DR. CONDOLEEZZA RICE RELEASES TRANSCRIPT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DR. CONDOLEEZZA RICE RELEASES TRANSCRIPT

For Immediate Release - Office of the Press Secretary - March 22, 2004 - 10:41 A.M. (EST)

DR. CONDOLEEZZA RICE RELEASES TRANSCRIPT OF DISPUTED PRIVATE CONVERSATION WITH FORMER CLINTON TERRORIST APPEASEMENT CZARINA RICHARD CLARKE
    Statement by the National Security Advisory

DR. RICE: Good morning. As the entire planet is now embarrassingly aware, last night saw former White House Terror Czar Richard Clarke appear on CBS News 60 Minutes, where he dared to venture off-script and bring up how before 9/11, President Bush and I weren't interested in killing any Muslims who don't own oil wells. In particular, Mr. Clarke made repeated reference to a certain private conversation between him and myself. And while I will not dignify his corroborated assertions by disputing them on the record, today I am releasing a transcript of said exchange, which I wisely pre-typed from memory in the highly unlikely event that a former Reagan-Bush official like Mr. Clarke would one day fall victim to a raging case of ethically-transmitted veracity.

OFFICIAL WHITE HOUSE TRANSCRIPT
    DATE: 07-27-2001
    PRESENT: Condoleezza Rice, Richard Clarke

[BEGIN TRANSCRIPT]

[Knock on door.]

DR. RICE: Come in.

RICHARD CLARKE: May I have a moment, Dr. Rice?

DR. RICE: A moment, yes. But spit it out, because I'm off to meet with President Bush in a few minutes.

RICHARD CLARKE: That's what I'd hoped to talk to you about, Dr. Rice. Have you had a chance to review the urgent memo I sent you six months ago?

DR. RICE: A memo? To me?

RICHARD CLARKE: That's right. The urgent memo about Al Qaeda?

DR. RICE: Al who?

RICHARD CLARKE: Al Qaeda. They're the ones who bombed our embassies in Africa and attacked the USS Cole. They were a clear and present danger under President Clinton, and are even moreso now, sir.

DR. RICE: Excuse me? Do I look like Karen Hughes to you? I'm a woman, fool!

RICHARD CLARKE: My mistake. Even moreso now, ma'am.

DR. RICE: Why you always gotta be disrespecting me like that, huh?

RICHARD CLARKE: Ma'am?

DR. RICE: What is it Mr. Clarke? A black woman can't understand what a threat is or isn't unless it's a Newport 100's embargo or the Surgeon General announcing fried chicken causes afro cancer?

RICHARD CLARKE: I never said any such thing!

DR. RICE: The hell you didn't, you liberal RACIST! But tell you what – I'll forgive the transgression, if you admit that this Al Qaeda homeboy didn't blow up the Cole.

DR. RICE: That's right. The President wants someone else to have done it. Specifically, Saddam Hussein – cleverly disguised as a dolphin and dragging a WWII ocean mine by his nutsack!

DR. RICE: Is there a fucking echo in here? Did you hear me, Mr. Clarke? I AXED YOU A QUESTION!

RICHARD CLARKE: I heard you, ma'am. Let me simply state for the record that Iraq is not a threat, and I'm extremely concerned that if we don't take action against Al Qaeda immediately, that something truly horrible will happen.

DR. RICE: We are taking action immediately, fool! Immediately after President Bush gets back from his month-long vacation on his luxury thousand-acre ranch. Anyway, that's only five weeks away. What the fuck's gonna happen between now and then? Even terrorists gotta kick back and chill until after Labor Day, right?

RICHARD CLARKE: Please Dr. Rice, all current intelligence points to an impending and catastrophic–

DR. RICE: Time's up! Me and the President have to talk about real security threats – like that one faggy dude in Crawford with the Gore/Lieberman sticker on his Toyota.

RICHARD CLARKE: But ma'am, please–

DR. RICE: Meeting over, whitey!

[END TRANSCRIPT]
    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Nick:

When I read this, I immediately thought of you.

rweiss
    Forum User

Posted: 07 Mar 2004 10:02 am

Post subject: Ban the exclamation point -- period.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Punctuation marks, by and large, are our friends. Commas provide useful pauses. Colons and semicolons provide a useful half measure between a full stop and a comma. Periods happily set off one idea from another. By all means, bring them to the party. They are companionable.

But, please, oh please, leave that miserable boor, the exclamation point, at home.

I say that emphatically, but without the use of that bit of punctuation at the end of my sentence.

It is unnecessary. You get my point, don’t you? I don’t need to rub your face in it. (Sometime later we might address the use of rhetorical questions -- and parentheses, for that matter.)

Lately, I feel as if I’ve been assaulted by exclamation points. The writers want to convey some sense of excitement. Frequently it surfaces in e-mail.

“Can’t wait to see you!” is a nice thing to say. But the fact is, you are waiting to see me – and I would feel just as appreciated if you were to say simply that, “It will be nice to see you.” Or: “I’m eager to see you.” And, of course, the visit will be so much more pleasant if you aren’t nearly as over the top as your exclamation point implies.

Actually, getting to see me isn’t nearly so exciting that it deserves an exclamation point. I can say that with some assurance because one of the most exciting things ever to occur – didn’t require this form of punctuation. It goes like this:

In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

To further support my thesis, I call not upon the Holy One, but the estimable Theodore M. Bernstein. His 1965 edition of “The Careful Writer’’ addresses well the use of the exclamation point which, he noted, was also known as the “screamer’’ or “astonisher.’’

Bernstein wrote that the exclamation point “is used sparingly because the statements that require it – those containing a strong emotional charge -- are themselves relatively rare and because omitting the mark often produces a kind of understatement that is strong in itself.’’

Bernstein noted, too, that advertising writers litter their copy with exclamation points -- “tricks of salesmanship’’ that “bear no relationship to general writing.’’

Bernstein does note that the exclamation point can be "indispensable to convey proper meaning" as when someone says: "You're a fine spectacle, you miserable creature!''

I will only suggest that if you employ the exclamation point excessively, that, as a writer, you may become a fine spectacle yourself.

Source

Comment

No shit, Backstop.

This guy is the king of the unnecessary puncuation marks.

Exclamations and bold.
      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Nice to know that we have a punctuation police on this forum.
        “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy@Mar 22 2004, 07:28 PM
          I think your sig is the EXACT opposite of reality. The "liberals" love Americans, but don't believe they can do anything by themselves - they need Mommy-government and big social programs to do everything. The conservatives think the best government is no government. It's not conservatives, it's authoritarians who believe that you can't criticize the government, and that they always know what's best for you. That's not a conservative POV.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy@Mar 22 2004, 07:28 PM
            SENTENCE FRAGMENT!

(just kidding, Razz.)

Comment

And to steal a page from your book, Razz:

"Its nice to avoid the discussion and make a joke." =]
              When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by backstop+Mar 22 2004, 07:34 PM-->
                QUOTE (backstop @ Mar 22 2004, 07:34 PM)

Originally posted by Airshark+Mar 22 2004, 07:33 PM-->
                QUOTE (Airshark @ Mar 22 2004, 07:33 PM)

Originally posted by Airshark@Mar 22 2004, 07:33 PM
                The "liberals" love Americans, but don't believe they can do anything by themselves
                Like keep a Fortune 500 company from dumping toxic waste in a a river .. or keep another from dissolving and reincorporating offshore to dodge paying their taxes?

We can't do that by ourselves.

ORGANIZE!
                Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Originally posted by Airshark@Mar 22 2004, 07:33 PM
                  I think your sig is the EXACT opposite of reality. The "liberals" love Americans, but don't believe they can do anything by themselves - they need Mommy-government and big social programs to do everything. The conservatives think the best government is no government. It's not conservatives, it's authoritarians who believe that you can't criticize the government, and that they always know what's best for you. That's not a conservative POV.
                  Well, you're wrong. It's the right that waves the flag 24/7 and bleats "America, right or wrong." See the deluge of attacks on the Dixie Chicks, the Democratic Party, and anybody else who questioned the wisdom of launching a war on Iraq. The hate was flowing freely one year ago. And surely I don't need to go into detail about the silliness of suggesting that liberals don't think people can fend for themselves. Or the silliness of believing that conservatives think "the best government is no government" when the size of government has ballooned, with no end in sight, since G.W. Bush took the White House, and has continued to skyrocket since the Republican Party took full control of the federal goverment.

If your response is that what Bush and the Republicans are doing is not the classic definition of "conservative", I'd suggest that conservatism, in the classic sense, is deader than a doornail. Goldwater conservative, at least, had an intellectual consistency that modern "conservatives" and the Republican Party sorely lack.

Comment

Nick:

When I read this, I immediately thought of you.
                    backstop, did you think that I actually wrote the Rice-Clarke article? Or:

backstop, don't think that I wrote the Rice-Clarke article! Or:

backstop, you certainly shouldn't think that I actually wrote the Rice-Clarke article! Or, my favorite:

backstop, if you think that I wrote the Rice-Clarke article, you are wrong!

In any case, you are correct: I often accentuate, perhaps to a fault. Thanks for noticing!
                    Norman Chad, syndicated columnist: “Sports radio, reflecting our sinking culture, spends entire days advising managers and coaches, berating managers and coaches, firing managers and coaches and searching the countryside for better middle relievers. If they just redirected their energy toward, say, crosswalk-signal maintenance, America would be 2 percent more livable.”

"The best argument against democracy," someone (Churchill?) said, "is a five minute conversation with the average voter."

Comment

Ha...no, I didn't think you were behind this one. But I've seen you in action before. Thanks for not taking it seriously.

Comment

Just proves the truism that liberals are the biggest racists.

Next on 60 minutes:

* Busing - how it will dramatically improve public education.

* Why the USSR is poised to dominate world affairs

* Bill Clinton: man from Hope

* Al Gore: man from Mars

Comment

Originally posted by Airshark+Mar 22 2004, 07:33 PM-->
                          QUOTE (Airshark @ Mar 22 2004, 07:33 PM)
                          Working...
                          X