Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kjoe
    replied
    Oh, what the hell. I am going to keep saying it, even though the only agreement I get is from republicans who think I am completely wrong. A third party effort which gets less than 5 percent of the vote, (usually it is about 1 to 2 percent) has consistently helped the person who the media tell you will be hurt. In 1948, Truman got competition from the left (Henry Wallace) and the right (Strom Thurmond). Truman won. In 1968, Nixon had competition on his right(George Wallace). Nixon won. In 1976, Gene McCarthy lost all the glory he established by challenging LBJ 8 years earlier. Democrats were sure he would cost Carter the election. Carter won. In 1980, Reagan had to contend with former republican John Anderson. Reagan won. In 1992, a case can be made that Perot cost Bush the election. Not as much as leaving that idiot Quayle on his ticket. In 2000, it was easy to point to the 97000 votes Nader got in Florida and compare it to the tiny difference between Bush and Gore. If Nader had never entered the race, Gore's connection to Clinton would have been talked about more, the environment and health care would have been talked about less, and fewer people total would have voted. Bush would have set the agenda about what was to be debated, and he would have carried several more states and would have actually won the popular vote. There is no way to compute how many people thought about not voting, thought about voting for Nader and finally voted for Gore. Damn, this is a lonely argument to make. I am voting for Kerry---I am not afraid of Nader and the things he will talk about. Screw Terry McAuliffe. Nader has already inspired the democrats to come up with two men, Edwards and Kerry, who are superior to Al Gore. Not that that's saying much.

Leave a comment:

• lazydaze
    replied
    "We can't afford to have Ralph Nader in the race," Democratic National Committee Chairman Terry McAuliffe told CNN on Friday. "This is about the future of our country. If you care about the environment, if you care about job growth, you've got to support the Democratic nominee. So I'm urging everybody to talk to Ralph Nader."

Leave a comment:

• DC Santana
    replied
    Where's Harold Stassen when you need him?

Leave a comment:

• lazydaze
    replied
    So what you're telling me, is that in your entire adult life, there has never been a Democratic candidate for any office that you considered worthy of your vote?  And you've only voted for one Republican?  Do you just not vote, or do you seek out independents only?
    I have voted independant.

I have never voted for a democrat presidential nominee.

On a general basis, I tend to align with those that seek to limit government intervention.

This next election is shaping up to be an exception.

Leave a comment:

• matt75
    replied
    No, I have not.

I have only voted for one republican. GHB the second go round. [/quote]
    So what you're telling me, is that in your entire adult life, there has never been a Democratic candidate for any office that you considered worthy of your vote? And you've only voted for one Republican? Do you just not vote, or do you seek out independents only?

Leave a comment:

• lazydaze
    replied
    Originally posted by matt75+Feb 21 2004, 09:34 PM-->
    QUOTE(matt75 @ Feb 21 2004, 09:34 PM)
    Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2004, 09:31 PM
    Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2004, 09:29 PM

• matt75
    replied
    Originally posted by SLUBLUE+Feb 21 2004, 09:35 PM-->
    QUOTE(SLUBLUE @ Feb 21 2004, 09:35 PM)
    Originally posted by [email protected] 21 2004, 09:31 PM

• SLUBLUE
    replied
    Originally posted by lazydaze+Feb 21 2004, 09:31 PM-->
    QUOTE(lazydaze @ Feb 21 2004, 09:31 PM)

• SLUBLUE
    replied
    he's not with the greens this time, that's not going to help him

he'll have Eddie Vedder's vote, that's about it.

Leave a comment:

• matt75
    replied
    Originally posted by lazydaze+Feb 21 2004, 09:31 PM-->
    QUOTE(lazydaze @ Feb 21 2004, 09:31 PM)

• lazydaze
    replied
    Originally posted by matt75+Feb 21 2004, 09:29 PM-->
    QUOTE(matt75 @ Feb 21 2004, 09:29 PM)

• matt75
    replied
    Originally posted by jhanke@Feb 21 2004, 09:27 PM
    I don't think so this time, those dems that voted nader last time wanted change and to get away from the Clinton legasy. Now it is the right causing problems and the left should unite against bush. This will be like Perot the second time, meaningless

I hope
    I certainly hope you're right! But I see this as being at least as close as the last election. A few thousan votes here or there could mean the Presidency. I can only hope Mr. Nader looks at the possible alternatives and chooses to sit this one out.

Leave a comment:

• jhanke
    replied
    I don't think so this time, those dems that voted nader last time wanted change and to get away from the Clinton legasy. Now it is the right causing problems and the left should unite against bush. This will be like Perot the second time, meaningless

I hope

Leave a comment:

• matt75
    started a topic My Repulican friends here most be estatic over the

My Repulican friends here most be estatic over the

I for one wish this guy would go away. But I think he's going to get in it tomorrow. It cost Democrats the White House last time and it could do the same thing again. Oh well, guess I just have to hope everyone is as sick of W as me.
Working...
X