Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody else want to do construction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody else want to do construction?

Seriously, now, sometimes I think about taking off work for a few months and working construction. Assuming I have the basic skills and can lift shit, would I need any other permits, certificates, etc.? Maybe somebody here can fill me in.

Wouldn't want to work in the summer -- I feel wicked BAD for the people who do roofing in Vegas during the summer -- but from November to March, it would be hella fun.

We are becoming a sedentary species. I sit in meetings all day, and often have to wear a suit. How fun is that?! I love my weekends, but during the week, I feel out of touch with the fundamentals of man -- being outside and working. Does anybody else feel this way?
    The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life. -TR

OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF NEW YORK CITY, TEDDY ROOSEVELT AND THE MARYLAND TERRAPINS

Madyaks2 Thought Of The Day: I'm just as dumb as madyaks1.

Sometimes I do. I just got done redoing my basement. I had no handyman skills before that but it turned out pretty good. Makes me want to do other shit like that.

My brother builds decks in the summer and loves it because he makes good money and enjoys working outdoors (not when it's 100 though). No one likes that.
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

I was a commercial union carpenter...strictly interior work...it wasn't that bad...payed pretty good...the most difficult part of the job was tolerating the delinquent hoosier co-workers...
      . . . and to tell you this: I work with gays, have friends who are gay, go to church with gays. Most of them are aware that I believe that homosexual behavior is sin. Some of them actually agree. Most don't. It's OK . . . because they also know or at least have been made aware of my multitude of sins: adulterous heart, lustful and covetous behavior, wicked pride, angry spirit . . . do I need to go on?
      -mike
      mike smith, post-dispatch online sports editor

Comment

Vegas - I've spent the last two weeks on and off at construction sites. Supervising, not actually working, but it still sucks.

Get up at 5:00. Drive 1+ hour to site. Stay on a dirty, noisy construction site, carrying shit around for 8 or 9 hours, outside in crappy weather - wind, sun, rain, cold, whatever. Drive 1+ hour home.

For the first day or two it's a nice change of pace. Do it for a week and you'll want to be back in the office.
        2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

No.
          His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
          Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions@Mar 25 2004, 04:20 PM
            Vegas - I've spent the last two weeks on and off at construction sites. Supervising, not actually working, but it still sucks.

Get up at 5:00. Drive 1+ hour to site. Stay on a dirty, noisy construction site, carrying shit around for 8 or 9 hours, outside in crappy weather - wind, sun, rain, cold, whatever. Drive 1+ hour home.

For the first day or two it's a nice change of pace. Do it for a week and you'll want to be back in the office.
            How could you like that gig? The workers hate you. The suits are pressuring you. The workers really hate you. You can't slip out around the back for a quick toke. The workers hate you, really, really bad, even if they won't tell you that. They hate you. Really. That just sucks. <_<

Construction in Missouri is great for about three weeks out of the year. Other than that it's 100% humidity and 100 degrees or raining or zero degrees or snowing or sleeting or icing.

Only one thing can make it bearable: A topless siding crew of women who don't hate you.

I once made that happen. For a couple of days on a very remote site. Didn't get much work done and lost two fingernails but had a whale of a time.
            Official sponsor of the baseball gods and other missalaneous stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by justwundrin@Mar 25 2004, 05:33 PM

Only one thing can make it bearable: A topless siding crew of women who don't hate you.

I once made that happen. For a couple of days on a very remote site. Didn't get much work done and lost two fingernails but had a whale of a time.
              Please, tell us more.
              RIP Stan the Man
              The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
              I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by OldSchoolStroker@Mar 25 2004, 04:16 PM
                I was a commercial union carpenter...strictly interior work...it wasn't that bad...payed pretty good...the most difficult part of the job was tolerating the delinquent hoosier co-workers...
                I spent the day putting together an entertainment center - cost of entertainment center $90.00. Total time it took to put it together 5 hours. My second project of the week. It cost far more in time than the cost of center.

I still do some work for the carpenters union - but not in a carpenter capacity - I am on one of the boards.

Between being a carpenter and a mechanic take the carpenter less busted up knuckles.
                The problem with both as someone mentioned is this - take a guy fresh out of high school and give him a pretty decent income (more so as a carpenter) and the liquor can flow freely. There really needs to be some counseling done in that area.
                Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Well...I am good with my hands

Never tried carpentry work though...

Actually...I used to work in our company's factories when I was a teenager...operated presses and lathes...

Manual labour is a Bitch!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi@Mar 25 2004, 08:41 PM
                    Well...I am good with my hands

Never tried carpentry work though...

Actually...I used to work in our company's factories when I was a teenager...operated presses and lathes...

Manual labour is a Bitch!!!
                    "Tell me about it, man. I gotta wake my ass up at six AM every day of this week and drag myself up to Las Calinas. Yeah, I’m doing the drywall up there at the new McDonalds."

Comment

I've done some roofs in my time. It is shit work unless you love busting your ass. My friend is in the union and comes home so damn tired some times it's amazing.
                      Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

NOFUCKINGWAY

my family owns a pretty successful concrete business, a carpentry business, a farm and two hunting clubs. Working concrete in the summers in HS and college was a bitch. I learned a lot, and I'm very handy and enjoy doing my own fix it projects (which is why i'm looking for gut rehabs) but I know enough not to want to do it on a daily basis. In the spring and fall I always take a few weekends to dick around on the farm and get some air, and during hunting seasons I go down and cook for hunters and occasionally guide, but I'm more than happy steering a desk. I've got a great window with a fine view that affords me unobstructed vistas of women in their late teens and early twenties.

It's a living.
                        Are you on the list?

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 25 2004, 05:23 PM
                          No.
                          I'll second that emotion.

Comment

Working...
                          X