• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burwell rocks Terrell Owens.

Owens abuses legacy of Ali, acts like a clown
    By Bryan Burwell
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    08/13/2005

Try if you will to imagine for just a moment that there is something genuinely sympathetic in the plight of Terrell Owens. ...

Nahhhh. Forget about it.

Over the last few days, we've seen T.O. in all his obnoxious glory, as he's turned his entire life into some gaudy reality television show that has exposed the Philadelphia Eagles' "dig me" wide receiver and his smarmy agent Drew Rosenhaus for the outlandish caricatures they really are.

There they were in front of any moving television camera all weekend long, trying valiantly to take their case to the people, in an effort to generate some righteous indignation for the "oppression" Owens has been forced to endure by the Eagles. I mean, what's a man to do when he's being forced to bear up to the unreasonable burden of having to survive on a $12 million "pittance" over the next two years?

If only Owens had stuck to the original issue, which was that by NFL standards, he is being underpaid as one of the best wide receivers in the business. If he'd only stuck to that point, it would have been at least reasonable to defend T.O.'s outrage, because of the one-sided nature of NFL contracts that give management the right to redo deals in their favor from year to year, but give the athletes no such privilege.

Whether you are offended by the sound of a millionaire crying poverty or not, it's easy to concede how unfair those circumstances are for Owens and every other pro football player. But we are so long past that point, because T.O.'s outrage has turned into a ridiculous comedy.

This is not about the Eagles doing right by Owens, and I suspect it never was. This is all about T.O., the absolute essence of the selfish "dig me" man. A pop psychologist could have a field day rummaging around Owens' cluttered and confused mind.

What exactly would motivate a grown man who is trying to generate public sympathy, but has just been kicked out of training camp by his head coach for insubordination, to choose as his first public act a series of self-absorbed, silly skits on his driveway?

Why would you go on national television trying to convince people that you have been wronged, but spend most of the time ripping on your coach, dogging your quarterback and insulting your offensive coordinator? And why exactly would you have your goofy, whiny, agent sitting there next to you, constantly chirping?

It's one thing to be a flamboyant, controversial showman who comes from the evolutionary trail of Muhammad Ali. But so much of what made Ali revolutionary was the overwhelming substance that accompanied his outrageous style. Ali decried racism, railed against war and raged against the powerful political machine.

T.O. is a comic book clown by comparison. Sure he is flamboyant, and no doubt he is controversial. But his showmanship evolves not from Ali's impactful legacy; Owens is a direct descendant of the embarrassing buffoonery of the black-faced minstrel shows. There is no substance with his outrageous style, just more clownish behavior that makes you want to cringe.

He loves to portray himself as some heroic, selfless warrior, constantly reminding us all of his stunning Super Bowl performance on that still-healing broken leg. But the further removed we get from the Super Bowl, the more it's clear of his true intentions. If given the choice between the Eagles losing and him playing great, or Philly winning and Owens being some unnoticed bit player in a dramatic Eagles victory, there really is no choice:

Unlike the rest of us, when it comes to T.O., he'd rather be the star in his own funeral than the pallbearer in somebody else's.

E-mail: [email protected]
    Phone: 314-340-8185
    Make America Great For Once.

I think America's sports columnists and broadcasters are paying Terrell Owens to pull these stunts.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by kah@Aug 14 2005, 07:15 AM
      I think America's sports columnists and broadcasters are paying Terrell Owens to pull these stunts.

I've seen alot of personalities in my nearly forty years of watching sports, Terrell Owens may be the biggest "me" person I've ever seen, especially for a sport that embodies teamwork.
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev+Aug 14 2005, 03:46 PM-->
        QUOTE(The Kev @ Aug 14 2005, 03:46 PM)

Originally posted by kah@Aug 14 2005, 07:15 AM
        As a sports guy, I hate to admit it, but most of us secretly love this kind of stuff. It gives us a ton to talk about. Burwell has always been pretty honest about that kind of thing, e.g. columnists and talking heads acting angry and indignant about someone's behavior. If it weren't for assholes like TO, what would we have to talk about?
        The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

Honestly, I think he's a great player but personally I can't stand him. I'd love to see the Eagles just let his ass rot for a year maybe even two. Show him and fucking Drew Rosenhaus how you are meant to honor a contract when you sign it. None of this Adam Oates bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Carr@Aug 14 2005, 11:02 PM
            how you are meant to honor a contract when you sign it.
            NFL franchises are under no such obligation, so why should a player be?

Comment

Originally posted by kah+Aug 15 2005, 12:21 AM-->
              QUOTE(kah @ Aug 15 2005, 12:21 AM)

Through most of this, Jason Whitlock has taken Owens' side because he thinks Owens deserves more money. But Whitlock's opinion has changed.

From the Kansas City Star

NFL should tell T.O. his act won’t play here
              A couple of weeks ago, Jerome Stanley, a respected NFL and NBA agent, called me just to say I was foolish for supporting Terrell Owens.

“I thought you were smarter than that, Jason,” said Stanley, the rep for my least-favorite NFL player, Keyshawn Johnson.

Last week, a representative of the NFL players’ association told me that he’d lost respect for Owens when the Philly receiver started criticizing Donovan McNabb.

“You don’t go after your quarterback, Jason,” the NFLPA rep said.

Friday night, at halftime of the Chiefs-Vikings exhibition game, I chatted with former league MVP Rich Gannon.

“You can’t have a guy like that on your team,” Gannon said of Owens.

I give up. Generally speaking, I can defend just about anything. I don’t give up on my positions easily. Take for instance, Jeff George. The Chicago Bears lost their starting quarterback, Rex Grossman, because of a broken ankle Friday night. You and I both know the Bears should sign George if they want to make a playoff run this season.

I can’t defend Terrell Owens anymore. He lost me last week when he shot basketball, pumped iron and did sit-ups in his driveway while TV cameras recorded all the action. He lost me with his continued attacks on McNabb.

Terrell Owens has gone too far.

He has every right to demand a new contract. His performance in last season’s Super Bowl was remarkable. Players with half his talent own contracts twice as lucrative as the one T.O. signed with the Eagles a year ago.

Owens is better than Marvin Harrison, the Indianapolis receiver who inked a deal with more than $20 million guaranteed. Owens received $9 million to sign with the Eagles. Yes, he foolishly agreed to the deal. He picked the wrong agent.

But I support T.O.’s right to try to finagle a new deal. NFL management demands pay cuts, so why can’t the players demand pay raises?

It’s just that I never imagined that Owens and his agent, Drew Rosenhaus, would look this sleazy and this silly going about getting one. I assumed they’d be somewhat savvy about it.

Instead, they’ve alienated the entire National Football League. McNabb, one of the league’s most popular players and someone who campaigned for T.O. to join the Eagles, has been damaged by Owens’ immaturity.

T.O. thinks he’s Rambo, capable of taking on the whole league.

It won’t work.

He’s moving into a dangerous area. You could make an argument that NFL owners would be wise to squash Owens and send a message to the rest of the players. If Owens’ theatrics work, if his media blitz and attack on McNabb lead to the Eagles trading him to the Atlanta Falcons, every player dissatisfied with his contract will go the T.O. route.

The NFL should blackball Owens. Run him out.

More and more NFL players are complaining about the control the league has over the expression of individuality. The players don’t understand that that control is one of the main reasons the league is so popular as a television force.

If the league shuts down Owens, it might shut up the rest of the whiners. At some point, the Eagles are going to make an aggressive move against Owens and claim that he breached his contract. If things don’t improve after T.O.’s one-week suspension, the Eagles are going to try to get rid of him and get back a significant piece of the signing bonus they handed Owens.

When (if) that happens, the key will be what other NFL owners do. T.O. can’t bounce to another team and land a fat contract. Owens can’t become the new Dennis Rodman. If T.O. gets traded and/or lands a better contract, the whole league will live to regret it.

Comment

Originally posted by RedBirdBrain@Aug 15 2005, 09:49 AM
                Because the players association to which he's bound has agreed to it.
                I don't think the Player's Association has agreed to not let T.O. renegotiate his deal.

Just to clarify, I am not defending T.O. He's the worst kind of prima donna attention whore and I wish I could watch Sportcenter for five minutes in a row at any time without seeing his goddamn face. But it just doesn't make sense to expect NFL players to show loyalty to teams beyond that which the teams show to the players. And NFL teams are not obligated to honor contracts. At all. As King Kaufman said in Salon once, every NFL contract is a one-day deal with an option for tomorrow. Players can be cut and deals terminated at any time. So why is a player obligated to meekly accept terms when a team is not?

That being said, STFU, T.O.

Comment

When Whitlock doesn't support a black athlete, no one is going to support him.
                  When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Working...
                  X