Open Discussion On East St. Louis - my hometown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Open Discussion On East St. Louis - my hometown

I was born in St. Louis in 1959 - and have lived at various times in Iowa for 6 years and Rhode Island for 10 - Yet I have always considered East St. my home and still do.

I am aware that the city isn't perfect - and far from it - has it share of problems. What I don't like is the blanket statements condemning the city - not just on this and any other Message board but in real life.

I almost got into a fight with a St. Louis cop one day in front of about 50 other cops because he insisted on a line of insults at the entire city. Basically he said - he would be okay if they nuked the whole city. I reminded him nicely that there where good and bad people everywhere and East St. Louis had its share of good people too. He refused to take the olive branch and kept pushing. His rationale was that one of his partners had been robbed over there.

I asked where and when - because many people lump anything bad that happens in Illinois into East St. Louis (from a Chicago Suburb to Cairo Illinois) he declined to say - but continued to press. So I asked him if he knew of anyone who had ever been robbed in St. Louis and he said sure. So then I say so one guy gets robbed and you want to Nuke a city vs several being robbed in St. Louis but thats okay. Anyway - we East St. Louisains are a prideful bunch - because everyone always looks down their noses at us. We will admit our failfures but refuse to be classified as totally useless.

So I am open for questions until the wife comes home.

Let er rip.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

I saw a documentary about ESL a couple years ago. That place was corrupt when it was lily white.
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Aug 11 2005, 06:18 PM
      I saw a documentary about ESL a couple years ago. That place was corrupt when it was lily white.
      Truer words were never spoken - but most believe it got that way when Blacks took over. When Blacks took over most of the major stealing had already been done - but alot of the corruption was left in place to keep the pipe lines open to get the money to the old school criminals.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala+Aug 11 2005, 06:20 PM-->
        QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Aug 11 2005, 06:20 PM)

I have no doubt there are some wonderful folks who live there...

However, evactuating everyone and razing all the buildings and starting over might be the best thing
        Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Somewhere on the ESPN website is the story about the guy who walked from Arizona (or somewhere out west) to Chicago in order to raise money for Juvenile diabetes. He wouldn't walk through East St. Louis. He had somebody drive him over to Bellville from St. Louis, logged the miles and then had somebody else drive him that same amount of miles outside of town on a different highway so he could walk back.

Even people not from the area have a personal vision of East St. Louis that is horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB@Aug 11 2005, 06:23 PM
            I have no doubt there are some wonderful folks who live there...

However, evactuating everyone and razing all the buildings and starting over might be the best thing

You would destroy buildings that have such historical significane in Rock and Roll - Jazz and Blues that would shock you - to say nothing of destabilizing the most homegenous African American communites in America at this time - and for the last 20 years.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

My grandmother, who I always knew as living in Phoenix, AZ, is from East St. Louis (from back in the "lily white" 50's I assume), always said good things about it. There's a street named after her there and she used to have a horseradish farm

Comment

East St. Louis is a hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala+Aug 11 2005, 06:29 PM-->
                  QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Aug 11 2005, 06:29 PM)

I'd like to see my fellow black people take their right to vote more seriously. I don't mean go and give blind alligence to the Democratic Party, either. (God only knows how those bastards provide useless lipservice). IMO, I'd love to see more of my people demand more accountability from those who they choose to elect to theses offices.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Aug 11 2005, 06:36 PM
                    I'd like to see my fellow black people take their right to vote more seriously. I don't mean go and give blind alligence to the Democratic Party, either. (God only knows how those bastards provide useless lipservice). IMO, I'd love to see more of my people demand more accountability from those who they choose to elect to theses offices.
                    In the last election - Officer the current mayor - ran against the Democratic Party and won. Which is why you have so many in the democratic party going to jail now.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty@Aug 11 2005, 06:35 PM
                      East St. Louis is a hole.

Then you should have no trouble avoiding it - since you know what it is.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala+Aug 11 2005, 06:40 PM-->
                        QUOTE(Schwahalala @ Aug 11 2005, 06:40 PM)

Jackie Joyner-Kersee
                        Catherine Dunham

Comment

Working...
                        X