Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great Aticle by Whitlock....on Nolan Richardson

Timely, given the play by UAB

I don't understand why this guy doesn't get another shot, either. He'd kick some ass.
    Are you on the list?

Originally posted by SLUBLUE@Mar 25 2004, 12:34 PM
    Timely, given the play by UAB

I don't understand why this guy doesn't get another shot, either. He'd kick some ass.
    Because he's a racist
    Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Because he's a racist
      Wow. I agree, Burn.

The way he left Arkansas is why he hasn't gotten another shot.
      His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
      Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

When Nolan left Arkansas, the program was in decline. He also was being deluged with criticism of a 0% graduation rate for his players. And, he also had this tendency to go on tirades - many of which involved issues of race - that endeared Nolan to no one.

Of all of the problems Nolan had, the one I could probably understand most easily were the tirades on race. Nolan put up with a lot his first few years at Arkansas. He was replacing a legend, and using a style that most Arkansans did not understand and would have charitably described as urban. He put up with lots of stupid, racial slurs from so called fans in his first two years, all while his daughter was dying of leukemeia. Eventually, he won over the state, but he really could not get over the past racial issues he faced. I'm not sure I would have either had I faced what he did.
        June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU+Mar 25 2004, 02:14 PM-->
          QUOTE (BurnKU @ Mar 25 2004, 02:14 PM)

I am pretty sure his wife is hispanic.
          Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
          God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Burn, insight please? Just wondering.

Comment

Originally posted by tigernumbe@Mar 26 2004, 02:31 PM
              Burn, insight please? Just wondering.
              http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/bas...son-broyles.htm
              Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU+Mar 26 2004, 02:33 PM-->
                QUOTE (BurnKU @ Mar 26 2004, 02:33 PM)

Originally posted by tigernumbe+Mar 26 2004, 02:44 PM-->
                QUOTE (tigernumbe @ Mar 26 2004, 02:44 PM)
                Originally posted by [email protected] 26 2004, 02:33 PM

Tiger,

That all may be true, and its horrendous.

But Richardson blamed the firing on race only, failing to recognize his abysmal graduation rate and steady decline of the program. It also doesn't help when you label every critic of you or the program a racist.

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 26 2004, 02:46 PM
                  Tiger,

That all may be true, and its horrendous.

But Richardson blamed the firing on race only, failing to recognize his abysmal graduation rate and steady decline of the program. It also doesn't help when you label every critic of you or the program a racist.
                  Moe,
                  Your points are probably true. Typically most people put blame on something---unfortunately. However, that still doesn't make him a racist. He was the recipient of a lot of racism at Arkansas. He probably took it to far in calling the administration racist but i'm sure he was pushed to the edge. And it's easy for us white guys(the ones that are) to sit back and bash him, but didn't go through what he did.

Comment

I have to admit, I did not know all of the crap he put up with.

It's truly horrifying, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. My only beef with Nolan was the scorched-earth policy he employed when he left -- which is why I think he hasn't gotten another major gig like Arkansas.

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky@Mar 26 2004, 02:59 PM
                      I have to admit, I did not know all of the crap he put up with.

It's truly horrifying, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. My only beef with Nolan was the scorched-earth policy he employed when he left -- which is why I think he hasn't gotten another major gig like Arkansas.
                      I remember seeing an outside the lines segment on what he went through at Arkansas and it was pretty horrifying. That said, I think Nolan thought everyone was against him when it was ONLY the minority of yahoo rednecks in Arkansas. He left on bad terms and he is to blame for most of that.

He didn't handle his departure with much class at all. But some of his anger was probably justified. I'd consider hiring though if I was in that position. He has won a National Championship.

Comment

is racist the same as prejudiced?

Does one maybe fit better than the other?

Now, that certainly does not absolve any asscake fans, from backwoods arkansas, from any "racist" statements, but I doubt many of tehm are trying to get 3mil jobs as Head Basketball coach.
                        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

• Working...
                          X