Bob Ryan: How Many "Second Chances"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bob Ryan: How Many "Second Chances"

(Bob)Ryan, a Boston Globe columnist and a regular on ESPN's The Sports Reporters, drew attention when he tried to be funny on the Tony Kornheiser Show on ESPN Radio on Thursday by saying Vanderbilt had "too many white guys" to beat Western Michigan. The Commodores, who start three black players, defeated Western Michigan on Friday and rallied to stun North Carolina State on Sunday.

"I was making an obvious joke," Ryan said Sunday before covering the Boston College-Georgia Tech game in Milwaukee. "I am truly sorry if anyone took offense. It's been endemic in basketball for decades that white players are trying to make it in what has been perceived as a black man's game."

Ryan had little room for the benefit of the doubt. He was suspended for a month last year by The Globe after telling a Boston TV station that someone should "smack" Joumana Kidd, wife of the New Jersey Nets' Jason Kidd, as Ryan felt she used her son, T.J., as a prop to get on camera.

Asked why he made the Vanderbilt remark given the Kidd incident, Ryan said, "I was so secure in the belief that what I was saying was 100% harmless in the context of the basketball culture that I would have said the same thing on (National Public Radio) as on the Tony Kornheiser Show."

Said Globe sports editor Don Skwar: "I think Bob was attempting humor there, and sometimes humor can be misinterpreted. If there was any misinterpretation, we apologize."

ESPN vice president Mike Soltys said: "It was inappropriate. We've talked to Bob about his comments."

ESPN will not discipline Ryan, and The Globe's Skwar said, "He's at the (Boston College) game today."

No discipline from ESPN?

The irony is just too, too thick.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Just another "goof ball's" opinion.
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 23 2004, 07:26 PM
      (Bob)Ryan, a Boston Globe columnist and a regular on ESPN's The Sports Reporters, drew attention when he tried to be funny on the Tony Kornheiser Show on ESPN Radio on Thursday by saying Vanderbilt had "too many white guys" to beat Western Michigan. The Commodores, who start three black players, defeated Western Michigan on Friday and rallied to stun North Carolina State on Sunday.

"I was making an obvious joke," Ryan said Sunday before covering the Boston College-Georgia Tech game in Milwaukee. "I am truly sorry if anyone took offense. It's been endemic in basketball for decades that white players are trying to make it in what has been perceived as a black man's game."

Ryan had little room for the benefit of the doubt. He was suspended for a month last year by The Globe after telling a Boston TV station that someone should "smack" Joumana Kidd, wife of the New Jersey Nets' Jason Kidd, as Ryan felt she used her son, T.J., as a prop to get on camera.

Asked why he made the Vanderbilt remark given the Kidd incident, Ryan said, "I was so secure in the belief that what I was saying was 100% harmless in the context of the basketball culture that I would have said the same thing on (National Public Radio) as on the Tony Kornheiser Show."

Said Globe sports editor Don Skwar: "I think Bob was attempting humor there, and sometimes humor can be misinterpreted. If there was any misinterpretation, we apologize."

ESPN vice president Mike Soltys said: "It was inappropriate. We've talked to Bob about his comments."

ESPN will not discipline Ryan, and The Globe's Skwar said, "He's at the (Boston College) game today."

No discipline from ESPN?

The irony is just too, too thick.
      The comments were definitely stupid, but did you hear the interview?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

fill us in 007............I always liked Bob Ryan. He is the only fill-in on PTI who can adequately replace Kornheiser. He's always funny on Sports Reporters too, but he tries to be too cool for his own good sometimes.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishbone@Mar 23 2004, 07:45 PM
          fill us in 007............I always liked Bob Ryan. He is the only fill-in on PTI who can adequately replace Kornheiser. He's always funny on Sports Reporters too, but he tries to be too cool for his own good sometimes.
          When he and Tony were talking on the radio, you could obviously tell he was joking (lame one, of course)....

Its unfortunate that sometimes the written version of events lacking context get presented in a different manner....

But again: it was stupid to say....

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Joking or not, can you imagine the reverse?

Cincinnati has no discipline becasue they don't have enough white kids.

Imagine.

That, regardless of context, is a double standard.
            When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

WS,
              do you know that Bob Ryan is white?

Comment

Of course.

Comment

Pardon my lack of understanding, but what double standard are you trying to expose? A white guy made a joke about white guys. Are you saing if Michael Wilbon said the same thing about Cinncinatti that it would go unnoticed?

Comment

Imagine if Bob Ryan or anyone else said that Cincinnati couldn't beat IL because they didn't have enough white kids, or they didn't have a white point guard.

He'd be fired.

However, its perfectly fine to say that a team cannot win because they have TOO MANY white kids.

Comment

Working...
                    X