Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever donated a car to charity?

Seriously.

No, none of you guys qualify as a charity.

I have a car that is in excellent shape, runs well, but needs about $1500 worth of work. Rather than pay to fix it and try to sell it, I'm considering donating it to charity and taking the tax deduction at the end of the year. The Blue Book value is about $2500, but there's no way I could sell it for that much considering the amount of work it needs. If I'm lucky, I could maybe get $500 for it.

Anyone ever done this? I've looked at a couple of websites and they sure make it seem like there will be no hassles on my part.

Anything I need to know going in?
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Take the body and drugs out of the trunk and you'll be golden.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo@Mar 26 2004, 03:27 PM
      Take the body and drugs out of the trunk and you'll be golden.
      Here we go....

Comment

Elvis.

Honestly I've never done it, but I do know that you need to make sure it is an IRS approved charity and keep the damn receipt.

Comment

I did it on a beater with a ruined transmission. It is extremely easy to do. In the end, it didn't save me any money on my taxes or anything, but it kept me from having to register the car in a new state and pay for smog testing and a bunch of other fees that I would have incurred if I had sold it.
          2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo@Mar 26 2004, 03:28 PM
            Elvis.

Honestly I've never done it, but I do know that you need to make sure it is an IRS approved charity and keep the damn receipt.
            Yeah, on a couple of the websites I saw, they said you had to give them the title and they would provide the receipt for the IRS. They will even tow it away for free. I honestly think my tax deduction will result in a refund that will be more than I could sell it for. Plus, I won't have the hassle and expense of selling it.

Comment

Honestly, if people will pay $9.95 for a piece of shit ARod faced quarter, I am certain you can get what you want out of that car......
              Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Mar 26 2004, 03:31 PM
                Honestly, if people will pay $9.95 for a piece of shit ARod faced quarter, I am certain you can get what you want out of that car......
                You're probably right. I just don't want the hassle.

Thanks for the info trig. It does seem like an easy thing to do.

Comment

Selling my old beat-up Volvo wagon to my nephew's friend for $100.00 was damn charitable...........And I didn't even get a tax deduction...........
                  AKA reddevil
                  AKA davel a devil

[COLOR=red'][/COLOR]

Comment

Should require VERY little on your part. Call the American Diabetes Foundation (the name might not be exactly that) I'm pretty sure they do it and will tow the car away for you.

Comment

the American Cancer society is a good bet too.

Comment

I donated an ex-wife to charity. She had some miles on her and needed some body work but The Church of Whats Happinin' Now seemed happy at the time.

Stryker

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Stryker@Mar 26 2004, 03:48 PM
                          I donated an ex-wife to charity. She had some miles on her and needed some body work but The Church of Whats Happinin' Now seemed happy at the time.

Stryker
                          Did they hit you with the Platinum Healing Glove?

Comment

St. Vincent DePaul Society will accept your donation. It will help you with the taxes. What I did is go to Kelly Blue Book and put in all the info and they ask what condition your car is in. I don't think the IRS would check on the condition if you know what I mean. Then use that in adddition to the receipt from the charity. I've done it twice.
                            RIP Stan the Man
                            The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
                            I miss TLR!

Comment

i still laugh at it, but we gave my car to a charity for the blind. my car had been in an accident and the body was so shifted you couldn't open the passenger door and the front bumper was off of it. after i got a new car and wasn't driving it around, it even quit running and got a flat. but sure enough these people came out and towed it away. just make sure if you have any questions that they'll be able to answer them for you + they do it politely and are willing to speak to you.

Comment

Working...
                              X