Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outsourcing

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,...topstories_html

A desire for cheap labor is not the primary reason technology companies are turning to offshore workers, according to a new report by the American Electronics Association, the United States' largest high-tech trade association.
    Math? Science? pft - boring topics. Who cares about these. Lets learn about multi-culture and diversity. These are more important right now.

Captain Solo,

Who are those guys standing in the schoolhouse door blocking inner-city kids from a decent education?
    And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

Let's throw some more money at the problem. The current investment in government provided education is paying off great. Good thing Glen isn't here, he'd really be pissed now.
      Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Mar 24 2004, 03:42 PM
        Let's throw some more money at the problem. The current investment in government provided education is paying off great. Good thing Glen isn't here, he'd really be pissed now.
        Yep.. Everything is the teachers' fault...

Parents bear no responsibility...

"
        Why are the Russians suddenly a problem?" -Bgats

Comment

Originally posted by mellanby_equals_grit+Mar 24 2004, 03:54 PM-->
          QUOTE (mellanby_equals_grit @ Mar 24 2004, 03:54 PM)

Originally posted by BurnKU+Mar 24 2004, 03:57 PM-->
          QUOTE (BurnKU @ Mar 24 2004, 03:57 PM)
          Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2004, 03:54 PM

Good people in bad systems get bad results.

Politicos who would rather harvest campaign cash from teacher's unions than hold teachers accountable are whores - at best.
          And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

Comment

Originally posted by mellanby_equals_grit+Mar 24 2004, 04:00 PM-->
            QUOTE (mellanby_equals_grit @ Mar 24 2004, 04:00 PM)
            Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2004, 03:57 PM
            Originally posted by [email protected] 24 2004, 03:54 PM

Politicos who would rather harvest campaign cash from teacher's unions than hold teachers accountable are whores - at best.
            This whole "hold teachers accountable" thing is just a vote-getting ploy. It's BS really. I've never had a teacher that impeded me from learning material. I've had some bad teachers, but my parents didn't let me use that as an excuse to not learn something. They give you a textbook for a reason. To say it's the teachers fault you didn't learn something is a complete cop-out.

"

Comment

Uh oh.. Glen's browsing the thread!

"

Comment

most of the problem is the parents fault.

the next problem is the elementary teachers fault.

If they can't read by the time they get to me, that isn't my fault unless I'm an ESL teacher, and I'm not an ESL teacher.
                First Fan of the Halifax IceBreakers!

Comment

Mellanby,

That's just bullshit.

The system produces horrible results and the folks in it are not getting the job done.

Teachers will be held accountable - de facto - by allowing parents to choose the school to which they send their children.

Comment

A bad teacher will certainly make a difference as to how well you learn and understand something. A few bad teachers along the way, however, should not prevent a student from getting a good education. I'll agree that the parents need to get more involved.

A bad school environment, OTOH, can fuck a kid's world up.

Comment

From what I've encountered by knowing and being related to teachers.. Most kids that have problems learning.. The student naturally blames the teacher.. The parent follows suit and joins 'em...

Then a politician comes along and says "let's hold those evil nasty teachers accountable for not implementing knowledge right into our childs' brains and expecting our wonderful little angels to actually.. *gasp* pick up a book" and said parents vote is won.

I wasn't alive 50 years ago but I'm quite sure it wasn't like this then.

"

Comment

Originally posted by mellanby_equals_grit@Mar 24 2004, 04:05 PM
                        This whole "hold teachers accountable" thing is just a vote-getting ploy. It's BS really. I've never had a teacher that impeded me from learning material. I've had some bad teachers, but my parents didn't let me use that as an excuse to not learn something. They give you a textbook for a reason. To say it's the teachers fault you didn't learn something is a complete cop-out.
                        Yes, it is. However there are some alarming stats I've been reading about. This is why I think government needs to get out of the education business. The government doesn't hold anybody accountable. Teachers don't get all of the blame, but they should certainly get some of it.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article....RTICLE_ID=34727

According to a report commissioned by the National Commission on Teaching and America's Future:

Fewer than one-half of the nation's 1,200 teachers colleges meet professional standards of accreditation.

In recent years, more than 50,000 teachers who lack training for their jobs have entered teaching annually on emergency or substandard certification.

More than 40 states allow school districts to hire teachers who have not met basic education requirements, and more than 12 percent of new teachers nationwide begin with no training at all.

When Pennsylvania evaluated its teacher testing, it discovered that teachers could qualify for positions in hard-to-fill subject areas just by signing their names.

In Hawaii, one-half of new hires failed either to complete or pass certification exams.

In Long Island, N.Y., a superintendent who decided to give teaching applicants an English test normally given to 11th-graders discovered that only one in four could pass.

Among the 21 states using the Praxis I math test to screen teachers, most set cutoff scores so low that applicants could miss 40 percent of questions and still pass.
                        Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

• Working...
                          X