The problem with politics in America

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The problem with politics in America

As many of you, my internet chat buddies know, my political stance is more Republican as compared to Democrat. It has less to do with the fact that I don't identify with the modertaes in the Democratic Party and more to do with the fact that I don't agree with a single thing that the far left has to say. As with the Republican Party, I think that the far right is an irrational base of people that really does hurt not only the country, but also the party in general.

Onto my point:

Take a look at these damn gasoline prices! I was driving by a gas station today and saw that the cheapest gasoline was being sold for $ 1.78 a gallon.

I then began to compare the leadership of this country (both Republican and Democrat) to the anals of history. If you look back in history, some of the biggest problems that ever occured came about due to the simple fact that world leaders "brushed problems under the carpet" in hopes that the problems would magically disappear (Hitler and Stalin come to mind). Being that we live in a two party system, the only recourse (on both sides) to solve this problem is to brush the problem under the carpet and blame the other side. I am sick of this.

People on this board are going to take a short cut to rational thought and blame "Bush and his oil buddies." People on the other side of the isle will then jump into the conversation and say that Kerry wants to raise gasoline prices by 50 cents.

The truth in the matter is this, I could give a shit less at this point. This economy sucks and now these oil prices are going to devastate us even more.

Being the President of the United States, I think Bush should step up to the plate and at least acknowledge that these gasoline prices are a very serious issue. I don't want to hear him talk about drilling in ANWAR for the simple matter that it won't help us now. Nor do I want him to play politics witht he issue and tell me what Kerry would do for the simple matter that I could give a shit less what Kerry would do. . .he's not the President of the United States.

Since Kerry is running for the Office of the Presidency, I don't want to hear him talk about Bush and "his oil buddies." Nor do I want to hear him talk about "alternative fuel sources" planned to be in development in 10 years. What in the hell does this do for us now?

We are blessed to live in the most powerful country in the world. To tell me that we couldn't put economic and political pressure on OPEC is complete bullshit.

The truth in the matter is this, I would be willing to set my political opinions to the side to get a "true leader" elected into office who would truly get things done.
    Jimmy Buffett quote of the week:

"Open season on the open seas and Captain says no prisoners please. Skull and crossbones on a background of black. We ain't stealin' we're just takin' back ."

- Jimmy Buffett, Take it Back, Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads Box Set

"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."

-

scott, good post.

Although I am not sure what you are asking, if there is even a question.

Is it your stance that we need leadership that can reduce the price of oil even more?
    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by ScottStevens@Apr 1 2004, 03:06 PM
      The truth in the matter is this, I would be willing to set my political opinions to the side to get a "true leader" elected into office who would truly get things done.
      Bush and the Republicans control the Congress and the Presidency. If things aren't getting done right now, they are 100% to blame.

You can stick with more of the same for the next 4 years, or you can try changing things.
      2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Until we can develop more alternative sources of fuel, I'm for the opening of the North slope of Alaska to more oil exploration, drilling off the California coast, and opening the resreves.
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

trig, thats the response I beleive he was trying to avoid.

Nobody controls anything. Each side needs votes from the other party to accomplish things.

I mean what do y o uwnat to talk about trig.

How many dems voted agasint Iraq? Wasn't teddy ball game grinning as big as bush with no child left behind?

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Apr 1 2004, 03:10 PM
            scott, good post.

Is it your stance that we need leadership that can reduce the price of oil even more?
            Lazy,

Thank you.

The point of my post was not to ask a question, rather just to vent and throw my opinions out there.

"Open season on the open seas and Captain says no prisoners please. Skull and crossbones on a background of black. We ain't stealin' we're just takin' back ."

"Now, she should be good-looking, but we're willing to trade looks for a certain... morally casual attitude."

-

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Apr 1 2004, 03:12 PM
              trig, thats the response I beleive he was trying to avoid.

Nobody controls anything. Each side needs votes from the other party to accomplish things.

I mean what do y o uwnat to talk about trig.

How many dems voted agasint Iraq? Wasn't teddy ball game grinning as big as bush with no child left behind?
              Bingo

I am happy that you were able to catch onto the very thesis of my opinion.

-

Comment

well, scott. On the topic of oil/gas, my opinon is that prices are artificially low, and have been kept there for many decades. Our cost control measures may save at the pump, but overall the cost is significant.

I advocate true market prices for oil, relative to the prices other countries pay.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Apr 1 2004, 03:12 PM
                  Until we can develop more alternative sources of fuel, I'm for the opening of the North slope of Alaska to more oil exploration, drilling off the California coast, and opening the resreves.
                  Getting the price of oil down, or finding oil in new places isn't going to speed up the process of developing alternative engery. I think it's funny how liberals keep talking about how bad we need alternative energy, yet they, and Kerry complain that Bush isn't doing a good job of getting OPEC to increase supplies. As soon as that happens, the progress toward alternative fuels will immediately slow down.
                  Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

If Bush can't "get things done" while he controls Congress, how is he going to get anything done next term?
                    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Let me ask you guys this.

Why is the average american too lazy to read about what alternative partys (libertarian) offer to bring to the table?

99.99% of the media (print, tv, and radio) is dominated by the Dems and Reps. However, information is available on the other partys. But, it requires a little bit of research.
                      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions@Apr 1 2004, 02:16 PM
                        If Bush can't "get things done" while he controls Congress, how is he going to get anything done next term?
                        putz

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Apr 1 2004, 03:16 PM
                          Let me ask you guys this.

Why is the average american too lazy to read about what alternative partys (libertarian) offer to bring to the table?

99.99% of the media (print, tv, and radio) is dominated by the Dems and Reps. However, information is available on the other partys. But, it requires a little bit of research.
                          I'm getting closer and closer to voting this way.
                          Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

We need a Harry Truman.
                            Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Apr 1 2004, 03:10 PM
                              scott, good post.

Lazy,

My stance is this:

We (the American tax payer) pumped 86 billion dollars into Iraq for what? When are we going to see a return on our investment?

That 86 billion dollars would have done wonders on our own economy.

Don't get me wrong, I think that the world is a safer place without the Bathe Party in control. But, why is it that we throw money around so liberally and never see a return from other countries? Why is it that we don't put more political and economic pressure on these countries to get what we want?

I would love to find out what is going on behind the cigar smoke filled doors.

-

Comment

Working...
                              X