Lawmakers Propose Uncapping Petroleum Reserve

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lawmakers Propose Uncapping Petroleum Reserve

WASHINGTON — Lawmakers on both sides of the political aisle are demanding that President Bush tap the Strategic Petroleum Reserve (search) to help American consumers cope with the cost of record-high gasoline prices.

Last week, Democratic senators called for an oil swap from the reserves, similar to a plan enacted under the Clinton administration in 2000 to help Northeastern consumers deal with high home heating costs.

“The petroleum reserves are intended to provide relief at times when working families are struggling to make ends meet,” wrote Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., a longtime advocate of manipulating reserve schedules, in a letter sent to the president last week. “That time is now.”

Schumer and Democratic Sens. Barbara Boxer of California and Harry Reid of Nevada said last week that since the reserve is close to hitting its 700 million-barrel capacity, the administration should temporarily cease stockpiling the reserve with 100,000 barrels of oil each day.

Rep. Robert Goodlatte, R-Va., agrees that the administration needs to cease stockpiling the reserve in order to divert the barrels into the open market.

“It is time to act, and to make sure that rising energy prices do not stall the rising economic recovery,” he told Foxnews.com.

Does this help or hurt the drive for oil independance?
    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Does this help or hurt the drive for oil independance?
    If the government would help those refineries closed because of aging equipment, this wouldn't be as much of a problem as it is now.

Comment

Well, hell, the governement should just provide energy to us free.

Comment

Well, hell, why fix the existing refineries when we can build new ones and fuck up the environment even more.

Comment

quit using oil, whiner.

Comment

Not only should they open the reserves, but, I'm in favor of drilling on the North Slope and off the California coast.
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by The Kev@Mar 29 2004, 10:34 AM
              Not only should they open the reserves, but, I'm in favor of drilling on the North Slope and off the California coast.
              I'm in favor of them drilling in Lazy's back yard.

Hell, we are so dependent on foreign oil and we need new refineries, so why not? I'm sure Lazy won't mind.

Comment

hah, I bought the mining rights to my land... They surely can drill in my back yard.

Comment

Working...
                X