeway is the real deal.

-Ivy and Green look like they will add some legitimate depth on defense.

-If Jamie Martin plays like this all the time, I promise to quit bitching about him. The one guaranteed thing with Martz is that our backup will get two or three starts, so we need this guy to be good.

The Bad
    -Special Teams. We didn't give up any major plays and even had some good downfield coverage. But...we still made some mistakes.

-The offensive line didn't look great. Now I know we didn't run our starters out there, but 6 false starts is too many...even in a pre-season game. I keep waiting for our coaches to develop a zero-tolerance attitude towards these mental errors. Then I realize Martz is our coach and I just curse the whole situation.

-Will we ever figure out how to defend the TE? Ever?

-The CBs didn't play bad, but they were basically facing a team without an experienced QB. What happens when some other team figures out that Ron Bartell is on the field every play and starts lining their version of Muhammed up over him as much as possible?

-Carter's missed tackle made me literally puke on myself. At least the other guy looked OK.

-Rex Tucker...its obvious Martz was blowing smoke up our ass.

The Ugly

-Sign a punter. Now. A real one, please. I'm begging you, please.

-I think Faulk looked awful, but then again he always looks awful in the preseason.

-I like Harris and Cason, I really do. But we need better depth at RB than what we have. Our two top guys can have a tendency to get rocked. Plus, if Cason can't return kicks (and he hasn't done it yet) then I don't see any reason to keep him on the roster.

-Jeff Smoker, we hardly knew ya'.

-I'm his sponsor, but Bulger...AACCKKK. He didn't look good at all.
    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

I love the Rams - but this team is nowhere Super Bowl ready.

Still needs some more work.

But this team can contend for the playoffs though.

han solo

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo@Aug 14 2005, 09:24 AM

But this team can contend for the playoffs though.

han solo

In the NFC West, they better contend for the playoffs.
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Bump for the Monday crowd.
        On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

Observations from the game -

Both teams were sloppy, even with the first-stringers. I chaulked up to the first game of the preseason. They'll get better.

Tinoisamoa was a monster, and the forced fumble was a slick play. He looked really good out there.

The offensive line, even ignoring the penalties, was pretty bad. Granted it was made up of backups and guys playing out of position, but this has to improve quite a bit for the team to have any chance of success.

I can accept Martz' explanation of Bulger's poor play this time. He was throwing too far ahead of his receivers pretty consistently. Hopefully the timing thing will work itself out by game one.

I know it was just against the 3rd and 4th stringers, but Furrey was everywhere on defense in the second half. His name was called on 6 consecutive defensive stops at one point. Trev Faulk also had quite a few stops.

Terry Fair looked decent as a KR/PR guy - certainly better than the crew doing the job last year. He might have gotten better results with consistently better blocking. ST overall was pretty sloppy, but there were a few nice plays. This needs to improve quite a bit before game 1, though.

I have to say Ortel looked like he belonged out there. Chicago's offensive scheme was pretty basic by the time he was out there, but he was accurate and composed and looked like he had some decent zip on the ball.

Fitzpatrick, too, looked better than I expected him to look, given his last-pick-of-the-draft status and that he'd not had much time to learn the plays. He might evolve into a decent QB with time. His arm looked better than I expected it to look, given the scouting reports coming out of the draft. he was throwing the ball with decent velocity, but he was a bit off with some of his throws. I'd chaulk that up to unfamiliarity with the scheme and his receivers. He'd get better with regular reps.

Smoker was awful. I blame OSS.

Martin was a pleasant suprise. Hopefully we don't have much need for him during the regular season, but if Martz can use him effectively (read - dial back the balls to the wall offense and stick with short to medium range passes), he'll be an adequate backup. He seemed to go through his progressions quickly, even with an empty backfield, and was not afraid to move around or step up in the pocket.

I saw more missed tackles and defensive players not wrapping guys up than I'd hoped to see in the second half. I know these guys are mostly there for depth, but there was a lot of poor technique shown. That has to improve, or we'll be in trouble if there are injuries to the first-string guys.

I've got a few crappy digital pics from the game - I'll try to get them hosted sometime this week.

-RBB

Comment

Originally posted by RedBirdBrain@Aug 15 2005, 08:26 AM
            Observations from the game -

The offensive line, even ignoring the penalties, was pretty bad. Granted it was made up of backups and guys playing out of position, but this has to improve quite a bit for the team to have any chance of success.

This observation could come from every single game they played last year. How Martz is able to get guys who have spent a career at one position to be "solid players" after 2 days of practice is one of his best qualities as a coach
            Sketch in STL
            Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

there was a foosball game?

Comment

I like the way Chiguy broke it out so I'll do the same...I can't believe I actually watched most of the game. I usually don't watch much preseason ball.

The Good

Jackson looked good...a little slimmer and quicker than last year maybe
                Ridgeway...he might move ahead of not just Looker but McDonald too
                Green and Ivy on defense...could provide some decent depth. need to see Green earlier in the game to see if he what he can do vs a 1st or 2nd teamer...he killed the kid from Missouri
                Defense overall looked good...but we do need Butler to get healthy
                I like the QB from Harvard...dump Smoker
                Is it possible our d-backs have learned to catch?
                Keep Terry Fair...I don't care if he never plays a down on defense

The Bad

Special teams...coverage was better but they are still doing stupid stuff
                Offensive line...now I'm even more pissed that Barron just got here
                Bulger...whew...he looks really rusty

The Ugly

The turf is kind of ugly ....but it should be better to play on for the players so I'll take it...it just looked weird on the tube

Smoker is awful
                Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

I thought the turf looked nice.

It'll take some time getting used to it.
                  RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
                  You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

was there a make fun of Jay Randolph thread yet?

if not, there needs to be.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor of Cardinals Stirrups

Comment

Originally posted by Deacon Blues@Aug 15 2005, 01:08 PM
                      was there a make fun of Jay Randolph thread yet?

if not, there needs to be.

He misprounouced my boy Zack Abron's name! :angry:
                      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Good observations, Chiguy.

Now we know you're actually Post writer, Jeff Gordon. :P
                        *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by RedBirdBrain@Aug 15 2005, 09:26 AM
                          Smoker was awful. I blame OSS.
                          I take full responsibility.
                          . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
                          -mike
                          mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

Originally posted by dhaab@Aug 15 2005, 02:27 PM
                            Good observations, Chiguy.

Now we know you're actually Post writer, Jeff Gordon. :P
                            Them's fightin' words.

Comment

I know I listed it under bad, but I'm not overly concerned about the O-line at this point. Indeed, I think it will be better than last year. Our second stringers looked passable against an above average Bear D-line. More importantly, we know that Pace is a huge upgrade over the guy we just picked up. So LT, LG, C, and RG all have above average to very good players in that slot. Surely one of Sappaia, the new guy, Barron, and Rex Tucker can step up and be passable. If not we could always play the TE over the RT sp...oh, never mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X