Something you don't hear everyday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something you don't hear everyday

At Schnucks last night, waiting behind an older gentleman to pick up some chicken tenders for my offspring. Said older gentleman has a nice chitchat with the woman behind the counter.

He leaves, I move up. The woman says, "Isn't it great someone as old as he is can still get around so well? I mean, going to the parade and everything!"

"Yes, it is."

"He's a very nice man. He's been a customer of ours for a long time, since we first had the restaurant here."

"Really."

"He's got a mail-order bride."

Originally posted by ReggieCleveland@Feb 22 2004, 09:11 AM

"He's a very nice man. He's been a customer of ours for a long time, since we first had the restaurant here."
    The restaurant part makes me think: Manchester Road, just north of Bopp?

BTW, my offspring send me out for shrimp and baby back ribs - where did I go wrong?

Comment

What is this fascination with chicken tenders? Is it really chicken, and are they actually all that "tender"? Everytime I see some curtain-climber in a restaurant mowing on a plate full of them I walk by and whisper "They're people...they're PEOPLE!!!!"

Moon

Comment

Yes, the Des Peres Schnucks.

Brentwood used to have the "Station" restaurant, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man@Feb 22 2004, 09:23 AM
          What is this fascination with chicken tenders? Is it really chicken, and are they actually all that "tender"? Everytime I see some curtain-climber in a restaurant mowing on a plate full of them I walk by and whisper "They're people...they're PEOPLE!!!!"

Moon
          Moon,

I am slow...Please help...

What are "curtain-climbers"?

What are people? Are you inferringthat chicken tenders are made out of people?
          Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

What is this fascination with chicken tenders?
            It's one of the few things kids will ALWAYS eat. You don't realize how invaluable this is until you become a parent yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by ReggieCleveland@Feb 22 2004, 09:26 AM
              Yes, the Des Peres Schnucks.

Brentwood used to have the "Station" restaurant, too.
              If you have lived near the Des Peres Schnucks for a long time, Reg, I may know you. (Yikes, you're not in the house off Ballas Road with a statue of Lincoln in front, are you?)

BTW, I think the one in Webster had a "Station" also, did it not?

Comment

Thanks Reg. I have a 6-month old, and the wife and I are vegetarian, so I'm not looking forward to the day when he asks for them, and I have to bust out my "The poultry industry is evil" canned speech. Maybe I should just start reading The Jungle to him every night before bed.

My mom used to call mischievous little kids, curtain climbers. The quote is from Soylent Green, when Chuck "My cold dead hands" Heston realizes that they are turning dead people into food. Love his movies, but only Shatner can out-overact that guy.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man@Feb 22 2004, 09:33 AM
                  Thanks Reg. I have a 6-month old, and the wife and I are vegetarian, so I'm not looking forward to the day when he asks for them, and I have to bust out my "The poultry industry is evil" canned speech. Maybe I should just start reading The Jungle to him every night before bed.

My mom used to call mischievous little kids, curtain climbers. The quote is from Soylent Green, when Chuck "My cold dead hands" Heston realizes that they are turning dead people into food. Love his movies, but only Shatner can out-overact that guy.

Moon
                  I love your posts, Moon Man.

Comment

BTW, I think the one in Webster had a "Station" also, did it not?
                    I'm drawing a blank on where that one is. Next to what used to be Streetside Records?

Here's something I bet every parent on this board will back me up on: Ninety-five percent of the things you say you'll never do as a parent....you do. Constantly.

Comment

I think the Webster Schnucks is at Big Bend and Elm (or is it Gore?), right at 44.

There used to be a little gas station down the street, right by the railroad tracks and the Webster train station called "Mr. Gas." I used to love it when we got gas there when I was a kid because the guy gave away lollipops.

Go-go juice and concentrated sugar. Good times...good times.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man@Feb 22 2004, 09:33 AM

Moon
                        Gotcha now Moon.

While we are not vegetarians, we eat mostly organic, non-processed foods at the household.

We make our own chicken tenders, with free range chicken, corn meal and olive oil. Doesn't really help if you are vegetarian. You can get some packeged non-meat type tenders from your Wild Oats or Whole Foods. Kids (mine) will eat that.

Moon, do you consume dairy?
                        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

I think the Webster Schnucks is at Big Bend and Elm (or is it Gore?), right at 44.
                          I'm an idiot. (Stop the presses.) I only worked across the street for about eight years. Yeah, they had one, too.

Comment

Gotcha now Moon.

While we are not vegetarians, we eat mostly organic, non-processed foods at the household.

We make our own chicken tenders, with free range chicken, corn meal and olive oil. Doesn't really help if you are vegetarian. You can get some packeged non-meat type tenders from your Wild Oats or Whole Foods. Kids (mine) will eat that.

Moon, do you consume dairy?
                            Yeah, we eat fake chicken patties and burgers, so I should have expected that Wild Oats would have something along those lines for kids.

We do eat dairy. I have friends who are vegan - no milk, cheese, whey, or honey! I just...can't...do...that. My feelings toward dairy are best summed up by the following exchange:

Homer : "Hmm, sixty four slices of American cheese...Sixty four...(eats slice) sixty three...(eventually)...two...(chomp)...(struggles) ...one..."(Marge enters)
                            Marge : "Homer, have you been up all night eating cheese ?"
                            Homer : "I think I'm blind !"

Cheese=good.

Moon

Comment

I am not a vegetarian, but I eat a LOT of eggs.

I can't live without egg sandwiches.

My nieces eat a ton of chicken tenders. They like them better than hamburgers even.
                              Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Working...
                              X