Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. Louis Regional to feature Black Head Coaches

Did my own eyeball research.

This weekend’s NCAA regional in St. Louis will feature 3 Black head coaches. They are the only 3 Black head coaches left in the tournament that began with 14 of the 64 head coaches being Black. 7 of the 14 Black head coaches were in St. Louis region with the Atlanta, and Phoenix regions having 3 each and the East Rutherford having 1. This represents the first time that there have been 3 Black head coaches in one region of a sweet 16 but does not represent the most Black coaches ever in the sweet 16. In 2001 there were a record 5 Black head coaches in the sweet 16, 4 meet in head to hand battles in the round of 16.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

color and race are over-rated. Should never matter what a persons skin color is.
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy@Mar 23 2004, 09:42 AM
      color and race are over-rated. Should never matter what a persons skin color is.
      Agreed.

This is so lame.

Why bring this up?

They bitch cause there isnt enough of them.

then they hoot and holler when they advance. ITs old.

We are past the point of it already.
      Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy@Mar 23 2004, 09:42 AM
        know what isn't overrated? guppy's avatar.
        Are you on the list?

Comment

Schwa - I enjoy reading your posts, but please don't take this the wrong way.

Who cares? They are basketball coaches. Doesn't matter to me what color they are.

I am being totally serious here. Is this really a big deal anymore? I realize it may be some kind of milestone, but I bet if you asked the coaches themselves if this was significant, they would say no.
          Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

So some people want to see black coaches do well the the NCAA tournament, but not black quarterbacks in the NFL? This is the kind of stuff Rush was talking about.

There are 16 coaches in the sweet 16, all of them are apparently pretty good. Other than their W-L record, I don't care about much else.
            Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Schwa,

IMO, there was once a time (20 years ago) that this would have been big news to me. Now, it's really no big deal.

B.T.W. I rooting for a white man to win it all. Go Rick Barnes!!!!
              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

I posted this because it is no longer news -

There was a time when it would have been big news and I am very happy that is not anymore. No axe to grind just stating a fact that we have made progress. When the fact that 3 of 4 head coaches in a regional are Black and no one even mentions it - that's news - good news. If I had not brought it up - it may have went un noticed that is is not news.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala@Mar 23 2004, 11:14 AM
                  I posted this because it is no longer news -

There was a time when it would have been big news and I am very happy that is not anymore. No axe to grind just stating a fact that we have made progress. When the fact that 3 of 4 head coaches in a regional are Black and no one even mentions it - that's news - good news. If I had not brought it up - it may have went un noticed that is is not news.
                  Except someone did mention it.
                  Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Well Burn true -

Sometimes - you hit the mark and sometimes you miss - and probably should have just left well enough alone.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala@Mar 23 2004, 11:33 AM
                      Well Burn true -

Sometimes - you hit the mark and sometimes you miss - and probably should have just left well enough alone.
                      I'm not criticizing you, or at least not tyring to make it personal, but I think it was things like what you posted that Rush was talking about. Would you agree with that?

Comment

I have to think about it - since I know I hate Rush I coulnd't have possibly posted anything nice about him - Rush does deliver in my opinion skewed facts.

I did not try to skew the facts but list them. However by the reaction to the post I must assume that the listing itself was skewed toward a negative reaction as in Blacks not receiving fair and equal treatment in some way. If that is the case then yes I am guilty - could have done it better.

I don't think you are trying to make it personal - but pointing out a point.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I think everyone made excellent points in this thread. I think it's a good thing that people are concentrating more on the men and less on the skin. In todays culture the only color that really matters is green.
                          "They misunderestimated me."
                          Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."
                          -Hilton Head, S.C., Feb. 16, 2000

Gives you the warm fuzzies, doesn't it?

Comment

I remember reading somewhere that if there was peace everywhere do you think people would have holidays to celebrate when peace first arrived. The answer was no, and they shouldn't, they should be out enjoying what they have everyday and that those who had fought hard to give them peace would prefer that.

That is sort of like this thread. I don't know when we went from the John Thompson Hoya's me vs. the world teams to Tubby coaching the biggest southern institution in the history of college basketball and it being no big deal. I am so happy I could shout - yet I remember when it was not so and part of me wonders why and how it took so long. Both doom preaching sides have been proven wrong - the world is not going to hell in a handbasket. We have come so far so fast that most of the young people hear can't even remember the arguments or even care what they were about - it is truly a beautiful thing. My pride has always been my race - my skin - that I did nothing to get. It was gift from God that I have always worn as a privelige. Now - when it is time to take it off for the good of the community and myself - I often hiccup in remembrance of all the good and bad times we had. I don't mean to speak in racial tones - sometimes I just see how far we have come.

There is a new world coming as we speak- much better for my children - as mine was much better than my parents. Their skin color will matter even less and they will be better for it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala@Mar 23 2004, 12:12 PM
                              I remember reading somewhere that if there was peace everywhere do you think people would have holidays to celebrate when peace first arrived. The answer was no, and they shouldn't, they should be out enjoying what they have everyday and that those who had fought hard to give them peace would prefer that.

That is sort of like this thread. I don't know when we went from the John Thompson Hoya's me vs. the world teams to Tubby coaching the biggest southern institution in the history of college basketball and it being no big deal. I am so happy I could shout - yet I remember when it was not so and part of me wonders why and how it took so long. Both doom preaching sides have been proven wrong - the world is not going to hell in a handbasket. We have come so far so fast that most of the young people hear can't even remember the arguments or even care what they were about - it is truly a beautiful thing. My pride has always been my race - my skin - that I did nothing to get. It was gift from God that I have always worn as a privelige. Now - when it is time to take it off for the good of the community and myself - I often hiccup in remembrance of all the good and bad times we had. I don't mean to speak in racial tones - sometimes I just see how far we have come.

There is a new world coming as we speak- much better for my children - as mine was much better than my parents. Their skin color will matter even less and they will be better for it.
                              I'll tell you this much, I heard my parents refer to their "black friends". It always was odd to me. My generation looks more towards the person than the persons skin. I can see how it is hard for you to let yourself believe that. There will always be racist idiots. But for the most part I really believe that the majority of the country has moved past all of this.
                              "They misunderestimated me."
                              Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."
                              -Hilton Head, S.C., Feb. 16, 2000

Gives you the warm fuzzies, doesn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X