X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Life Be Worth Living In 2,000AD?

Will Life Be Worth Living In 2,000AD?

July 22, 1961, Weekend Magazine

What sort of life will you be living 39 years from now? Scientists have looked into the future and they can tell you.

It looks as if everything will be so easy that people will probably die from sheer boredom.

You will be whisked around in monorail vehicles at 200 miles an hour and you will think nothing of taking a fortnight's holiday in outer space.

Your house will probably have air walls, and a floating roof, adjustable to the angle of the sun.

oors will open automatically, and clothing will be put away by remote control. The heating and cooling systems will be built into the furniture and rugs.

You'll have a home control room - an electronics centre, where messages will be recorded when you're away from home. This will play back when you return, and also give you up-to-the minute world news, and transcribe your latest mail.

You'll have wall-to-wall global TV, an indoor swimming pool, TV-telephones and room-to-room TV. Press a button and you can change the décor of a room.

The status symbol of the year 2000 will be the home computer help, which will help mother tend the children, cook the meals and issue reminders of appointments.

Cooking will be in solar ovens with microwave controls. Garbage will be refrigerated, and pressed into fertiliser pellets.

Food won't be very different from 1961, but there will be a few new dishes - instant bread, sugar made from sawdust, foodless foods (minus nutritional properties), juice powders and synthetic tea and cocoa. Energy will come in tablet form.

At work, Dad will operate on a 24 hour week. The office will be air-conditioned with stimulating scents and extra oxygen - to give a physical and psychological lift.

Mail and newspapers will be reproduced instantly anywhere in the world by facsimile.

There will be machines doing the work of clerks, shorthand writers and translators. Machines will "talk" to each other.

It will be the age of press-button transportation. Rocket belts will increase a man's stride to 30 feet, and bus-type helicopters will travel along crowded air skyways. There will be moving plastic-covered pavements, individual hoppicopters, and 200 m.p.h. monorail trains operating in all large cities.

The family car will be soundless, vibrationless and self-propelled thermostatically. The engine will be smaller than a typewriter. Cars will travel overland on an 18 inch air cushion.

Railways will have one central dispatcher, who will control a whole nation's traffic. Jet trains will be guided by electronic brains.

n commercial transportation, there will be travel at 1000 m.p.h. at a penny a mile. Hypersonic passenger planes, using solid fuels, will reach any part of the world in an hour.

By the year 2020, five per cent of the world's population will have emigrated into space. Many will have visited the moon and beyond.

Our children will learn from TV, recorders and teaching machines. They will get pills to make them learn faster. We shall be healthier, too. There will be no common colds, cancer, tooth decay or mental illness.

Medically induced growth of amputated limbs will be possible. Rejuvenation will be in the middle stages of research, and people will live, healthily, to 85 or 100.

There's a lot more besides to make H.G. Wells and George Orwell sound like they're getting left behind.

And this isn't science fiction. It's science fact - futuristic ideas, conceived by imaginative young men, whose crazy-sounding schemes have got the nod from the scientists.

It's the way they think the world will live in the next century - if there's any world left!
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    Brett Hull & St. Patricks Day

Man we've been slacking...almost none of that shit has happened yet...nor will it happen in my lifetime, probably...
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
    OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Ever read 1984? They NEVER get this stuff right.

Comment

Originally posted by DaLode@Mar 24 2004, 09:11 PM
        Ever read 1984? They NEVER get this stuff right.
        Not true.

Just ask Barry Bonds:

Energy will come in tablet form.
        "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

Originally posted by phantom+Mar 24 2004, 08:16 PM-->
          QUOTE (phantom @ Mar 24 2004, 08:16 PM)

I got all that - you guys don't?
          Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
          God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

As long as there are women like the ones in his sig line life will be well worth it.
            Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Some of that stuff was pretty silly, but they got some of it right.

You will be whisked around in monorail vehicles at 200 miles an hour
              We do have bullet trains.

You'll have a home control room - an electronics centre, where messages will be recorded when you're away from home. This will play back when you return, and also give you up-to-the minute world news, and transcribe your latest mail.
              This is the closest I've ever seen any of those speculative essays come to predicting e-mail and the Internet.

You'll have wall-to-wall global TV, an indoor swimming pool, TV-telephones and room-to-room TV.
              We have all that, although I'm not sure what "room-to-room" TV is supposed to mean. They had closed-circuit monitors in 1961.

The status symbol of the year 2000 will be the home computer help, which will help mother tend the children, cook the meals and issue reminders of appointments.
              They guessed correctly about the rise of the home computer. Heck, the circuitry in microwaves probably has more computing power than the computers of 1961 did, so that predictions isn't all that far off either.

Cooking will be in solar ovens with microwave controls.
              Bingo.

Food won't be very different from 1961, but there will be a few new dishes...juice powders and synthetic tea and cocoa. Energy will come in tablet form.
              Right again, although they had amphetamine pills in 1961 so, again, no telling what "energy will come in tablet form" means. I guess you could say all those caloric supplements bodybuilders take are energy in tablet form.

Mail and newspapers will be reproduced instantly anywhere in the world by facsimile.
              Yup.

There will be moving plastic-covered pavements
              Got 'em in airports.

In commercial transportation, there will be travel at 1000 m.p.h. at a penny a mile.
              How fast did the Concorde go?

Our children will learn from TV, recorders and teaching machines. They will get pills to make them learn faster.
              Right on the first part. Does Ritalin count as a pill to make kids learn faster?

I have to say, I've seen other predictions that were farther off than that one.

Comment

Not monorail ones, though.

This is the closest I've ever seen any of those speculative essays come to predicting e-mail and the Internet.
                Not even close. It's closer to a media room. If the internet required whole rooms to use, it'd be useless.

You'll have wall-to-wall global TV, an indoor swimming pool, TV-telephones and room-to-room TV.

We have all that, although I'm not sure what "room-to-room" TV is supposed to mean. They had closed-circuit monitors in 1961.
                Very few indoor swimming pools. And we don't have TV telephones, mostly because nobody really wants them. We have webcams, though.

They guessed correctly about the rise of the home computer. Heck, the circuitry in microwaves probably has more computing power than the computers of 1961 did, so that predictions isn't all that far off either.

No they didn't. They're talking about some kind of robot servant here. We're nowhere near that.

Cooking will be in solar ovens with microwave controls.

Bingo.
                Uh, Bingo? Who the hell has a solar oven? And what is a "microwave control"?

Food won't be very different from 1961, but there will be a few new dishes...juice powders and synthetic tea and cocoa. Energy will come in tablet form.

Right again, although they had amphetamine pills in 1961 so, again, no telling what "energy will come in tablet form" means. I guess you could say all those caloric supplements bodybuilders take are energy in tablet form.
                They had all that crap in 1961. Food has changed substantially in that we have such an overabundance of it that we're getting obese. That's the biggest difference from 1961.

Yup.
                Nope. Nobody gets newspapers by fax.

There will be moving plastic-covered pavements

Got 'em in airports.

Slidewalks are usually metal. And this is certainly not the moving sidewalks they seem to be talking about.

In commercial transportation, there will be travel at 1000 m.p.h. at a penny a mile.

How fast did the Concorde go?
                Did it do it at a penny a mile? Could I have flown the Atlantic for $25?

Our children will learn from TV, recorders and teaching machines. They will get pills to make them learn faster.

Right on the first part. Does Ritalin count as a pill to make kids learn faster?
                No they don't. They're babysat by talking idiot boxes, maybe, but "teaching machines"? Come on!

Comment

OK. I was just making an idle observation, and frankly didn't expect anybody to argue it, and certainly didn't expect anybody to take an adversarial tone.

OK, so our 200mph trains still use TWO rails. You got me there. Or, really, you don't, since I think the speed of the train is the real point.

Not even close. It's closer to a media room. If the internet required whole rooms to use, it'd be useless.
                  Hm. So they whiffed on the SIZE of the device that would relay news to you 24/7 and send your mail back and forth. Again, I think they get partial credit, which was all I was saying in the first place.

Very few indoor swimming pools.
                  So the fact that there aren't very many means the prediction was wrong?

And we don't have TV telephones, mostly because nobody really wants them. We have webcams, though.
                  We have webcams, yes we do. And cell phones that send pictures. And all kinds of video conferencing, which essentially is a TV telephone, just a bulkier one (with a mike on the table, perhaps, and a TV monitor for the image). Again, I think they get partial credit, which was all I was saying in the first place.

They're talking about some kind of robot servant here.
                  Think so? Then why didn't they just use the word "robot"? The phrase "home computer" certainly carries a different connotation than "robot" today, and while I don't know precisely what they're getting at, frankly it doesn't sound to me like a mobile machine, or robot.

[QUOTE]Uh, Bingo? Who the hell has a solar oven? And what is a "microwave control"?[QUOTE]

Sounds rather reminiscent of a microwave oven, since microwaves are nothing more than a different wavelength of electromagnetic radiation than visible light. Yet AGAIN, I have to point out that I was not saying they nailed everything. My humblest apologies for the indiscriminate use of the word "bingo".

So the fact that we get our newspapers today by the Internet, over precisely the same form of wire communication as fax machines, but we read the paper on computer monitors instead of printing out paper copies, means they were 100% wrong? Okey dokey.

Slidewalks are usually metal. And this is certainly not the moving sidewalks they seem to be talking about.
                  They predicted a moving sidewalk. I pointed out that we have moving sidewalks, in a different place than what the writers predicted. As with the monorail and every other item you've chosen to take me to task on, I thought it was understood from the beginning that they weren't 100% accurate in their predictions, and I never pretended that they were.

Did it do it at a penny a mile?
                  Did I say anything about price? Does the fact they were wrong about how cheap it was mean they don't get credit for accurately predicting supersonic passenger jet travel?

No they don't. They're babysat by talking idiot boxes, maybe, but "teaching machines"? Come on!
                  Okey dokey. So you are stating that television monitors, video recording/playback devices, and computers with video monitors (being, you know, another form of machine that can play back a moving video picture), are never used for educational purposes. And I assume you are denying the existence of all children's educational programs as well. I could have sworn "The Electric Company" taught me to read...

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by kah2523@Mar 25 2004, 01:50 AM
                    OK. I was just making an idle observation, and frankly didn't expect anybody to argue it, and certainly didn't expect anybody to take an adversarial tone.

OK, so our 200mph trains still use TWO rails. You got me there. Or, really, you don't, since I think the speed of the train is the real point.

Hm. So they whiffed on the SIZE of the device that would relay news to you 24/7 and send your mail back and forth. Again, I think they get partial credit, which was all I was saying in the first place.

Very few indoor swimming pools.
                    So the fact that there aren't very many means the prediction was wrong?

And we don't have TV telephones, mostly because nobody really wants them. We have webcams, though.
                    We have webcams, yes we do. And cell phones that send pictures. And all kinds of video conferencing, which essentially is a TV telephone, just a bulkier one (with a mike on the table, perhaps, and a TV monitor for the image). Again, I think they get partial credit, which was all I was saying in the first place.

They're talking about some kind of robot servant here.
                    Think so? Then why didn't they just use the word "robot"? The phrase "home computer" certainly carries a different connotation than "robot" today, and while I don't know precisely what they're getting at, frankly it doesn't sound to me like a mobile machine, or robot.

[QUOTE]Uh, Bingo? Who the hell has a solar oven? And what is a "microwave control"?

Sounds rather reminiscent of a microwave oven, since microwaves are nothing more than a different wavelength of electromagnetic radiation than visible light. Yet AGAIN, I have to point out that I was not saying they nailed everything. My humblest apologies for the indiscriminate use of the word "bingo".

So the fact that we get our newspapers today by the Internet, over precisely the same form of wire communication as fax machines, but we read the paper on computer monitors instead of printing out paper copies, means they were 100% wrong? Okey dokey.

They predicted a moving sidewalk. I pointed out that we have moving sidewalks, in a different place than what the writers predicted. As with the monorail and every other item you've chosen to take me to task on, I thought it was understood from the beginning that they weren't 100% accurate in their predictions, and I never pretended that they were.

Did it do it at a penny a mile?
                    Did I say anything about price? Does the fact they were wrong about how cheap it was mean they don't get credit for accurately predicting supersonic passenger jet travel?

Okey dokey. So you are stating that television monitors, video recording/playback devices, and computers with video monitors (being, you know, another form of machine that can play back a moving video picture), are never used for educational purposes. And I assume you are denying the existence of all children's educational programs as well. I could have sworn "The Electric Company" taught me to read...
                    Man, try decaffeinated. Not everything is adversarial, and I certinaly didn't launch an attack on you. I was just pointing out that these predictions are as crazy as every other set of similar predictions made forty years ago.

Comment

when did the jetsons come out? because if it wasn't out, then this guy was in on the creation of the show, as he/she pretty much described the entire cartoon.
                      Official 2009 Sponsor of nobody

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks@Mar 24 2004, 11:07 PM
                        As long as there are women like the ones in his sig line life will be well worth it.
                        No shit. BB, who IS that in your sig?

Comment

I'm looking forward to the sugar made from sawdust.

Comment

Originally posted by Airshark@Mar 25 2004, 12:51 AM

Oh yeah? What about Springfield?

Official Lounge Sponsor of Lou Brock (really) and Ryan Franklin (really)*

* Payment processing. It will be official soon.

Comment

• Working...
                              X