Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the review beer thread made me wonder

any experiences?

wouldn't mind try this at home but worth it?

han solo

My brother in law makes homemade brew once in a while.

It's good stuff.
    RIP Chris Jones 1971-2009
    You'll never be forgotten.

Comment

Absolutely.

Best bet - find a homebrew store, and get a starter kit. Usually comes with all the equipment you'll need and one beer kit w/ instructions. From there, you can figure out if you like it or not.

My wife got me a starter kit for Christmas three years ago. I probably make between 4 and 6 batches a year. If done right (I had one bad experience - not sure what happend), the beer is better than anything you can buy.
      Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Yes - and it was damn good too.
        Feb. 08, 2005
        Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
        Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
        Originally posted by Airshark
        NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownBluesFan@Aug 11 2005, 11:44 AM
          Absolutely.

Best bet - find a homebrew store, and get a starter kit. Usually comes with all the equipment you'll need and one beer kit w/ instructions. From there, you can figure out if you like it or not.

My wife got me a starter kit for Christmas three years ago. I probably make between 4 and 6 batches a year. If done right (I had one bad experience - not sure what happend), the beer is better than anything you can buy.
          Is it a lot of work, messy, etc?

I don't mind the work part but the messy part because I live in a rented condo right now.

han solo

Comment

Also do you get to make different types of beer like stout, ale, lager etc?

Comment

You should talk to Hollywood. I had some of his beer he made and it was very very good.
              Official Lounge Sponsor of Kentucky - The Bluegrass State
              Proud Sponsor of Kirkwood Athletic Associations's Gameface #5 DK
              Official Sponsor of the Lounge Badgers #13 Guppy
              Official Lounge Sponsor of the Rams # 81 Torry Holt
              NOW Sponsoring St. Louis Cardinals #3 Abraham Nunez
              LET'S GO CARDINALS!!!!! \"IPB

"From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere..."

formerly aka Lois Lane - Going back to my hillbilly roots!

Comment

My old roomie used to make it, and it was damn good. There's this place in Central Mass called De Ja Brew that allows you to make your own beer at their plant. I want to try it out sometime. They give you all the ingredients, you can mess with the recipe, go back a couple of weeks later, and pick up your bottled beer. They'll even make customized labels for you.
                Official Lounge Sponsor:
                Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
                The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
                Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Comment

Originally posted by Lois Lane@Aug 11 2005, 11:47 AM
                  You should talk to Hollywood. I had some of his beer he made and it was very very good.
                  Thanks ya'll and I'll ask Hollywood and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo@Aug 11 2005, 10:46 AM
                    Also do you get to make different types of beer like stout, ale, lager etc?
                    a) Not too messy, as long as you have big enough equipment (insert joke here). You need a big kettle to brew the wort in - probably want at least a three gallon kettle, with a five or six one ideal. You use tubing to move the beer around, so it's only messy if you screw up and start spewing beer all over. The only other issue I ever had is with high gravity (ie, high alchohol) beers, where I've actually had some of the beer ferment out through the airlock (which is something that only makes sense if you've done this). But even if that happens, you'll probably only lose and have to clean up about a cup of beer.

b) Yes, you can make whatever you want. The only caveat to that is fermentation temperature. Most people start out with ales, since you can ferment that at room temperature. I find a good scotch ale to be just fantastic. If you want lagers, you have to ferment at temps in the mid 40's, so you need a fridge or something you can use just for that purpose.
                    Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo+Aug 11 2005, 10:52 AM-->
                      QUOTE(hansolo @ Aug 11 2005, 10:52 AM)

Originally posted by ChiTownBluesFan+Aug 11 2005, 11:56 AM-->
                      QUOTE(ChiTownBluesFan @ Aug 11 2005, 11:56 AM)

I've had some great homebrews. I met one guy who was so good, he was going into business supplying a few restaurants.

I've wanted to do this for years and hope to start soon.
                      No president wants war. Everything you may have heard is that, but it's just simply not true
                      President George W. Bush, March 21, 2006

I'm a war president
                      President George W. Bush, February 8, 2004

Comment

I could never make homebrew -- I'm too impatient!

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Starting out is easy, and there are several quality books out on the market to get you started. Its a great hobby, and one thats realy interesting, esp for someone that got a kick out of science class in HS.

Quality Home-brewing is an art. 'Wood has done some pretty good stuff, and is a student of the process. Others from the old BNF were into for awhile as well. We used to have some pretty good threads going on this subject. I've got a ton of recipes I've either tried or want to try yet.

Home-brew clubs are alot of fun, and I recommend anyone wanting to get serious aboot brewing to join one. There are a few in the STL area and folks that love brewing love to share their work.

You know you're a serious addict when you have more brew than bottles you can get your hands on. Keggs are handy, but not as portable.

I could go on-and-on aboot the fun of Home brewing. Its just something you gotta try.
                          Foram sponsor of:
                          Joe Crede, Retired
                          #13 Matt Carpenter - 2012 ROY
                          and all folks #7

Comment

Working...
                          X