Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will this prevent DUI's?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,114914,00.html

A new state law in Ohio requires judges to brand convicted drunk drivers with special “scarlet letter” license plates — with red numbers on a yellow background so other motorists will know exactly what they’ve done.

Is this a good idea? Will it make people stop drinking and driving? I doubt it, but I don't really have a problem with it.
    Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

I think other states have done this too, but I don't know how the results have turned out.

I think NYC takes the car and sells it or something.
    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by BurnKU@Mar 23 2004, 09:12 AM
      http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,114914,00.html

A new state law in Ohio requires judges to brand convicted drunk drivers with special “scarlet letter” license plates — with red numbers on a yellow background so other motorists will know exactly what they’ve done.

Is this a good idea? Will it make people stop drinking and driving? I doubt it, but I don't really have a problem with it.
      I think this would be fine. No one ever wants to hear they're wrong anymore. I have no problem with this idea.
      "They misunderestimated me."
      Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."—Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

"If you're sick and tired of the politics of cynicism and polls and principles, come and join this campaign."
      -Hilton Head, S.C., Feb. 16, 2000

Gives you the warm fuzzies, doesn't it?

Comment

Only YOU can prevent DUIs.

Shit.

Or is that Forest Fires?

Hell I dont know.

One leads to the other.
        Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

The only problem I see is that other family members may be stigmatized as well if they drive that car.

But, overall, I like it.
          When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

I'm more in favor of the two strike rule that Texas and Utah uses.

Caught once, pay heavy fines and or other fees.

Caught again, a train shall strike you head on.

Comment

Yeah, nothing kills me more than hearing so and so has been arrested for their 6th DUI. Seriously, if this is as bad a thing to do as they are trying to make us believe, then why the hell do they let people get away with it forever.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith@Mar 23 2004, 09:16 AM
                The only problem I see is that other family members may be stigmatized as well if they drive that car.

But, overall, I like it.
                the only way to stop drink driving is to punnish someone on their first offence. Depending on how far they are over the limit, ban them for 6 months, a year or two years. Maybe people wouldn't do it then.

This is my one strong pet peeve, I don't care if you smoke, kill yourself. However if you get behind a wheel you endanger innocent people.

Edit. Oh and if my in-laws are anything to go by, other family members wouldn't be stigmitized. This system would save money as you'd only need one license to go round a family of drunks.

Comment

I don't think this will "prevent" DUI though.
                  When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Gonzo@Mar 23 2004, 09:22 AM
                    Yeah, nothing kills me more than hearing so and so has been arrested for their 6th DUI. Seriously, if this is as bad a thing to do as they are trying to make us believe, then why the hell do they let people get away with it forever.
                    I don't understand how that happens. I know people that have had to serve jail time, although minimal, for 3.
                    Asked what he would do differently in Iraq, Kerry said, "Right now, what I would do differently is, I mean, look, I'm not the president, and I didn't create this mess so I don't want to acknowledge a mistake that I haven't made."

Comment

Originally posted by Weird_English_Guy+Mar 23 2004, 09:22 AM-->
                      QUOTE (Weird_English_Guy @ Mar 23 2004, 09:22 AM)

To me it sounds like an easier way to spot people out to the cops. They see the plate and think oh this person has a DUI so lets see if they can get them again.
                      Sponsor of:
                      Brian Elliott
                      Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                      5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

I think this would cause road rage and other things to happen.

How many of you peeps would taunt a driver if you saw his plate had the markings?

Come on, you know you would do the fake tilt to the mouth of a fake beer in hand.

You know you would.

Comment

Originally posted by JackSparrow@Mar 23 2004, 09:29 AM
                          I think this would cause road rage and other things to happen.

How many of you peeps would taunt a driver if you saw his plate had the markings?

Come on, you know you would do the fake tilt to the mouth of a fake beer in hand.

You know you would.
                          If that made them less likely to drink and drive, everyone would be safer.

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy@Mar 23 2004, 09:29 AM
                            To me it sounds like an easier way to spot people out to the cops. They see the plate and think oh this person has a DUI so lets see if they can get them again.
                            If people know it's easier for the cops to spot them out, is it less likely they'd drink and drive?

Ever not drive somewhere after a drink or two with a tail light out because you'd be easier to spot by the cops?

Comment

• Working...
                              X