Philadelphia Dispatch March 29, 2004

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philadelphia Dispatch March 29, 2004

Alright....touched down on Saturday, got to my hotel (Philly Mariott downtown) and got to work. About two blocks south and six blocks west of that area, there is a street that goes all the way to the delaware that is dotted with some pretty hip bars, restaurants and clubs. I'm sure most of Philly is dotted with cool bars, restaurants and clubs, but this is where I was. My gang and I pretty much drank out way to the river (stopping at a cool Asian Fusion joint called Budokhan) and made a left upriver to a joint called La Veranda. Had a great bottle of 88 Amarone and a Filet literally the size of my head. It had to be a 15-18+oz filet and it was ridiculous. I got it done in a barolo wine reduction and my pal had his in a peppercorn, so we just split them. Fantastic. I thought the price was good too. For a steak at Sam's it would have cost just as much for half a steak. Hit some bars, good time. The conference has been wildly productive. Had an under the table interview and have a job offer in hand, but I really like what i'm doing so it's a tough call. I'm losing sleep over it. Sunday was cool. Went to a hole in the wall called Ralph's that claims to be the oldest family owned Italian American joint in the country. The food was superb. Afterwards, hit south street, which is sort of like the loop, only twice as eclecitc. As a proponent of urban revitilization, it's a bit depressing to see a pretty vibrant downtown with people partying on a Sunday night. I'll cross my fingers and hope STL comes around. Had a Boddington's, which I haven't found in St. Louis at an Irish bar called the Blarney. There were like six guys in there with Irish accents so this place is legit. I have a break until five so i'm going to tour the historic district and possibly the Masonic temple, which is an impressive structure. A lot of history there. Oh, skipped the box lunch the conference ordered and cabbed it to Geno's for a cheesesteak. Then I walked over to Pat's and had another. Now i need to go to the bathroom.

Steve I, or any other functioning alcoholics....do you know where to get Boddington's in St. Louis?

Oh, the local brew is Yuengling, and it's awesome.
    Are you on the list?

What type of conference is this?

Is the job offer for a place in Philly?
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Mar 29 2004, 01:03 PM
      Steve I, or any other functioning alcoholics....do you know where to get Boddington's in St. Louis?
      Just had it at the Growler's on Olive about a week ago. I'd assume that all locations serve it.
      If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 29 2004, 01:06 PM
        What type of conference is this?

Is the job offer for a place in Philly?
        It's a software conference....the position would be an implementation consultant. It would involve a lot of travel. The money would be great, but the opportunity cost fairly high.
        Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson+Mar 29 2004, 01:08 PM-->
          QUOTE (Turd Ferguson @ Mar 29 2004, 01:08 PM)

They sell Boddington's at the Dierbergs in Warson Woods too.

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE+Mar 29 2004, 01:08 PM-->
            QUOTE (SLUBLUE @ Mar 29 2004, 01:08 PM)
            Originally posted by Turd [email protected] 29 2004, 01:08 PM

Growlers

It's #64 on the beer menu.
            If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Hmm. Do you like to travel?

I know how you feel about a job offer.

I had one about two weeks ago that I simply labored over for a long, long time. I just didn't know what to do.

Eventually I passed it up. Just too much travel for what I want to do at this point in my life.
              When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by Turd Ferguson+Mar 29 2004, 01:09 PM-->
                QUOTE (Turd Ferguson @ Mar 29 2004, 01:09 PM)
                Originally posted by [email protected] 29 2004, 01:08 PM
                Originally posted by Turd [email protected] 29 2004, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 29 2004, 01:10 PM
                Hmm. Do you like to travel?

I know how you feel about a job offer.

I had one about two weeks ago that I simply labored over for a long, long time. I just didn't know what to do.

Eventually I passed it up. Just too much travel for what I want to do at this point in my life.
                I like to travel but, I've already had one traveling job, I have a girlfriend now, and I'm in a master's program. It's a sticky wicket.
                Are you on the list?

Comment

Anyway, don't want to talk about the heavy stuff. Just wanted to tell y'all about the fun times in philly. Still waiting for CSD to recommend a jazz joint.
                  Are you on the list?

Comment

It's a sticky wicket.
                    That's what she said.
                    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Mar 29 2004, 01:12 PM
                      Anyway, don't want to talk about the heavy stuff. Just wanted to tell y'all about the fun times in philly. Still waiting for CSD to recommend a jazz joint.
                      I'm not too familiar with the jazz scene in Philly but the two places that I do know of are:

Warmdaddys

and

Zanzibar Blue

Those are two pretty popular hangouts in the city but I've never been to either.
                      Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Here's another place you might like:

Ortliebs Jazz Haus
                        Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

• Working...
                          X