Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental Hybrid Cars Get Up to 250 Mpg

CORTE MADERA, Calif. (AP) - Politicians and automakers say a car that can both reduce greenhouse gases and free America from its reliance on foreign oil is years or even decades away. Ron Gremban says such a car is parked in his garage.

It looks like a typical Toyota Prius hybrid, but in the trunk sits an 80-miles-per-gallon secret - a stack of 18 brick-sized batteries that boosts the car's high mileage with an extra electrical charge so it can burn even less fuel.

Gremban, an electrical engineer and committed environmentalist, spent several months and $3,000 tinkering with his car.

Like all hybrids, his Prius increases fuel efficiency by harnessing small amounts of electricity generated during braking and coasting. The extra batteries let him store extra power by plugging the car into a wall outlet at his home in this San Francisco suburb - all for about a quarter.
    I'm shocked they are not claiming the DMCA stops people from hacking their cars.

I would have put this in the Oil Company thread, but this deserves it's own.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Monrovia-based Energy CS has converted two Priuses to get up to 230 mpg by using powerful lithium ion batteries. It is forming a new company, EDrive Systems, that will convert hybrids to plug-ins for about $12,000 starting next year, company vice president Greg Hanssen said.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

That's pretty cool -- if you don't mind 0-60 in 40 seconds.
      "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

Originally posted by phantom@Aug 14 2005, 02:38 AM
        That's pretty cool -- if you don't mind 0-60 in 40 seconds.

Comment

$12,000 for the conversion. A Prius is already overpriced compared to its performance. For $12,000 you can buy an economy car outright. This still isn't quite here yet.

Comment

>>Backers of plug-in hybrids acknowledge that the electricity to boost their cars generally comes from fossil fuels that create greenhouse gases, but they say that process still produces far less pollution than oil. They also note that electricity could be generated cleanly from solar power.<<

Uh-huh.

What about the toxic waste associated with building so many batteries?
            And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Those evil bastards. Trying to actually profit off of something that is in high demand. We should get the government involved.
              Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Aug 14 2005, 03:19 PM
                >>Backers of plug-in hybrids acknowledge that the electricity to boost their cars generally comes from fossil fuels that create greenhouse gases, but they say that process still produces far less pollution than oil. They also note that electricity could be generated cleanly from solar power.<<

Uh-huh.

What about the toxic waste associated with building so many batteries?
                Why of course you just send them into the sun.

No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
                President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
                President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

There was an article about a guy in Missouri that was also freezing auto parts to prolong their life. He froze his entire engine block and wound up getting a lot higher gas mileage... he brake pads had been going for over 100,000 miles or something crazy like that too.

Official Lounge sponsor of Chris Pronger & Alex Pietrangelo

Comment

Working...
                  X