Nascar, hockey and republicans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nascar, hockey and republicans

What percentage of Nascar fans do you think are republican? probably more than democrats. hockey fans? Motorcycle owners? I can't stand Nascar crap, hockey and don't get me started about motorcycles. I am trying to figure out if there is a political element to this. I don't know a lot of black guys who like Nascar, hockey, vote republican and ride Motorbikes. I'm sure there is a black republican somewhere who rides his Harley to Nascar events and has season tickets to his favorite hockey team.
    v

Originally posted by kjoe@Feb 22 2004, 02:35 AM
    What percentage of Nascar fans do you think are republican? probably more than democrats. hockey fans? Motorcycle owners? I can't stand Nascar crap, hockey and don't get me started about motorcycles. I am trying to figure out if there is a political element to this. I don't know a lot of black guys who like Nascar, hockey, vote republican and ride Motorbikes. I'm sure there is a black republican somewhere who rides his Harley to Nascar events and has season tickets to his favorite hockey team.
    LOL.

I was recently told a story about Sen. Richard Shelby (a US Senator from Alabama who switched parties from D to R in mid '90s).

In his last race as a Democrat in Alabama, he got 95% of the black vote. Six years later, in his first race after switching parties, he got 5% of the black vote.

Now, if true, that is amazing!

Comment

Originally posted by King in KC+Feb 22 2004, 09:39 AM-->
      QUOTE(King in KC @ Feb 22 2004, 09:39 AM)

Originally posted by kjoe@Feb 22 2004, 02:35 AM
      I'm sure there is a black republican somewhere who rides his Harley to Nascar events and has season tickets to his favorite hockey team.
      I doubt there are many people, regardless of political affiliation, that ride their Harley to Nascar events and have season hockey tickets.
      Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by King in KC+Feb 22 2004, 09:39 AM-->
        QUOTE(King in KC @ Feb 22 2004, 09:39 AM)

Originally posted by kjoe@Feb 22 2004, 01:19 PM

Is it amazing that he could gain enough white votes to offset the loss of the black votes, just by saying I am now a republican?
        I would have to see the numbers. If the total black vote in Alabama makes up a small enough percentage, it wouldn't matter whether he got 5% or 95%.

I think on the national level, the percentages are about the same for the Democratic presidential candidate.

Which is the whole point: monolithic voting tendencies.

Comment

>>Now, if true, that is amazing!<<

I'm certain that it's true.

Slick Willie was quoted on his Arkansas political strategies.

"18 percent of folks in Arkansas are black. If I can hold onto them (meaning 90% plus), my opponent needs to get his 51% (to win) from the remaining 82% of all voters. I figure I've got a good shot."

No kidding.
          And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Working...
          X