GDT: Anaheim Mighty Ducks @ Blues - 7 p.m. CST

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Anaheim Mighty Ducks @ Blues - 7 p.m. CST

GAME: Anaheim Mighty Ducks (28-31-10-8) at St. Louis Blues (34-28-11-2).
    TIME: Thursday, 7 p.m. CST.

The Anaheim Mighty Ducks aren't going to make the playoffs this season. They could have a say in who does.

Anaheim will try to play spoiler for the second consecutive game when it continues a four-game trip against the St. Louis Blues.

Eight points out of the final playoff spot with five games remaining means the Mighty Ducks won't get a chance to defend their Western Conference championship. Anaheim, however, made life difficult for one of the contending teams by beating Nashville 4-1 on Tuesday.

Sandis Ozolinsh and Petr Sykora scored second-period goals and Martin Gerber stopped 25 shots for the Mighty Ducks, 3-1-1 in their last five.

"Unfortunately, it's a little too late," Anaheim captain Steve Rucchin said. "We want to play, but it's pretty disappointing. We're happy about the win, but it's tough to go out here knowing we're out of the hunt. We're playing for pride right now."

Anaheim's Sergei Fedorov scored into an empty net Tuesday, giving him six goals and eight points in his last five games. Fedorov reached the 30-goal mark for the fourth straight season and 10th time in his career.

St. Louis, hoping to qualify for the playoffs for the 25th straight season, trails the final spot by one point with seven games remaining. The Blues are battling Nashville, Edmonton and Los Angeles for one of the final two postseason berths in the West.

"Me personally, I could care less about the streak," Blues defenseman Chris Pronger said. "Streaks are made to be broken. I want to make the playoffs for myself and my teammates. I want to make the playoffs to win the Stanley Cup, not to keep a streak going."

The Blues, off since a 3-1 loss at Dallas on Saturday, are 1-2-1 following a six-game unbeaten streak (4-0-2).

With his team scoring one goal or fewer in four of the last six games, more offense from top-line center Doug Weight would be a huge help to St. Louis. Weight has no goals and just six points in his last 15 games.

Chris Osgood, 9-1-2 in his career against Anaheim, has allowed three goals or fewer in 16 straight starts.

STANDINGS: Mighty Ducks - 74 points, 4th place, 20 PB, Pacific Division. Blues - 81 points, 3rd place, 18 PB, Central Division.

TEAM LEADERS: Mighty Ducks - Fedorov, 30 goals and 63 points; Fedorov and Vaclav Prospal, 33 assists; Garrett Burnett, 153 PIM. Blues - Keith Tkachuk, 30 goals and 67 points; Weight, 46 assists; Mike Danton, 141 PIM.

SPECIAL TEAMS (through March 23): Mighty Ducks - Power play: 17.5 percent (52 for 297), 10th in NHL. Penalty killing: 84.4 percent (282 for 334), 14th. Blues - Power play: 17.4 percent (55 for 317), 11th. Penalty killing: 84.5 percent (294 for 348), 10th.

GOALTENDERS: Mighty Ducks - Jean-Sebastien Giguere (16-29-6, 3 SO, 2.65 GAA); Gerber (11-10-4, 2, 2.28). Blues - Osgood (26-24-8, 2, 2.30); Reinhard Divis (4-3-2, 0, 2.84).

SEASON SERIES: 1-1-1.

LAST MEETING: March 17; Tied, 1-1. At Anaheim, Calif., Martin Skoula scored with 4:30 left in regulation and Giguere made five of his 30 saves in overtime for the Ducks.

ROAD/HOME RECORDS: Mighty Ducks - 10-21-3-4 on the road; Blues - 20-10-7-0 at home.

source

OTHER GAMES:

Toronto at Boston 6 p.m.
    N.Y. Islanders at Philadelphia 6 p.m.
    Florida at Carolina 6 p.m.
    New Jersey at Tampa Bay 6 p.m.
    Ottawa at Montreal 6:30 p.m.
    Nashville at N.Y. Rangers 6:30 p.m.
    Detroit at Colorado 7 p.m.
    Minnesota at Chicago 7:30 p.m.
    Calgary at San Jose 9:30 p.m.

Mr. G

Blues must win. (I'll be saying that pretty much til the end of the season)

Comment

"Me personally, I could care less about the streak," Blues defenseman Chris Pronger said. "Streaks are made to be broken. I want to make the playoffs for myself and my teammates. I want to make the playoffs to win the Stanley Cup, not to keep a streak going."

Bingo!

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

Originally posted by steveInebriated@Mar 25 2004, 09:31 AM

Bingo!
        Shhhhhhhhhhhhh............

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I think I'll end up taping the Ottawa-Montreal game and watching it late at night. I'll be at Fox watching the Pitt-Oklahoma State game instead.

Comment

Morning Skate From Derrick Goold:

Folks,

Some quick notes from the morning skates held today at Savvis Center, where the ice is new but the story remains much the same: Can the Blues rise to the level needed to win a series of must-win games -- or will they amble through and put their fate in the hands of others?

- Giguere in goal for Anaheim.

- Osgood in net for the Blues, as he will likely be for all seven of the remaining games.

- Blues power play gets all the focus here. Anaheim gave Nashville -- one of the league's best PP recently -- nine chances on Tuesday. The Preds scored once. Anaheim's coach Mike Babcock said the best kill is discipline -- the Ducks took two penalties in the offensive zone and one at the offensive blue line. Can't have that, he said. So don't expect as many chances for the Blues get their kinks out.

- If they only get two, they've got to score once.

- Especially if it's when they can take a lead, tie the game or create a two-goal lead. That's when it has failed them so often.

- That said: Doug Weight has been told if he's on the point he's got to shoot more. Every team prepares for him to pass and is out there taking out his lanes and squeezing off his choices. If he shoots twice, three times ... suddenly he's a threat to do both and the lanes will be open again.

- Don't be surprised if Christian Backman gets out there for some shifts with the first power-play unit. Kitchen was talking with him about shots from the point during the skate this morning.

- Rheaume is a game-time decision.

- Otherwise, the lines will look the same as last weekend in Dallas:

Tkachuk-Cajanek-Demitra
            Savage-Weight-Mayers
            Drake-Sillinger-Mellanby
            Danton-Johnson-Low

- Do the Blues have any award candidates at all? Just wondering.

- Anaheim is finally playing the way it expected to all season. Much of it has to do with the return of Ozolinsh -- the forward in a defenseman's body. He's a creator and a mismatch for so many teams. You think a few of the Blues recent opponents have had 4-on-2 against the Blues? Well, Ozolinsh is a human 4-on-2 -- in either direction! Blues have to watch his roving ... even capitalize on it.

More if I think of something.

Off to grab some lunch,

Derrick
            -30-

Mr. G

Comment

what does GTD stand for?
              Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubs4ever@Mar 25 2004, 02:33 PM
                what does GTD stand for?
                GDT stands for Game Day Thread. No idea what GTD stands for.
                If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by Cubs4ever@Mar 25 2004, 02:33 PM
                  what does GTD stand for?
                  Its GDT: Game Day Thread

Comment

GDT = Game Day Thread
                    Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Goalie@Mar 25 2004, 02:33 PM
                      - Especially if it's when they can take a lead, tie the game or create a two-goal lead. That's when it has failed them so often.
                      Um, isn't that most of the time?

Comment

Originally posted by CSD@Mar 25 2004, 02:34 PM
                        GDT = Game Day Thread
                        thanks, it was bothering me
                        Lounge sponsor of Gary Brackett, Reggie Wayne, Henrik Zetterberg (not lounge approved) and all country music.

Comment

I thought GTD was short for Gotta Take a Dump

Comment

Originally posted by Bluenotebacker@Mar 25 2004, 02:36 PM
                            I thought GTD was short for Gotta Take a Dump
                            Sometimes, when the Blues game are on, I'd rather be doing that....

But that's too much g'damn information....

Comment

Originally posted by 007+Mar 25 2004, 02:38 PM-->
                              QUOTE (007 @ Mar 25 2004, 02:38 PM)
                              Working...
                              X