Lunatic Republicans to boycott Heinz Ketchup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunatic Republicans to boycott Heinz Ketchup

Please note - I said "lunatic Republicans", not "all Republicans". I'm assuming the boycotters are Republicans, but I could be wrong. Also, this should kill that "Theresa Heinz Outsources Ketchup" myth - but I'm sure it won't keep other lunatic Republicans from spreading that lie.

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/a...ics_of_business

Heinz Seeks to Disavow Kerry Connection

By CHARLES SHEEHAN, AP Business Writer

PITTSBURGH - H.J. Heinz Co. has launched an election-year campaign of its own, this one to distance the ketchup maker from what is shaping up to be an acrimonious presidential race.

The company has sent nearly 50 letters to radio and television talk shows nationwide to tamp down chatter on the airwaves and Internet suggesting revenue from ketchup sales will benefit the campaign of pending Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry (news - web sites).

His wife is Teresa Heinz Kerry, heiress to the $500 million family ketchup fortune.

The company has received about 150 calls this month from consumers vowing to boycott Heinz products, or in some instances to buy more, said company spokeswoman Debbie Foster.
    "It's just crazy," Foster said. "We haven't been involved in politics since Morris the Cat ran for president in 1988" — when the company ran a spoof campaign with Morris, the face of Heinz 9 Lives cat food, as the finicky candidate.

Heinz Kerry, who was married to Republican Senator H. John Heinz III when he was killed in a 1991 plane crash, is not on Heinz's board and is in no way involved with company management, Foster said.

Collectively, Heinz Kerry, along with her children with John Heinz and The Heinz Endowments which she chairs, own less than 4 percent of outstanding company stock.

The company has not seen any effect on sales. But it took action after The Heinz Endowments was accused of funding Peaceful Tomorrows, a group for Sept. 11 victims' families that criticized President Bush (news - web sites)'s use of footage from the attacks in political ads.

The Heinz Endowments President Maxwell King and David Potorti, co-director at Peaceful Tomorrows, have repeatedly denied any link.

While many talk shows have since backed away from those claims, Internet chat rooms are still buzzing with calls for a Heinz boycott.
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

I bet it's those pesky dittoheads.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Azzwipes!!!
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

USE HUNTS!

Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Originally posted by CSD@Mar 29 2004, 07:57 PM
          USE HUNTS!

C. "Mike" Hunt, C.E.O.

Comment

Boycotts are fundamentals tactics of the 'working class'. You should be complimented that one of those tactics is being used by 'lunatics' from a diametrically opposed fringe.

Especially since it's those racist, rich, hate-filled Republicans.

Comment

I'll have some freedom fries w/ my Hunt's Ketchup...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Working...
              X