Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paul White from Sports Weekly (USA Today)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paul White from Sports Weekly (USA Today)

Just read it a few minutes ago. He says that the Marlins and Angels followed the same recipe the last couple years. Not much hype but still good teams. Good article.
    "They misunderestimated me."
    Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."
    -Hilton Head, S.C., Feb. 16, 2000

Gives you the warm fuzzies, doesn't it?

Originally posted by matt75@Mar 31 2004, 06:28 PM
    Just read it a few minutes ago. He says that the Marlins and Angels followed the same recipe the last couple years. Not much hype but still good teams. Good article.
    Not only a baseball thread, but one that doesn't predict we'll have a losing season.

This should sink past the first page in short order.

Comment

Originally posted by kah2523+Mar 31 2004, 06:38 PM-->
      QUOTE (kah2523 @ Mar 31 2004, 06:38 PM)

Matt,

You have the link?? If so, post it...

I'd be interested in reading that...

Hope springs eternal

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi@Mar 31 2004, 06:52 PM
        Matt,

You have the link?? If so, post it...

I'd be interested in reading that...

Hope springs eternal
        Sorry, no link, I actually bought the magazine. I don't even know if sports weekly has a website.
        "They misunderestimated me."
        Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."
        -Hilton Head, S.C., Feb. 16, 2000

Gives you the warm fuzzies, doesn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by kah2523+Mar 31 2004, 06:38 PM-->
          QUOTE (kah2523 @ Mar 31 2004, 06:38 PM)

I been saying that all along.

Basically it comes down to this - If the Cardinals had had a bullpen last year they win the division. Well they have a bullpen now and the starting pitching - probably the same. The Cubs and Astros are improved in pitching. The Astros offense is a year older and their bullpen is minus their original ace and entertained dave veres before coming to their senses. The Cubs have an improved offense, better starting pitching and a slight upgrade in the bullpen - but they can't catch a fat man running in mud.

I see the Cardinals having the edge in the division but those damn rose colored glasses I wear always give the Cardinals an edge - so if I look again - I see the Cubs, then the Cardinals then the Astros but close.

The season will play out by matching injuries and ineffectiveness to surprises. Prior's injury gives the Cardinals a month to see if either Suppan, Carpenter, or Marquis can bring it - unless the Cubs have a fifth starter that surprises and that time is shortened.

Cory Patterson was beginning to be exposed for who he has always been - a potential guy - before he got hurt and not the superstar the Cubs hope he is. The Cubs have a head case on third base who should negate what the new very good first base man gives them.

I like our chances.
          Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
          God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Like I said earlier this month...

82-86 wins, fighting for the wildcard spot till mid-September...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

The marlins and Angel´s recipe for winning included good young pitching and strong, strong bullpens.

I don´t see the comparison to the 2004 Cardinals here, sorry.

Comment

Then again, no one saw the comparison between the Angels and Marlins either.

I"m not saying that the Cards are going to the Series, but I am saying its foolish to dismiss them completely this early.
                When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 31 2004, 07:51 PM
                  I"m not saying that the Cards are going to the Series, but I am saying its foolish to dismiss them completely this early.
                  Indeed.

I just failed to find Sports Weekly in an internet search, BTW. I am thinking the paper exists in printed form only.

Comment

Originally posted by 007+Mar 31 2004, 07:12 PM-->
                    QUOTE (007 @ Mar 31 2004, 07:12 PM)
                    Originally posted by [email protected] 31 2004, 06:38 PM

Out...side...?

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty@Mar 31 2004, 10:21 PM
                      Out...side...?
                      This coming from a seventeen year old that was IN...SIDE.... on his birthday!

Just kiddding, glove.
                      RIP Stan the Man
                      The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                      I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala@Mar 31 2004, 07:29 PM
                        Basically it comes down to this - If the Cardinals had had a bullpen last year they win the division.
                        Even that's stretching things, schwa.

Forget bullpen...if Izzy is available the entirety of the season alone we win.
                        "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

• Working...
                          X