• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now the Pentagon tells Bush:

· Secret report warns of rioting and nuclear war
    · Britain will be 'Siberian' in less than 20 years
    · Threat to the world is greater than terrorism

Climate change over the next 20 years could result in a global catastrophe costing millions of lives in wars and natural disasters..
    A secret report, suppressed by US defence chiefs and obtained by The Observer, warns that major European cities will be sunk beneath rising seas as Britain is plunged into a 'Siberian' climate by 2020. Nuclear conflict, mega-droughts, famine and widespread rioting will erupt across the world.

The document predicts that abrupt climate change could bring the planet to the edge of anarchy as countries develop a nuclear threat to defend and secure dwindling food, water and energy supplies. The threat to global stability vastly eclipses that of terrorism, say the few experts privy to its contents.

'Disruption and conflict will be endemic features of life,' concludes the Pentagon analysis. 'Once again, warfare would define human life.'

The findings will prove humiliating to the Bush administration, which has repeatedly denied that climate change even exists. Experts said that they will also make unsettling reading for a President who has insisted national defence is a priority.

The report was commissioned by influential Pentagon defence adviser Andrew Marshall, who has held considerable sway on US military thinking over the past three decades. He was the man behind a sweeping recent review aimed at transforming the American military under Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.

MORE

Mr. G

Originally posted by Mr. Goalie@Feb 22 2004, 11:39 AM
    · Secret report warns of rioting and nuclear war
    · Britain will be 'Siberian' in less than 20 years
    · Threat to the world is greater than terrorism

The findings will prove humiliating to the Bush administration, which has repeatedly denied that climate change even exists. Experts said that they will also make unsettling reading for a President who has insisted national defence is a priority.

MORE

Mr. G
    I heard this somewhere else a few days ago. I find it hard to believe that only a "secret" commission has come to this conclusion if it's accurate.

Second, the statement about it being humiliating for the Bush Administration is ludicrous. What is Bush supposed to do about it anyway? How does this statement even belong in the article?
    "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

I've been listening to Doomsday predictions since I was a teenager.

Yawn....
      Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

The report was commissioned by influential Pentagon defence adviser Andrew Marshall, who has held considerable sway on US military thinking over the past three decades. He was the man behind a sweeping recent review aimed at transforming the American military under Defence Secretary Donald Rumsfeld.
        Sounds like they have been planning for it.

how humiliating for the administration.

What a cheeshead article.
        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Second, the statement about it being humiliating for the Bush Administration is ludicrous. What is Bush supposed to do about it anyway?

Humiliating is probably a little harsh but the government does need to get their shit together.

Bush says one thing and the Pentagon says the exact opposite? Which is it? It's confusing and they need to decide what their opinion is and run with it.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Bush says one thing and Cheney says something completely different. It's like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Mr. G

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Goalie@Feb 22 2004, 12:09 PM
            Second, the statement about it being humiliating for the Bush Administration is ludicrous. What is Bush supposed to do about it anyway?

Humiliating is probably a little harsh but the government does need to get their shit together.

Bush says one thing and the Pentagon says the exact opposite? Which is it? It's confusing and they need to decide what their opinion is and run with it.

This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Bush says one thing and Cheney says something completely different. It's like the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

Mr. G
            Cheney will get W straightened out.
            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Originally posted by TTB@Feb 22 2004, 11:50 AM
              I've been listening to Doomsday predictions since I was a teenager.

Yawn....
              Where did I put the damn key to the fallout shelter?
              Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Originally posted by hkyfan+Feb 22 2004, 12:30 PM-->
                QUOTE(hkyfan @ Feb 22 2004, 12:30 PM)

Bring it on.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Goalie@Feb 22 2004, 12:09 PM
                  Mr. G.

(Note: Goalies are known for their patience, sitting in the net for long stretches without any action. So.....)

How long are you willing to wait for the government to "get their shit together"?

Is there a button we can press somewhere?

Comment

Yeah, THEY really should do something.

Meanwhile, any good movies on satellite?
                    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

As long as there is still an internet, I'm cool.

Bring it, bitches.

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Could this be related to the infamous oil production peak that geophysicists now say we have hit??? A geophysicist named M. King Hubbert predicted in the 1950s that oil production for the world will basically follow a bell curve distribution over time...and that once we have moved past the peak, it would forever decline...

Other scientists have speculated that once we do get far enough down the curve, we would have to switch to coal to supply our energy needs and continue the growth of the world economy (nuclear, wind, solar, geothermal energy being insufficient to even come close to satisfying our current energy demands - not to mention the fact that they currently need petroleum-based products themselves to generate the machinery and infrastructure that generates energy!!!)

What they've concluded is that switching to coal in such massive amounts will result in an irreversible catastrophic climate change that threatens life on the planet...

The main thing being debated right now is where we are on the curve...some people believe we hit "Peak Oil" this year...still others think we won't hit it until 2020 or so...

After that...who knows???

I hope someone in the government is listening to these guys...
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                        OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Originally posted by King in KC+Feb 22 2004, 03:08 PM-->
                          QUOTE(King in KC @ Feb 22 2004, 03:08 PM)

Originally posted by Mr. Goalie@Feb 22 2004, 06:30 PM
                          King,

Do you have faith in a government that keeps sending out different messages on the same topic? I certainly don't. I remember reading, not too long ago, someone in the Administration (sorry, can't remember who) was quoted as saying Cheney needed to read the memo about WMD or lack thereof.
                          Mr. G:

You don't really think I need any further proof that the people who seek positions of influence within the state are not to be trusted, do you?

I don't know where we disagree here. Perhaps it is this: I don't believe the bumbling you have uncovered in this thread will change much just because the clowns have a D next to their name instead of an R.

I wish more people felt that way. I think it was Mencken who said something about it being the duty of every self-respecting man to hold his government in contempt.

Comment

Working...
                          X