Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Continuing the Home Theater PC Thread From Before

Hey Airshark and other home theater PC Smart People,

We had a thread a few weeks ago about home theater PCs. I'm still thinking about one and saw this deal the other day at Best Buy.

After doing a little bit of research online this morning, I almost went and bought this eMachines Media Center Edition PC for $600.. There are some issues w/ this one to get it under the $1000 price tag of most MCE PCs. For example:

-- I'd have to purchase a TV tuner. This one does not come w/ a TV tuner, though it does have Windows MCE on it. I would also have to purchase a wireless PCI card. In addition, I would have to upgrade the video card at some point so that I could play MVP Baseball on it.

-- But, it does have some nice features for hte price. Number one, its upgradable, whereas some of them are not. It has two PCI openings and and a PCIe opening. I could upgrade the video card, add teh HDTV tuner card and a wireless PCI card w/o any trouble.

-- It also comes w/ 1GB of RAM, the AMD 64 processor, a 200GB hard drive and none of the SATA slots are in use. Plenty of room to upgrade space.

With the Fusion HDTV card or hte myHD card I could use its software or I could use MCE. All I want is to be able to record HD and play some mp3s and maybe a game or two through my surround sound system and on my big screen TV.

This system looks like a great start at a great price, which I can then upgrade to fit our needs. If I'm way off, someone talk me out of it. I'm really feeling like building one from scratch, just upgrading what I need to. This box might be a good starter.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

I'm looking at adding a TV card to my computer as well as a much larger HD.

Does anyone have any opinions on any of these cards:

-ADS Instant TV Deluxe PTV-305 PCI
    -ADS Instant TV Deluxe USB (External)
    -Hauppauge WinTV PVR-150, PVR-250, PVR-350 or PVR-500
    -AVerMedia UltraTV Media Center PCI 500 and PCI 550
    -Emuzed Angel Dual TV Tuner
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

I have the Hauppauge WinTV PVR-250, it kicks ass!!!

The 500 is a new dual tuner card, not sure if you need or want that, but it is cool.
      Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Aug 13 2005, 02:41 PM
        Hey Airshark and other home theater PC Smart People,

We had a thread a few weeks ago about home theater PCs. I'm still thinking about one and saw this deal the other day at Best Buy.

After doing a little bit of research online this morning, I almost went and bought this eMachines Media Center Edition PC for $600.. There are some issues w/ this one to get it under the $1000 price tag of most MCE PCs. For example:

-- I'd have to purchase a TV tuner. This one does not come w/ a TV tuner, though it does have Windows MCE on it. I would also have to purchase a wireless PCI card. In addition, I would have to upgrade the video card at some point so that I could play MVP Baseball on it.

-- But, it does have some nice features for hte price. Number one, its upgradable, whereas some of them are not. It has two PCI openings and and a PCIe opening. I could upgrade the video card, add teh HDTV tuner card and a wireless PCI card w/o any trouble.

-- It also comes w/ 1GB of RAM, the AMD 64 processor, a 200GB hard drive and none of the SATA slots are in use. Plenty of room to upgrade space.

With the Fusion HDTV card or hte myHD card I could use its software or I could use MCE. All I want is to be able to record HD and play some mp3s and maybe a game or two through my surround sound system and on my big screen TV.

This system looks like a great start at a great price, which I can then upgrade to fit our needs. If I'm way off, someone talk me out of it. I'm really feeling like building one from scratch, just upgrading what I need to. This box might be a good starter.
        Sorry I haven't really had time to think about this much. Only thing I can say about the eMachines box is that generally such PCs are unsuitable for HTPC use, because they're too noisy. Investigate quieting solutions - you don't want to hear the machine when you're playing a DVD. You'll be surprised how much difference changing a case fan or the power supply can make. You might want to look over this site: http://www.silentpcreview.com. They discuss quite a bit on HTPCs. Also look over www.avsforum.com. They have a LOT of discussion of HTPCs.

Comment

Working...
        X