Back to School...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back to School...

The kids start back to school next Wed. This is the first year in a long time that I know of other kids in a public school starting before them.

School supply shopping is such a pain in my ass. I hate it. I think we have everything, for the most part, got a few odds and ends that I'm going to get here and there.

As stated in another thread, the things we have to buy because of the budgets being cut is outrageous...

My biggest pet peeve w/school supplies are the colors of the folders, 1 red, 1 blue, 1 yellow, 1 green, 1 orange, etc. Who the fuck cares what the color is, as long as the kid has a folder, and knows what is where??? One year I had to go on a mission to find some color folder that was NO WHERE to be found. I had to send a note to the teacher and tell her, sorry, but I tried, and it's not out there. :(

But hey, at least the book bags only cost an arm, instead of an arm and a leg.

I hate school supply shopping almost as much as I hate Christmas. :angry:
    Feb. 08, 2005
    Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
    Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
    Originally posted by Airshark
    NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

I have to pull this duty today. I'm thinking we will take the biggest hit on gym shoes and the back packs.
    The youngest is starting kindergarten so everything doubles (2 kids). Very worthwhile trade off though since we no longer have to shell out $95 per week for daycare.

Shit! I just remembered lunch boxes.

Comment

I was just going to start this same topic. DK is going into the first grade this year and I could not believe the list of "community supplies" that he is supposed to bring with him:

-pair of scissors
      -12 glue sticks(?!)
      -2 boxes of pencils
      -2 packs of erasers
      -1 box of Crayola markers
      -1 box of Kleenex
      -12" ruler
      -box of ziploc bags
      -box of 24 crayons
      -1 set watercolor paints
      -4 oz. bottle of glue
      -a board game (wtf?)

Now based on that list, plus the folders and such that were on the "personal" list, it does not look to me like the school is providing any of the supplies in the classroom.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
      Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
      Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
      Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
      NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
      LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

Originally posted by Beetlebop70@Aug 12 2005, 09:14 AM
        Shit! I just remembered lunch boxes.
        they were giving some away at the game sunday but they wouldn't give me one. I tried and tried.

I almost did that thing where you steal it out of the box they are handing them out from, but I felt like that would get me in trouble AND without a lunchbox.
        Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane@Aug 12 2005, 09:16 AM
          I was just going to start this same topic. DK is going into the first grade this year and I could not believe the list of "community supplies" that he is supposed to bring with him:

-pair of scissors
          -12 glue sticks(?!)
          -2 boxes of pencils
          -2 packs of erasers
          -1 box of Crayola markers
          -1 box of Kleenex
          -12" ruler
          -box of ziploc bags
          -box of 24 crayons
          -1 set watercolor paints
          -4 oz. bottle of glue
          -a board game (wtf?)

Now based on that list, plus the folders and such that were on the "personal" list, it does not look to me like the school is providing any of the supplies in the classroom.
          The "community" shit pisses me off too. That's for kids whose parents either don't go out and get the stuff for their kid or cannot afford it. I sympathize with those that cannot legitimately afford it. I'll help out where I can, but when I have to subsidize other kids supplies because their parents won't provide it for them, that's where I draw the line.
          Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane@Aug 12 2005, 09:16 AM
            -a board game (wtf?)
            I wouldn't get that. Let the teacher end up with 19 boxes of Candyland instead of 20.

Comment

The boys are in middle school, and they are supposed to bring in 2 boxes of pencils to give to their teachers... (along with a lot of other stuff)

I bought two boxes that are sitting in my closet (still have a box left over from last year too). I'll give all 3 kids 4 pencils on the first day. This starts their responsibility of keeping up with their stuff. When they need one, or something else, they just need to ask me. If/when I find out they are going to their teacher for stuf...they quickly remember that they should have asked mom the night before! I always make sure that I buy extra stuff and I keep it up in my closet (it looks like Target sometimes) for when they need more stuff.

I don't know why a kid in middle school has to bring in 6 glue sticks...but it's on the list!

Also - We have a fundraiser thru work, where we are supposed to bring in supplies or drop of money. What they really want is a backpack full of stuff to be dropped off by eacher person participating. Yeah, I understand the cause, and I think it's good, but hell, I can't even get MY kids everything, let alone spend $100 on stuff for work. Yeah, I can write it off, but I just can't do it. What sucks, is they pretty much expect us to do it.
              Feb. 08, 2005
              Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
              Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
              Originally posted by Airshark
              NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan@Aug 12 2005, 09:20 AM
                The "community" shit pisses me off too. That's for kids whose parents either don't go out and get the stuff for their kid or cannot afford it. I sympathize with those that cannot legitimately afford it. I'll help out where I can, but when I have to subsidize other kids supplies because their parents won't provide it for them, that's where I draw the line.
                While I'm not exactly destitute, like Nsane said, having to spend $50 on school supplies had to cut into your budget somewhere else. That $50 is a week's worth of groceries for us.
                Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
                Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
                Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
                Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
                NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
                LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

I still have to buy supplies. Probaly going tonight or tomorrow morning. I havent even looked at the list.

Last week I spent over $70 on shoes alone, and they were on sale from $90. I'm just thankful I dont have a teenaged daughter...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Nsane2Bme@Aug 12 2005, 08:10 AM
                    I hate school supply shopping almost as much as I hate Christmas. :angry:
                    I'm with you on Christmas. Valentine's day is worse though. Every year it's the same routine--card, dinner, gift, flowers.

Last year one of my puppies had to have surgery on V Day, so I was all wrapped out. Then, just as my special friend and I were about to enjoy some adult activities, she decided to have a relationship talk. I wasn't in the mood to talk and because of the earlier turmoil I wasn't intellectually capable of steering things in a direction that would lead to the ultimate goal. So one thing leads to another, she leaves and I find myself eating steak with the other pup. At least it worked out for him. It was his first porterhouse, and he didn't seem to need anything on it. JJ.

Comment

I hate the community stuff and the overall lack of provisions from the school. I don't expect the teachers to spend their own $ but to push it to the students/parents doesn't make since either. Problem that I have is that there are some kids that don't bring anything. Like Nsane, we will be keeping the youngest with his own supplies but provide some to the community pot. Also, he is in some accelerated program at the high school (he's only in 1st grade) once a week so he has additional supplies for that but those are his only.
                      We were at his school last night and they had bags made up of the supplies that each grade needed for purchase. I think it was like $12.60 for the 1st grade kit. If we hadnt already got half the stuff, I would have done it.
                      It is not the strongest of the species that survive,
                      nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change.
                      -Charles Darwin

Comment

You gots to have the Trapper Keeper!!

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by jack jones+Aug 12 2005, 09:35 AM-->
                          QUOTE(jack jones @ Aug 12 2005, 09:35 AM)

Originally posted by Brain Stew@Aug 12 2005, 09:45 AM
                          I hate the community stuff and the overall lack of provisions from the school. I don't expect the teachers to spend their own $ but to push it to the students/parents doesn't make since either. Problem that I have is that there are some kids that don't bring anything. Like Nsane, we will be keeping the youngest with his own supplies but provide some to the community pot. Also, he is in some accelerated program at the high school (he's only in 1st grade) once a week so he has additional supplies for that but those are his only.
                          We were at his school last night and they had bags made up of the supplies that each grade needed for purchase. I think it was like $12.60 for the 1st grade kit. If we hadnt already got half the stuff, I would have done it.
                          $12.60? Hell, that's cheap.
                          Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Look on the bright side: gasoline isn't a school supply.

Comment

Working...
                            X