No announcement yet.

Hornung: Irish should still lower standards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another disturbing trend in this country. If we can't meet the standards, lets lower them.
    Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Mar 31 2004, 08:29 PM
      Another disturbing trend in this country. If we can't meet the standards, lets lower them.
      ^^

"
      Why are the Russians suddenly a problem?" -Bgats

Comment

I don't think the standards should be lowered, but he should not have said what he did.
        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
        Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Comment

Was it any worse than what Carmento Floyd said?

How about Corinne "Ya'll look the same to me" Brown?
          And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Horning apologized on the Dan Patrick show about saying the Black Athlete - he said he should have said all Athletes. That gets him off the hook with me on the racism thing - we all make slips of the tongue and if he apologizes I take him at his word. There are many other issues that this brings up that are more important than the racial slip of the tongue. Perfect day to talk about this on a day we find out a teacher is being let go because of economics.

First - why lower standards as someone brought up so we can be entertained. So we get a society with a guy who after four years is jettisoned to the trash heap if he doesn't make pro.

Second - how did we get here in the first place. Why don't all kids have an equal opportunity to go to college and an equal opportunity at success. Why most an athlete or anyone be given a lower level to get into college. Where is the American dream if everyone doesn't have equal access to higher education?

My first hand knowledge lets me know that my high schooling in East St. Louis was much different from those I went to college with. For example - I took the ACT once and never took the SAT. The SAT just wasn't offered and nobody bothered saying we had that option. The military tests were given religiously though. When I got to college almost everyone there had taken both the ACT and SAT multiple times to improve their scores. In college, they put me in a study skills class - I believe not based on anything other than my area I was from and my skin color. When I did very well that first semester - they were shocked - but I was just using things I had picked up from my teachers. I felt very prepared in the first place - but then my education in the public schools had always been college prep - and I don't know if that is the case now. I hear things are very different and their are a number of factors - from lack of parenting skills - to stiffing the teachers and making them spend about 15% of their salary on class materails if they want their students to get a real education.

Third - How do we get out of here. The big thing now is mandatory testing and accontability to the test. So teachers in many poorer public school districts have been teaching the test and not learning. I don't think that will work.
            I think the best hope - are the parents - if they don't put their foot down then education will always suck. Just my thoughts.
            Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
            God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Damtoft@Mar 31 2004, 08:39 PM
              Was it any worse than what Carmento Floyd said?

How about Corinne "Ya'll look the same to me" Brown?
              John,

I've expressed my distaste for what that woman said.

However, she's just, or maybe was, the out of control spouse of the person in charge.

Paul Horning's comments upset me, simply because he thinks the only way to step up their program is to allow cretens onto the squad. IMO, that's an insult to the black students who've met the standards to enter that school.
              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Linda Cohen realy scowled while reading that story this morning. I wonder if he had subsituted inner city kids for blacks if anyone would have had a problem.

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

schwa, i agree with you on almost all counts. The thoughts behind the tests are ok but i think that the pratice is going to fail. I think parents are partly to blame, but envrionment and money do play an important role. A active parent can only do so much if the district cannot afford the best programs, and the best programs are useless if the parents are zeros. No test can take both of these things into account. The best person to evealuate a teacher is in the building. Administrators can and do observ teachers at work, both by being in the room and other methods. That is the solution imo

Comment

Originally posted by jhanke@Mar 31 2004, 09:06 PM
                    schwa, i agree with you on almost all counts. The thoughts behind the tests are ok but i think that the pratice is going to fail. I think parents are partly to blame, but envrionment and money do play an important role. A active parent can only do so much if the district cannot afford the best programs, and the best programs are useless if the parents are zeros. No test can take both of these things into account. The best person to evealuate a teacher is in the building. Administrators can and do observ teachers at work, both by being in the room and other methods. That is the solution imo
                    Thanks jhanke,

I agree 100%. Teachers have to be evaluated but to base in on a test disregards too many other factors. From my experience standardized test only point out the gaps in education between the haves and have nots and do nothing to fix them. Heck we have known this gap existed for years now - no need to keep testing it to see if it is still there. Lets implement programs to bring everyone up to the high level for the next three years and then retest everyone. That will at least let us know if the programs are working. If not try something else for three years. Save the money on testing and split it between teachers and supplies.

The other thing that bothers me is that men are slowly but surely being run out of education. There are almost no males in day care anymore or in any of the lower grades because they are all afraid of being labeled pervs.

Kids need a male perspective too at that age - and it shouldn't be assumed that man can't work with younger children without being molestors.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala@Mar 31 2004, 09:15 PM

The other thing that bothers me is that men are slowly but surely being run out of education. There are almost no males in day care anymore or in any of the lower grades because they are all afraid of being labeled pervs.

Kids need a male perspective too at that age - and it shouldn't be assumed that man can't work with younger children without being molestors.
                      Interesting idea but i honestly think that the motivation for males to go to the upper levels has more to do with being male than the perv thing. I am male and i noticed when i was in school that most of the elementary ed people were female and most secondary ones were male. I do not know why, it may have to do with some mothering instinct but women gravitate to the younger kids and guys to the older ones. You are right however all kids need the influence of both sexes to become well rounded adults.

Comment

I hope we get some more opinions in this discussion just for clarity. What I remember is about 30 years ago a few men got sent to prison that were running some day cares and men started leaving early education like 40 going north. I could be mistaken.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Mar 31 2004, 08:58 PM
                          Paul Horning's comments upset me, simply because he thinks the only way to step up their program is to allow cretens onto the squad. IMO, that's an insult to the black students who've met the standards to enter that school.
                          I agree. I don't really see the comments as racist, I just think it's an insult to the black kids that are already there. Not because of skin color, but because he's basically saying they aren't good football players. But given their recent success, maybe he's right.
                          Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

His remarks were not racist, IMO. They're just stupid, because he's willing to sacrifice the academic integrity of his alma mater, just to get some less than qualified athletes on the team.
                            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Apr 1 2004, 02:04 PM
                              His remarks were not racist, IMO. They're just stupid, because he's willing to sacrifice the academic integrity of his alma mater, just to get some less than qualified athletes on the team.
                              I agree. But that's an argument a lot of schools deal with. I know a lot of Big 12 schools complain that they could compete with SEC schools better if they had lesser standards. I'm sure the Big 10 thinks the same way. As I said earlier, lowering standards is becoming a big problem in this country. That's the real reason I don't like affirmative action. Even though most people would call you a racist if you didn't like affirmative action.

Do you think all major college conferences should have the same admission requirements to level the playing field? I wouldn't be opposed to that rule.

Comment

Working...
                              X