Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarke Praises Bush Team in '02

Clarke Praises Bush Team in '02

JIM ANGLE: You're saying that the Bush administration did not stop anything that the Clinton administration was doing while it was making these decisions, and by the end of the summer had increased money for covert action five-fold. Is that correct?

CLARKE: All of that's correct.

Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

good article lazy.

Comment

He's become his own source!
      Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

Nick - what about WMD?
        And, frankly, it has never occured to me that "winning" a debate is important, or that I should be hurt when someone like Airshark or kah, among others (for whom winning a pseudo debate or declaring intellectual superiority over invisible others is obviously very important) ridicule me.

-The Artist formerly known as King in KC

Comment

And your question is ... ... ...
          Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

That IS a great article, lazy.

So, what you're saying is that there was another side to the story? huh? That's amazing! A story with more than 1 side!

Also, I don't quite get the meaning of this:

ANGLE: Now the five-fold increase for the money in covert operations against Al Qaeda — did that actually go into effect when it was decided or was that a decision that happened in the next budget year or something?

CLARKE: Well, it was gonna go into effect in October, which was the next budget year, so it was a month away.

QUESTION: That actually got into the intelligence budget?

CLARKE: Yes it did.

QUESTION: Just to clarify, did that come up in April or later?

CLARKE: No, it came up in April and it was approved in principle and then went through the summer. And you know, the other thing to bear in mind is the shift from the rollback strategy to the elimination strategy. When President Bush told us in March to stop swatting at flies and just solve this problem, then that was the strategic direction that changed the NSPD from one of rollback to one of elimination.
            rollback vs. elimination of what? I'm not SURE I get it.
            "Need some wood?" -- George W. Bush, October 8, 2004

"Historians will judge if this war is just, not your punk ass." -- Dave Glover, December 8, 2004

Comment

Originally posted by phantom@Mar 24 2004, 12:19 PM
              That IS a great article, lazy.

So, what you're saying is that there was another side to the story? huh? That's amazing! A story with more than 1 side!

Also, I don't quite get the meaning of this:

ANGLE: Now the five-fold increase for the money in covert operations against Al Qaeda — did that actually go into effect when it was decided or was that a decision that happened in the next budget year or something?

CLARKE: Well, it was gonna go into effect in October, which was the next budget year, so it was a month away.

QUESTION: That actually got into the intelligence budget?

CLARKE: Yes it did.

QUESTION: Just to clarify, did that come up in April or later?

CLARKE: No, it came up in April and it was approved in principle and then went through the summer. And you know, the other thing to bear in mind is the shift from the rollback strategy to the elimination strategy. When President Bush told us in March to stop swatting at flies and just solve this problem, then that was the strategic direction that changed the NSPD from one of rollback to one of elimination.
              rollback vs. elimination of what? I'm not SURE I get it.
              rollback of Al-Qaeda was the pre-existing counter terrorism plan.

Bush asked for a new elimination strategy

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze+Mar 24 2004, 01:21 PM-->
                QUOTE (lazydaze @ Mar 24 2004, 01:21 PM)

Rollback: I heard Clarke talking about it today.

It is the same concept as air defense in Iraq.

Bomb it, when they build it up, bomb it again.

Its a band aid.

Comment

clarke is somewhat getting his ass handed to him now about the vast diffrence inbook publicity claims and previous testimony.

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 24 2004, 02:05 PM
                    clarke is somewhat getting his ass handed to him now about the vast diffrence inbook publicity claims and previous testimony.
                    Really?

"You urge policymakers to imagine a day after hundreds of Americans lay dead at home and abroad after a terrorist attack and ask themselves what else they could have done. You write this on Sept. 4, seven days before Sept. 11."
                    Sounds like he had a good handle on things.

phantom, rollback I believe refers to the policy of engaging the Northern Alliance (pre-9/11) thus strengthening them, meaning al Qaeda would have to deal with that issue instead of worrying about say the U.S.S. Cole.
                    Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

dvy, no offense but are you watching the testimony....

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 24 2004, 02:10 PM
                        Hilarious. Now will people just admit that Clarke has a SERIOUS credibility problem? Will the media ever point this out? This is great.

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze@Mar 24 2004, 02:10 PM
                          No, I hope to read the transcripts tonight. Getting the wire updates as they come through.

I'll probably watch Brokaw.
                          Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dooz+Mar 24 2004, 02:12 PM-->
                            QUOTE (dooz @ Mar 24 2004, 02:12 PM)
                            Working...
                            X