"Asscake" and other 'hip' words.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Asscake" and other 'hip' words.

Frankly, I've never heard nor read this word anywhere else but on this forum. So I'm Methuselah?

Apparently it's a very hip word now. I wonder how long it will last?

When I was a kid growing up in St Louis there were 'hip' words that have long-since lost their hipness. Like:

1) Cock - It wasn't your 'member' then. It meant that you were 'cool' and maybe 'good looking'.

2) Fruit - It didn't refer to homosexuals. It just meant you were a nerd.

3) Chuck - It wasn't a guy named 'Charles' nickname. It was a derogatory term that black kids used for white kids.

4) Gay - It was a pretty normal lyric in songs to imply that one was happy.

5) Black Guy or Black Girl - It was a suicidal statement used if you were stupid enough to want to get cut by a sharp instrument wielded by an African American.

6) Negro - It was a term of endearment to be used to describe folks of color.

7) Hoosier - Still a St Louis colloquialism that the rest of the world thinks of as people from Indiana. We here, still think of them as neighbors with pick-up trucks parked in front of their homes.

8) The Tonight Show - It was on every evening for HOURS starring Steve Allen and then, mostly, Jack Parr.

9) The Hill - It was called Dago Hill then and so did those that lived there.

10) Dogtown - No Irishmen ever lived there until about 20 years ago when they decided to name it this. Prior to that, ALL of the Irish from St Louis were from North St Louis (where they settled) in Kerry Patch and went to a German parish called St Matthews where they all inter-married (like mine did).

Alas, Kurt Vonnegut had it right after all. Think. It's not all that oblique.

Dan...

My compliments to the chef...

Comment

Actually, according to William Safire, revered etymologist at the NYT, the word "asscake" first appeared in print in 1933 in an article published by The Inquirer about an alleged romance between Fay Ray and the featured character in the movie "King Kong."

The article described the enormous testicles that figured prominently in early sketches of the original Kong figure and that reportedly stoked the starlet's romantic notions for the giant ape. The film's producers decided to remove the character's exaggerated appendages after viewing shots of Kong from the ground level as he climbed the Empire State Building.

Reportedly, the testicles swayed in direct contrajuxtaposition to Kong's gluteous muscles, which were described as "ass pads" until he fell from the building, flattening them, and were from that point described as "ass cakes."

Ironically, this deletion reportedly killed Wray's desire for the animal and led to her affair with Howard Hughes.

And now you know the rest of the story.
      Official sponsor of the baseball gods and other missalaneous stuff.

Comment

Justwundrin thinks he so smart.

I knew all that stuff.
        I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by DaLode@Mar 31 2004, 02:12 AM
          10) Dogtown - No Irishmen ever lived there until about 20 years ago when they decided to name it this. Prior to that, ALL of the Irish from St Louis were from North St Louis (where they settled) in Kerry Patch and went to a German parish called St Matthews where they all inter-married (like mine did).

Lode, Dogtown has been Dogtown since AT LEAST the 40s when my mother went to Deconess Nusring School there...she also used to hang out at Pat's. Was she a little bit Irish? (To quote from "the Quiet Man": "Her red hair was no lie.")

the Dog

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
          Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
          Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser@Mar 31 2004, 08:38 AM
            Justwundrin thinks he so smart.

I knew all that stuff.
            smartasscake

Comment

Here's an interesting fact that probably no one but me is aware of:

The original screenplay for King Kong was written by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
              I'm always right.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser@Mar 31 2004, 10:49 AM
                Here's an interesting fact that probably no one but me is aware of:

The original screenplay for King Kong was written by F. Scott Fitzgerald.
                I knew that.

It was the first draft of his short story, originally titled "A Testicle as Big as the Ritz."

Comment

Justwundrin:

That's true. Interesting that the ape in that story was named Gatsby.

Hemingway, too, had a fascination with apes. For those interested, you may want to read "For Whom The Bell Tolls" which is the story of two chimps who are switched at birth. One goes on to fame and fortune as a star of snuff films, the other becomes a sportswriter.

I am very well read.
                  I'm always right.

Comment

Did a search for Dogtown and Z Boys and came up with this one, among others.

Someone needs to find DaLode.

I also didn't want Kaiser to be a thread killer. This one should have gotten a reply.
                    But wait. There is something that can be done afterall. My good friend Angelo is a cop in the Tampa/Clearwater area. Since I kept all of the files from the access logs when I had the power to see them, guess what, I have everyone's IP addresses. Hmm..what can I do w/ those??

Comment

"Ass clown" & "Cocknozzle" are two terms I've read here, allthough I credit Brian McKenna as the first person I heard call someone an assclown.

Isn't "Assclown & Cocknozzle" a mid-season replacement for Joey on NBC? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/huh.gif[/img]

Comment

I know "assclown" goes back at least 8 years. Think Michael Bolton in "Office Space".

Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.
                        Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
                        Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys.
                        Samir: Hmm... well why don't you just go by Mike instead of Michael?
                        Michael Bolton: No way. Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.

Comment

While we are on the subject of missing posters, what happened to KingInKC or whatever his name was?
                          “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

QUOTE(i.am.js @ Mar 19 2006, 05:43 PM) Quoted post

I know "assclown" goes back at least 8 years. Think Michael Bolton in "Office Space".

Michael Bolton: Yeah, well at least your name isn't Michael Bolton.
                            Samir: You know there's nothing wrong with that name.
                            Michael Bolton: There was nothing wrong with it... until I was about 12 years old and that no-talent ass clown became famous and started winning Grammys.
                            Samir: Hmm... well why don't you just go by Mike instead of Michael?
                            Michael Bolton: No way. Why should I change? He's the one who sucks.
                            [/b][/quote]

That's what I thought. McKenna ripped it off the movie then. I didn't see the move right away, maybe 3-4 years ago.

Comment

Man I loved reading some vintage Kaiser -

Asscake was on a sign by Jack Sparrow above Mike Martz's head.

I loved that sign -

Jack Sparrow would welcome everyone with asscake insults.

This was only slightly funnier than OSS'S balls and both were considered good karma.

It is a true lounge word along with pron and teh.

Long live the memory of the great Kaiser and Daisy Mae.
                              Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                              God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Working...
                              X