Clint Malarchuk 15 Years Ago 3/22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clint Malarchuk 15 Years Ago 3/22

Malarchuk is best remembered for one of the most horrific injuries in all of hockey history. Tragedy struck on March 22, 1989 when his jugular vein was cut by a skate. A goal mouth collision involving St. Louis Blues winger Steve Tuttle and Buffalo defenseman Uwe Krupp saw Tuttle's skate slice Malarchuk's neck. Malarchuk clutched at his bloody neck as doctors were rushed on to the ice to save his life. As it turned out he spent only one night in the hospital and competed in the NHL only a couple of weeks later. But it could have been so much worse - perhaps even fatal.

THIS PICTURE IS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART!!! If you don't like blood and lots of it, DO NOT click the link!

http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=1231

Mr. G

Oh, geez, do I remember that...I think that incident ruined Tuttle's career (obviously didn't help Malarchuk either)...If I remember it was a clean hit by Krupp, and Tuttle's skates just came out from under him...

the Dog

Dat's right!

Official Lounge Dog
    Official Lounge sponsor of Bryce Salvador
    Official Lounge sponsor of Cardinalgirl

Comment

I remember hearing about it, but I was not even close to a hockey fan then. I was just a kid in high school.
      Sponsor of:
      Brian Elliott
      Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
      5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Luckily Clint was on the end of the ice where the paramedics were stationed otherwise he would have bled to death.

Comment

I remember it well. The guy was very very lucky to live. Out of curiosity, where and why did you come up with that, out of the clear blue?
          RIP Stan the Man
          The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
          I miss TLR!

Comment

I was only 2 years old at the time, so I didn't really watch much t.v back then. I've certainly heard about the incident, but that's the first time I've seen a photo of it. Wow. He's one lucky guy.

Comment

Its hard to believe that its been 15 years since that happened....

Scary stuff...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
              Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
              -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I remember that well.

The sheer panic that set in, for Malarchuck and
                the trainers/doctors.

Very scary.

Comment

I remember watching that. Those paramedics or trainers (whoever it was) saved his life. I remember there was a patch of blood on the ice a foot in diameter. And whoever said if the accident would have happened at the other end of the ice, he might have died is correct. They said that at the time too.
                  Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

jhuegy said:

Out of curiosity, where and why did you come up with that, out of the clear blue?
                    I happened to see it mentioned on a "this day in hockey" section of some newspaper I was reading. The event took place 15 years ago last Monday, March 22nd.

Mr. G

Comment

Working...
                    X