Washington Post Article about Al Franken and

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washington Post Article about Al Franken and

One of Worley's best-known songs is the 9/11 anthem "Have You Forgotten?" Just before Christmas last year, he joined Turner, Franken, the pro wrestler Bradshaw, a couple of Washington Redskins cheerleaders and the D.C.-area urban pop trio No Illusion, among others, on a swing through Kuwait, Iraq, Afghanistan and Uzbekistan. But the Tennessee-born singer -- who leans "a lot to the right," as he puts it -- says he was far from pleased that the left-leaning Franken was coming along.

"You know, I just don't understand -- why would somebody be on this tour if they're not supportive of the war?" Turner remembers Worley saying before they left. "If he decides to play politics, I'm not gonna put up with it."

After Worley and Franken had became friends, Franken says, he joked about this. "What'd you think, Darryl? That I was gonna go: 'Your president lied to you and you're dying for no reason. Ladies and gentlemen -- Darryl Worley!'

Franken does believe that the hawks in the Bush administration lied. He thinks they massaged intelligence to sell the war, "blew the diplomacy so we didn't have a real coalition," then failed to send enough troops to do the job right. "Out of sheer hubris, they have put the lives of these guys in jeopardy. That makes me furious," he says. But he didn't go to Iraq to talk to American soldiers about those things.

"I would never do anything to undermine morale," he says. "You're going there because they're our guys."

"He's just a class act," Worley says. "Let me tell you, that guy loves our troops and he totally gave it everything he had."

Franken worked up a Saddam imitation so good (he'd borrowed a costume from "Saturday Night Live") that Worley says it was both hysterically funny and almost frightening. He and Turner did a Bob Hope-style routine that ended with her kissing a soldier from the audience. One of the high points of every show was when Franken introduced the Taliban Cheerleaders, who'd come out with only their eyes visible behind their burqas and refuse to dance. "Wait a minute, we liberated you!" he'd yell in frustration -- which was the cue for the bumping and grinding to begin.

Sure sounds like a guy who is an asshole who hates America to me, huh guys?
    "They misunderestimated me."
    Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."
    -Hilton Head, S.C., Feb. 16, 2000

Gives you the warm fuzzies, doesn't it?

Trust me, Matt75, the conservatives on this board will DEFINITELY find a way to dispell this story.

This story is pretty dead on, though. Franken is liberal, but he still supports our troops and tries to make a difference for them. And every person on the right has such a hard time figuring out how that's possible, but it is. And there's a lot more out there like him too!
    *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Trust me, Matt75, the conservatives on this board will DEFINITELY find a way to dispell this story.
      I hear he eats puppies.

Read it on Drudge.
      Goulet!

Comment

Don't you guys know by now, the only true men and women of virtue, morals, and patriotism, are the Republicans?

They know what's best for all of us.

I'm sure they'll be all to happy to educate us.....
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Yeah, the right is real big on telling you what to be afraid of and who to blame for it. Not so good on providing solid proof on why you should be afraid in the first place. Did somebody say Iraq? B)

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."

Comment

Great post (Period)
            Official Sponsor of Steven Jackson
            ---------------------------
            North County born and raised.
            ----------------------------
            Go Navy!
            ----------------------------
            http://www.freewebs.com/big_dawg160/
            (Nude pics!) Actually my CD, DVD, Book collection.

Comment

Don't you guys know by now, the only true men and women of virtue, morals, and patriotism, are the Republicans?
              You forgot honor, loyalty, and intelligence.
              Goulet!

Comment

Originally posted by The Pocket Rockets@Feb 22 2004, 09:59 PM
                You forgot honor, loyalty, and intelligence.
                That's funny...

Since when did GWB leave the Republican Party??

Not bad for an ex coke-addicted

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi+Feb 22 2004, 10:01 PM-->
                  QUOTE(Indu WangZi @ Feb 22 2004, 10:01 PM)

There are plenty of us who LOVE our country, and our service men and women, who also at the same time hate Bush and all he stands for.
                  I am glad, and proud to be on the same side as Al.
                  Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Feb 22 2004, 10:32 PM
                    There are plenty of us who LOVE our country, and our service men and women, who also at the same time hate Bush and all he stands for.
                    I second that madyaks. Please see my favorite W qoutes thread.

Comment

They are lovers, right?

Oh, wrong thread.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Feb 22 2004, 10:32 PM
                        I thought the Republicans were the "haters"?
                        "You're my wife Margene, you can't be seeing the girl I'm dating." - Big Love

Comment

Originally posted by Shoot_it_Al+Feb 23 2004, 01:45 AM-->
                          QUOTE(Shoot_it_Al @ Feb 23 2004, 01:45 AM)

Originally posted by madyaks+Feb 23 2004, 02:00 AM-->
                          QUOTE(madyaks @ Feb 23 2004, 02:00 AM)
                          Originally posted by [email protected] 23 2004, 01:45 AM
                        Working...
                        X