Bush:Had I known the enemy was going to use planes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush:Had I known the enemy was going to use planes

I suppose Bush can try to get out of this with a "semantic" twisting of the word "know." I mean, although Bush had been warned numerous times about the possible threat from terrorists using airplanes, it's debatable whether it is possible at all to "know" something is going to happen in the future, or whether anyone is capable of actually "knowing" reality behind the shroud of Maya that obscures our view from this earthly realm. Does anybody really know what time it is? Does anybody really care?

http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room//index.html

The Center for American Progress has been digging into the archives to help clarify claims made by the Bush White House as it tries to repair the damage from revelations made in the 9/11 commission public hearings and the newly released book by former counterterrorism chief Richard Clarke.

Today in a speech in New Hampshire, President Bush defended his administration's actions before 9/11, saying: "Had I known that the enemy was going to use airplanes to strike America, to attack us, I would have used every resource, every asset, every power of this government to protect the American people."

But CAP quickly found previous reports that the president was told of the possibility that al-Qaida was exploring the use of airliners as terror weapons, including against U.S. targets:

FACT: On August 6, 2001, President Bush personally "received a one-and-a-half page briefing advising him that Osama bin Laden was capable of a major strike against the US, and that the plot could include the hijacking of an American airplane."
    -- Dateline NBC, 9/10/02 (Transcript in Nexis)

FACT: U.S. and Italian officials were warned in July 2001 that Islamic terrorists had considered "crashing an airliner into the Genoa summit of industrialized nations."
    -- LA Times, 9/27/01.

FACT: A 1999 report prepared by the Library of Congress for the National Intelligence Council "warned that Osama bin Laden's terrorists could hijack an airliner and fly it into government buildings like the Pentagon." The report specifically said, "Suicide bomber(s) belonging to al-Qaida's Martyrdom Battalion could crash-land an aircraft packed with high explosives … into the Pentagon, the headquarters of the CIA, or the White House."
    -- CBS News, 5/17/02.

CAP also found this nugget, showing that the State Department under Bush downplayed the importance of the threat of Osama bin Laden in its annual terrorism report in early 2001.

"The State Department officially released its annual terrorism report just a little more than an hour ago, but unlike last year, there's no extensive mention of alleged terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden. A senior State Department official tells CNN the U.S. government made a mistake in focusing so much energy on bin Laden and 'personalizing terrorism.'"
    -- CNN, 4/30/2001.
    2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Trig, do you actually believe that facts will change anyone's mind?
    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

You can smell the fear.
      Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Originally posted by nick2@Mar 26 2004, 04:05 PM
        Trig, do you actually believe that facts will change anyone's mind?
        Of course not. After all - this article is from Salon.

But in all seriousness, this is disturbing. In 1999, the Library of Congress warned about terrorists using planes as weapons. At that point, the Clinton administration should have immediately told airlines to revise their policies regarding hijacking. Obviously they didn't, and they were lucky nothing happened on their watch. The Bush administration should have done it when they took office, but obviously they didn't and the worst case scenario happened.

Both administrations dropped the ball on it, but it sure looks like Bush got additional warnings about the possible threat and didn't do anything. And on top of that, he acts like he had never heard of the possibility before it happened.
        2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Trig?

What in the heck would you have done on the morning of 911?

Scramble a 4Flight of Tomcats from PAX river with shoot to kill orders?

Your 4 flight is in the air with multiple POSSIBLE targets..........

What are you going to do?

Wanna fox your AIM's at multiple bogies? Where is your info immediate on tot?

What are targets?

What do you tell the air boss?

Shoot to kill?

Targets identified?

You sure?

Wanna blow TW919 ought of the sky? how about Critter 202, or Blue 333, or NW 567 or CO 666 , or....so on and so forth.

IMO - you and your ilk would rather see the US of a auger-in just to say I told you so.

Sad,

Stryker

Comment

TS, if the administration didn't fear there were some landmines buried in this story, they'd have cooperated with the commission they appointed. Not saying it could have been prevented, but, IMO, their approach here has stoked the conspiracy embers. Today I read Condi will meet with the commission, but only in private and not under oath...

Moe
            The Dude abides.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Stryker@Mar 26 2004, 04:18 PM
              Trig?

IMO - you and your ilk would rather see the US of a auger-in just to say I told you so.

Sad,

Stryker
              Stryker, despite your smart-ass response, I'll give you a reasonable answer.

As soon as it was clear that terrorists were considering using planes as weapons (which was as early as 1999), the airlines should have been warned to revise their hijacking policies.

Now feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm basing my opinion on info from my cousin, who is a commercial pilot. It's my understanding that the hijacking policy before 9/11 was to basically assume that hijackers wanted to land the plane and hold it hostage on the ground somewhere. All planned responses to hijackings were formed around that assumption.

If the assumption was that the plane would be intentionally crashed into something, the planned responses would be different. The cockpit doors would have been locked and reinforced. More severe measures would be in place to prevent hijackers from reaching the cockpit. Basically - the same protections now in place should have been in place in 1999. In the worst case, the pilots could depressurize the cabin to neutralize the hijackers.

So my complaint (here) is not what was done on 9/11, but from 1999 on.

I'd be interested in your thoughts.

As for the "auger-in", I have no idea what you mean.

Comment

Neither does he, but I guess it sounded pseudo-clever.
                His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 26 2004, 04:32 PM
                  Hey, I thought the pilot lingo sounded cool!!!!!!!!!! Impressive!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Mr. G

Comment

Well, I think an "auger in " is a spiraling plane crash or something, but he made a typo or something.

I guess it's just another way of saying I hate America or want US citizens to die, just so I can say I told you so.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Stryker@Mar 26 2004, 04:18 PM
                      Trig?

Scramble a 4Flight of Tomcats from PAX river with shoot to kill orders?

Your 4 flight is in the air with multiple POSSIBLE targets..........

What are you going to do?

Wanna fox your AIM's at multiple bogies? Where is your info immediate on tot?

What are targets?

What do you tell the air boss?

Shoot to kill?

Targets identified?

You sure?

Wanna blow TW919 ought of the sky? how about Critter 202, or Blue 333, or NW 567 or CO 666 , or....so on and so forth.

Sad,

Stryker
                      There were protocols in place before 9/11 for dealing with hijacked planes. They do not involve presidential approval and they do involve shooting down a hijacked commercial jetliner as a last resort.
                      Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

auger usually means to crash on purpose - in pilot lingo.

han solo

Comment

I guess it's just another way of saying I hate America or want US citizens to die, just so I can say I told you so.
                          I got it.

It's probably more beneficial to ridicule the idea than the garbled syntax that was supposed to convey it.

We "liberals" -- American citizens -- hate America, and we would rather be proven right about Bush than see our country thrive in security.

That's why he put it that way...when you type it out, it's complete nonsense.
                          His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                          Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

To begin with, by mid August Red Security Alerts would have been issued to all Airlines, and the extra security measures at the vehicle, baggage and passanger check-in stations might well have stopped at least one of the four terrorist groups. Immediately, the FAA, or other designated alert Agency would have been called.

Any hijacked planes that did take off would have been early in flight, so I believe the that much could have been done-- probably at the expense of the passangers-- to stop the targets from being reached.
                            Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

Moe -

Then you may be pseudo-prick?

Auger-in=screwed the pooch...........meaning crashed and burned.

Point being that sometimes I get the feeling that some of the libs would love to see GWB fail just because........

Stryker

Comment

Working...
                              X