Win2k Server Adminstration Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win2k Server Adminstration Issue

I am the owner of a webserver that a fellow employee needs access to in order to add users to the sites, and a few other minute tasks. The problem is that it seems I need to give Admin access to do this, and this person continues to mess with my server in ways that would make Paris Hilton blush. Big things too, like leaving source code in public directories. Is there any way to limit their access to my critical folders/files and still give them the ability to add users to the user groups? I'm getting tired of cleaning up the messes. Repeated talks have not solved the situation.

Thanks in advance.

have you tried shaking it?
    Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Feb 22 2004, 04:40 PM
      have you tried shaking it?
      like a polaroid picture, but no luck.

Comment

then i got nothin.

buy a new one.
        Are you on the list?

Comment

You should be able to let him into your "admin" group, but ALSO add him to a group you make up that has "no access" to the folders you want to keep him out of, then he will be able to access the stuff you want him to, and at the same time he will have no access to you programs files or whatever you are trying to keep him out of.
          Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Multiple domains or single?

Comment

Originally posted by pgrote@Feb 22 2004, 04:57 PM
              Multiple domains or single?
              Not sure what you mean by this. It's one server, one IP address, but several sites. We route incoming trafic by the host header name, so we have a seperate DNS entry for each site.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Feb 22 2004, 04:56 PM
                You should be able to let him into your "admin" group, but ALSO add him to a group you make up that has "no access" to the folders you want to keep him out of, then he will be able to access the stuff you want him to, and at the same time he will have no access to you programs files or whatever you are trying to keep him out of.
                As an admin, wouldn't they be able to add their name to the group I created?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo+Feb 22 2004, 04:59 PM-->
                  QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Feb 22 2004, 04:59 PM)

Originally posted by pgrote@Feb 22 2004, 05:08 PM
                  No trusts established with others?

Have you tried adding him to the power user's group and removing him from the admin group? I am not sure of your file security structure, but it might work.
                  No, pretty self contained. We are migrating to Unix, or hopefully Linux soon.

Haven't tried the Power User group. Will a power user be able to add users to access groups? If so, then I could restrict my folders to Admins only.

Comment

Yes.

They just can't access the folders they don't own.

Comment

Awesome.

Thank you.

Comment

did you try hooking up your linux to the pci slot?
                        Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Feb 22 2004, 07:43 PM
                          did you try hooking up your linux to the pci slot?
                          Hell yeah dude. Then I tried mapping my proxy server to my hot sink, but it blew up my Java. So I tried to use my IP to get my AV up to speed with my motherboard, but it all went to hell when I accidently used my FTP to reboot my video card. I had Unix installed on my modem, but then my LAN fried my serial ports. USB was no help either. I think I'm totally fucked though because my router ate my firewall and SSL.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo+Feb 22 2004, 08:27 PM-->
                            QUOTE(Dr.Gonzo @ Feb 22 2004, 08:27 PM)
                          Working...
                          X