Clear All

• Jack Black to star in King Kong

This will be killer.

http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,...,00.html?tnews
    Black Captures "Kong"

by Josh Grossberg
    Mar 31, 2004, 10:15 AM PT
    Jack Black is going bananas.

The comic actor, fresh off a Golden Globe nomination for his hilarious performance in School of Rock, has landed a plum role opposite Naomi Watts in Peter Jackson's 1930s period remake of King Kong, his publicist has confirmed.
    Black will play Carl Denham, a documentary filmmaker and showman who captures the super simian on a remote island and brings him back to the Big Apple where he puts him on display to make a name for himself.

Watts will take on the role of Ann Darrow, the alluring blonde starlet who attracts the love of the great ape.

As the story goes, when Denham uses Darrow as bait to subdue the monkey, Kong breaks free from his shackles, grabs Darrow and takes her around town, including a moonlit stroll atop the Empire State Building.

Black's role was first played by Robert Armstrong in the 1933 original while Fay Wray starred as Darrow.

"I've been wanting to work with Jack Black ever since I saw him in High Fidelity," Jackson told the Hollywood Reporter. "He's a smart and versatile actor blessed with an abundance of energy and charm, and I'm absolutely thrilled that he is joining us on Kong. I look forward to seeing Carl Denham come to life in this new version of the story, and I have no doubt Jack will make him a truly memorable character."
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Damn.

I was hoping JAck was gonna be King Kong
    Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

I was hoping he'd be fatally crushed.
      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 31 2004, 06:08 PM
        I was hoping he'd be fatally crushed.
        Well, in the movie, he is.

Comment

Is it just me or does Jack Black seem totally wrong for this part?
          "My name is Pussy Galore."
          "I must be dreaming."

Official Sponsor of Scott Rolen

Comment

He might make a decent Fay Wray in drag.

Comment

That guy has 3 balls.

"
              Why are the Russians suddenly a problem?" -Bgats

Comment

Originally posted by bpd008@Mar 31 2004, 09:38 PM
                jack black is not totally wrong for any part.

one hilarious mfer.
                Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

From the amazing Lord of the Rings trilogy to King Kong. How could Peter Jackson fall from glory so quickly?

Comment

Jack Black. I liked him before he went all mainstream. But somewhere in those little HBO Tenacious D sketches, I knew he was gonna be a star.
                    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony. "
                    -- Dennis, Monty Python & The Holy Grail

Comment

Originally posted by GloveSaveandaBeauty@Mar 31 2004, 10:44 PM
                      From the amazing Lord of the Rings trilogy to King Kong. How could Peter Jackson fall from glory so quickly?
                      If anything Jackson will make this a better movie than you expect. And Jack Black is funny as hell, I have liked him in everything I've seen him in.
                      "They misunderestimated me."
                      Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."
                      -Hilton Head, S.C., Feb. 16, 2000

Gives you the warm fuzzies, doesn't it?

Comment

I'm not sure how "fall from glory" is applicable. It's not like anyone is forcing Jackson to make "King Kong"; he wants to. Remember, this is a guy who got his start making zombie horror movies.

Comment

i doubt its just me, but i wish they'd start making original movies instead of ripping ideas from older films. its going very tough to make a better than the original.

Comment

Originally posted by MsFunkay@Mar 31 2004, 10:53 PM
                            i doubt its just me, but i wish they'd start making original movies instead of ripping ideas from older films. its going very tough to make a better than the original.
                            See the new George Clooney flim, Oceans 12, as an example of what you're referring to.

It's always a matter of what people will pay to see (as numbingly obvious as that seems) but in the film business, there are only 3 storylines and sometimes I suppose it's sort of honest to hack an old one and at least give it recognition in the title rather than completely plagiarizing it and not.

Comment

Originally posted by bpd008@Mar 31 2004, 10:38 PM
                              It took a long time, but now Adam Sandler and Jim Carey are "right" for parts.... and both have been written off as comedy actors...

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X