• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alex Barron is a genius!

Barron absent from Rams practice
    Associated Press
    08/11/2005

Rams first-round draft pick Alex Barron was a no-show at Thursday's practice, one day after signing a five-year contract.

Coach Mike Martz was not pleased with the situation.

"I have no idea where he is or what he's doing or if he's coming in September or October or November, who knows?" Martz said. "I don't know what to expect. If the kid really wanted to be here, he'd be here. I'm upset with the whole thing."

A phone message was left for Barron's agent, Roosevelt Barnes, seeking comment.

Barron ended a two-week training camp holdout Wednesday and signed a contract.

As a senior at Florida State, the offensive tackle was one of three finalists for the Outland Trophy, which recognizes the country's top college offensive lineman. He was taken 19th overall in April by St. Louis.

Martz had said he did not expect Barron to be a starter by the beginning of the season. Martz gave Barron the job shortly after the draft, but demoted him to second team after the rookie struggled in a minicamp.

He has also been critical of the agent, saying he thought Barnes was placing his own interests over the need to get the player to practice.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

I'm not worried.

Rosie Barnes thinks Alex will be fine.

I'm thinking Pro Bowl first year.

"Alex is such a tremendous athlete, it won't take him long at all to get ready," Barnes said. "I think he'll be ready to get out and play in the next preseason game (Aug. 21 in San Diego). But he'll definitely be ready to play in the opening game. I think he'll be ready to start, and establish himself as a starter and a great player in the league."
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...4A?OpenDocument

Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Originally posted by Roosevelt Barnes
      I think Alex is really swell, he'll be the starter on opening day! He loves children and puppies! And sunflowers and rainbows shoot out of his arse!

Where are my pants?

Alex obviously got the knife in the drawer most in need of sharpening with this guy...
      "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
      "I didn't know you
      had any feelings"

Comment

Yeah he's a real smart cookie. Being a rookie hold-out is enough to give you a bad rep with the rest of the veterans on the team, then to not show up on the first day after missing the first couple of weeks? He's a member of MENSA right?
        Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
        Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
        Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
        Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
        NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
        LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane@Aug 11 2005, 10:07 PM
          Yeah he's a real smart cookie. Being a rookie hold-out is enough to give you a bad rep with the rest of the veterans on the team, then to not show up on the first day after missing the first couple of weeks? He's a member of MENSA right?
          I'd say that the agent and Alex are just about made for one another.

There's less crowding inside that boys' skull than a MENSA meeting in Alabama.
          "Whaddya mean I hurt your feelings?"
          "I didn't know you
          had any feelings"

Comment

wow..........martz just can't win when it comes to draft picks, can he?
            Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

Originally posted by bigJOE@Aug 11 2005, 11:10 PM
              wow..........martz just can't win when it comes to draft picks, can he?
              C'mon...give him some props...remember Trung Candidate?
              . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
              -mike
              mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

Originally posted by SunuvaNun+Aug 11 2005, 09:49 PM-->
                QUOTE(SunuvaNun @ Aug 11 2005, 09:49 PM)

From what I've seen when we drafted him and from what I've heard from the experts, it seems that Barron is nothing but a lazy fat fuck. He needs to get his ass to camp.

Comment

Give the kid a break. According to the PD he lost his bags (six!) in transit:

Barron had been staying and training in Tallahassee, Fla., until a few days ago before heading back home to Orangeburg, S.C. But all of his luggage - about six bags worth - was lost on the trip from Florida to South Carolina. Apparently, the luggage wasn't recovered until Thursday, delaying his departure to St. Louis.
                  I think we can all appreciate his situation. That's some really tough luck. JJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jack jones@Aug 12 2005, 05:59 AM

Barron had been staying and training in Tallahassee, Fla., until a few days ago before heading back home to Orangeburg, S.C. But all of his luggage - about six bags worth - was lost on the trip from Florida to South Carolina. Apparently, the luggage wasn't recovered until Thursday, delaying his departure to St. Louis.
                    Was he flying in via Heathrow?

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by jack jones@Aug 12 2005, 06:59 AM

How much "luggage" do you need for training camp? The guy just signed a bizillion dollar contract - he can go to Walmart or Target and buy a few t-shirts, some shorts, a new toothbrush, then stop off at a shoe store and grab a new pair of sneakers. For heaven's sakes, it's training camp, not a fashion show.
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
                      Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
                      Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
                      NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
                      LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane@Aug 12 2005, 07:48 AM
                        How much "luggage" do you need for training camp? The guy just signed a bizillion dollar contract - he can go to Walmart or Target and buy a few t-shirts, some shorts, a new toothbrush, then stop off at a shoe store and grab a new pair of sneakers. For heaven's sakes, it's training camp, not a fashion show.
                        I'm surprised and a bit disappointed at your insensitivity Lois. AB is coming to a new city to start a brand new career. AB is an impact player. He needs to make an impact impression. The man has six bags of luggage for a reason. His new teammates, Rams' coaching and management and his new fanbase need to meet him at his best. He needs to represent. How is he supposed to do that dressed up in Walmart garb like a redneck from the bootheal? JJ.

Comment

Originally posted by jack jones@Aug 12 2005, 08:16 AM
                          How is he supposed to do that dressed up in Walmart garb like a redneck from the bootheal? JJ.
                          Seems to me that he'd fit right in that way.
                          On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

Originally posted by jack jones+Aug 12 2005, 09:16 AM-->
                            QUOTE(jack jones @ Aug 12 2005, 09:16 AM)
                          Working...
                          X