New Transportation Bill Full of Pork

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Transportation Bill Full of Pork

July 31, 2005— Just before Congress adjourned for its traditional August recess, the two branches approved a $286 billion transportation bill.
    Citizens Against Government Waste, a watchdog group, estimates that the transportation bill funded $24 billion of special projects, which means over 8 percent of that budget went to pork.

"This transportation bill is one of the biggest boondoggles in the history of federal spending," said Tom Schatz, the group's president.

Rep. Don Young, R-Alaska, brought home lots of bacon — nearly $1 billion. Here are some projects that got funding:

$250 million earmarked for a bridge in Anchorage to be named Don Young's Way.

Another $250 million for a bridge to connect the town of Ketchikan (pop. 14,000) to Gravina Island (pop. 50).
    Congress also tossed in $3 million to pay for a documentary film about Alaska. The subject is how Alaska is spending money on its highways.

Alaska is far from alone in its pork. Here are some outrageous examples from other states:

$2 million to replace an elevated highway in Manhattan with a tunnel so Donald Trump can put up a new building.

$1.6 million for a waterfront walkway honoring Frank Sinatra in his hometown of Hoboken, N.J.

$100,000 for a traffic light in Canoga Park, Calif.

A provision granting tax credits for liquor wholesalers.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Only 58 Republicans (and six Democrats) joined Myrick in voting no Friday. She is not opposed to spending money for roads, within reason. It's the non-highway money that bothers her. "Why are we paying for all of this stuff?" Myrick asked me (using a more vivid word than "stuff"). "It's just the way you get along here."

That so serious a conservative as Sue Myrick feels she would like to quit shows how much the climate has changed on Capitol Hill since she and other bright-eyed new Republican House members were sent there by the 1994 election.

I wrote 10 years ago that Republicans, taking control for the first time in 40 years, faced a test. Metaphorically, would they close the executive washroom or just change the locks? It was almost immediately evident that they would take the latter course. Now, it's becoming clear the erstwhile Republican reformers are also super-sizing what they once condemned.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

One thing democrats and republicans can definitely agree on, rewarding the constituents that matter: campaign donors.

Corruption, it's bipartisan.
      Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

But it only pops up on Yaks' screen when it's an elephant.

He's quite comfy with jackass pork.
        And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

One party's gift is the other party's pork.

Yaks, both party's are full of crap.
          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Aug 13 2005, 08:39 AM
            One party's gift is the other party's pork.

Yaks, both party's are full of crap.
            Which boils down to a corrupt system of privately financed so-called "public" elections.

Any party that does what it takes to win in such a corrupt system can only be corrupt.

Introducing new parties into the mix will be pointless without public elections.

Comment

Let's start cutting federal spending and pork now.

I think we should start with welfare for unions.

What's your proposal dred?
              And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Aug 13 2005, 08:43 AM
                Let's start cutting federal spending and pork now.

I think we should start with welfare for unions.

What's your proposal dred?
                If such a thing existed as anything other than a boogie man in your mind I'd be all for cutting it.

Comment

IMO, the avarage American citizen ties his/hers own hands by blindly following the Dems and Reps. I hear people always bitching about "the system", yet they refguse to take a serious look at alternative parties. I always have been told "you're wasting your vote" when I say that I vote Libertarian.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Aug 13 2005, 08:45 AM
                    IMO, the avarage American citizen ties his/hers own hands by blindly following the Dems and Reps. I hear people always bitching about "the system", yet they refguse to take a serious look at alternative parties. I always have been told "you're wasting your vote" when I say that I vote Libertarian.
                    What's the point without public elections?

Comment

Dred,

Please define your meaning of public elections.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Aug 13 2005, 08:48 AM
                        Dred,

Please define your meaning of public elections.
                        More competition, a more diverse candidate pool, more time spent with regular voters, freedom from conflicts of interest ..

Public financing with strict spending limits and equal financing to all qualifying candidates.

Comment

Originally posted by dredbyrd+Aug 13 2005, 09:51 AM-->
                          QUOTE(dredbyrd @ Aug 13 2005, 09:51 AM)

Originally posted by The Kev+Aug 13 2005, 08:52 AM-->
                          QUOTE(The Kev @ Aug 13 2005, 08:52 AM)
                          Originally posted by [email protected] 13 2005, 09:51 AM

Kev,

What in the hell kind of "liberatarian" are you?

Publically funded elections?

It's the only way to become yet even more corrupt.

Comment

Working...
                          X