X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moe_Szyslak
    replied
    Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 29 2004, 10:53 AM

There are supposed links to al qaeda, as reported by the clinton admin and many others.
    I call bullshit, so please "show me."

Cheney's "meeting" between Atta and Iraq in Prague was the smoking gun, publicly floated pre-war and since debunked. Even the administration has backed away from the al Queda connection, but to your credit, lazy, you are more dogged and loyal that those picking up a government paycheck.

Leave a comment:

• Moe_Szyslak
    replied
    Originally posted by phantom@Mar 29 2004, 10:56 AM
    Funny how Moe turned this into a conversation about Iraq.

First, he posted saying that Clarke hadn't been proven wrong about anything. But Moe is only willing to focus on the Iraq part. What about the focus on terror prior to 9/11? Clarke's conclusions that the Bush Admin was unreasonably negligent were wrong.
    IMO, Clarke's observations about the focus on Iraq are much more serious than his contention that Bush could have prevented 9/11 - which I do not buy.

Leave a comment:

• phantom
    replied
    Funny how Moe turned this into a conversation about Iraq.

First, he posted saying that Clarke hadn't been proven wrong about anything. But Moe is only willing to focus on the Iraq part. What about the focus on terror prior to 9/11? Clarke's conclusions that the Bush Admin was unreasonably negligent were wrong.

Leave a comment:

• dv6y
    replied
    Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 29 2004, 09:58 AM
    Clarke describes his book, in the preface, as "factual, not polemical," and he said in an interview that he was a registered Republican in the 2000 election
    Former counterterrorism czar Richard A. Clarke insists his attacks on President George W. Bush have nothing to do with politics, but an Insight check of Federal Election Commission (FEC) records shows that his only political contributions in the last decade have gone to Democrats.

FEC records show that Clarke reported no political contributions when he worked in the Clinton administration in the electoral cycles of the 1990s and 2000, when he said he was a Republican.

nothing damning here, just background fodder.
    Good points, thanks.

Again, I can understand the guy voting for Gore after working with him for 8 years, regardless of his politics. But yes, full disclosure is a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• lazydaze
    replied
    no link to al Queda or 9/11 ever existed
    There are supposed links to al qaeda, as reported by the clinton admin and many others.

Maybe not evidence of complicity in 9/11. But this was a war against terror not just vengeance for 9/11

Leave a comment:

• Moe_Szyslak
    replied
    that's where our roads diverge...

I think invading Iraq pre-emptively (and largely unilaterally) was a colossal mistake - and that Bush is exposed on this issue. (He must agree, given the double-barrelled attack on Clarke). The dissed and ignored Blix, told the allies to stuff it, and found no WMD...no link to al Queda or 9/11 ever existed...now looking at a decade of occupation and at least half a trillion dollars to unseat a bankrupt, delusional dictator who was focused on writing his romance novels.

You guys seem to be good with it.

Honest difference of opinion.

Moe

Leave a comment:

• phantom
    replied
    Moe,

Don't forget that many anti-Bush people are focusing on more than just Iraq when discussing Clarke's accusations.

Many are saying that the Bush Administration was unreasonably negligent in dealing with terror -- even more negligent than previous administrations. This has not been shown to be true dispite Clarke's statements.

Leave a comment:

• lazydaze
    replied
    no, that it was an obsession or detrimental to the larger war on terror.

Leave a comment:

• phantom
    replied
    Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Mar 29 2004, 10:37 AM
    Exactly.

And the facts - especially the administration's obsession with Iraq, corroborated elsewhere - are damning, IMO.

Moe
    If you think that looking at Iraq was inherently wrong, then yes, Clarke's facts are damning.

But many don't believe that looking at Iraq was wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Moe_Szyslak
    replied
    Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 29 2004, 10:38 AM
    opinion
    That the administration was focused on Iraq immediately post-9/11?

Leave a comment:

• lazydaze
    replied
    opinion

Leave a comment:

• Moe_Szyslak
    replied
    Originally posted by phantom+Mar 29 2004, 10:28 AM-->
    QUOTE (phantom @ Mar 29 2004, 10:28 AM)

• lazydaze
    replied
    Moe, all of th BS has been refuted. Even by Clarke himself.

The accounts of high-level conversations and meetings given by Clarke in various television appearances, beginning with the 60 Minutes interview, differ in significant respects from the recollections of a former top counterterrorism official who participated in the same conversations and meetings: Richard Clarke. In several cases, the version of events provided by Clarke this week include details and embellishments that do not appear in his new book, Against All Enemies. While the discrepancies do not, on their own, discredit Clarke's larger arguments, they do raise questions about whether Clarke's eagerness to publicize his story and rip the Bush Administration have clouded his memory of the facts.

Leave a comment:

• phantom
    replied
    Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Mar 29 2004, 10:27 AM
    I've still yet to see/hear/read any direct refutation of any of Clarke's claims.

Moe
    Have you read the posts in this thread? I think not.

It's not the facts that are in dispute. It's the conclusions/spin.

Leave a comment:

• Moe_Szyslak
    replied
    I've still yet to see/hear/read any direct refutation of any of Clarke's claims.

Moe

Leave a comment:

• Working...
    X