Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush Fund Raiser Closes School

Leave no child behind unless there's money to be made. <_<

President Bush will swoop into Boston for a quick fund-raiser this afternoon that could net his campaign $1 million and also draw several thousand protesters, force the closure of a school, and disrupt traffic near the Park Plaza Hotel.

Tracey Ganiatsos, a spokeswoman for the Boston Transportation Department, said the US Secret Service told the city it intends to close several streets near the hotel "for a good portion of the day," but the streets involved will not be disclosed publicly for security reasons. Special parking restrictions will also be in effect.

The president's visit unexpectedly canceled classes for 1,425 children at the Boston Renaissance Charter School, a K-8 institution on Stuart Street a block away from the hotel. The Boston Public Schools system, which provides about 30 buses to transport Renaissance students, said it could not guarantee timely pick-up of students at dismissal time, said Dudley Blodget, chief operating officer of the Renaissance School's foundation. The school also feared that the 300 parents who pick up their children would not be able to reach the school.

"It's a sad situation that you have to close off school because of a fund-raising event," said Roger F. Harris, Renaissance headmaster.

MORE

Mr. G

forced closing or choice?
    Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Good!

Now there's another 1,425 additional future Republicans.

Those kids love GWB now.

Comment

those kids are blessed to be King George's subjects...
        The Dude abides.

Comment

Is this even news? It's one day of school. I hope the kids don't forget what 2 x 2 is when class resumes.
          Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
          "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Originally posted by Moe_Szyslak@Mar 25 2004, 02:29 PM
            those kids are blessed to be King George's subjects...
            Only in your world where the 600 other legislators are inconsequential.
            Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

It's amazing how deep some people will dig.
              Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

I'm sure the parents who will have to spend money on a baby-sitter or day care that day will really appreciate this.

Bush makes a Million $, while 1,000+ parents spend, what, $50 each on day care? In a way, that's $50,000 of cash redistributed from working families into GWB's campaign fund.

Robin Hood in reverse.
                2005 Mandatory Loyalty Oath: I love America, our troops, baseball, Moms, and certain pies. I want no harm to come to any of those institutions, nor do I take any glee in their demise.

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 25 2004, 03:27 PM

You never fail to disappoint, lazy.

They didn't have any choice so they were, for all intents and purposes, forced to close. If parents and/or the children's bus ride home can't get to the school, exactly what choice does the school have but to close down?

Mr. G

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Mar 25 2004, 03:33 PM
                    It's amazing how deep some people will dig.
                    Dig?

Hardly.

Surprisingly enough, I found this little tidbit on the Drudge Report. Old Matt must be slipping.

Mr. G

Comment

Originally posted by ohio BLUES@Mar 25 2004, 03:32 PM
                      Is this even news? It's one day of school. I hope the kids don't forget what 2 x 2 is when class resumes.
                      DING©

I guess I should bitch aboot the Pope when he came to STL and shutdown SLU for two days....

Geezus....borderhouse reach if I ever saw one....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I'm sure we'll see a lot of this since nobody has anything good to say about Kerry.
                        Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Guess the liberals never rooted for a snow day when they were kids.

How far can you take your dogma?

Endlessly apparently.

Again, I long for the days when the Dems had a sense of humour. (spelling intentional)

Comment

The Boston Public Schools system, which provides about 30 buses to transport Renaissance students, said it could not guarantee timely pick-up of students at dismissal time, said Dudley Blodget, chief operating officer of the Renaissance School's foundation. The school also feared that the 300 parents who pick up their children would not be able to reach the school.
                            Reading Is Fundamental.

Comment

Originally posted by Trigfunctions@Mar 25 2004, 03:34 PM
                              I'm sure the parents who will have to spend money on a baby-sitter or day care that day will really appreciate this.

Bush makes a Million $, while 1,000+ parents spend, what, $50 each on day care? In a way, that's $50,000 of cash redistributed from working families into GWB's campaign fund.

Robin Hood in reverse.
                              i was thinking the same thing. it may just be one day, but if its unexpected the parents probably didn't get much time in preparing where there kids went and some probably had to take a day off of work even though they know they're not getting paid for that day + they're gonna have a ton of paperwork still on their desks when they get back.

Comment

Working...
                              X